Law School Discussion

<<< The Book of Mormon

nateDgr8

• Slightly Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: <<< The Book of Mormon
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 05:57:57 PM »
Does it actually describe the mandatory underwear style because that could be pretty entertaining...

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 06:59:28 PM »
Joseph Smith was a prophet, dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.....

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 07:00:48 PM »
I have read the BOM.  I converted about 4 years ago now.  I am also waiting for my LSAT scores, so I thought the ads were God's way of saying, "THIS is not important...stop stressing."  No luck, I'm still a mess.  ALSO...sadly the BOM does not discuss under-garments. ;)

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 11:54:37 PM »
Joseph Smith was a prophet, dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.....
;D That was the first thought that crossed my head when I saw the title of the thread

I don't think that most Christians object to the actual text of the Book of Mormon; rather, they reject the idea that there could be another book of scripture outside of the Bible.
I don't think that's true. Most Christians, at least educated ones, are well aware of the various councils that met in the 300-500 AD period to determine which books, and gospels particularly, would be included in the official Bible and which wouldn't, based largely upon a Greek bias. I don't think these people could be that bothered by the idea that there might be other valid scripture out there.

There is a large Mormon population in my town and I have worked closely with a handful - they seem to be the most family-oriented and friendly people I know, and they explain their spirituality in a really logical and appealing manner. But everything they've told me about their historical beliefs is just appallingly ridiculous. Maybe those beliefs are not representative of the Book of Mormon though.

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 07:50:32 AM »
I've NEVER seen an ad for a free book of Mormon on here... only Verizon and various things to get you ready for Law School- Essay Edge, Testmaster, etc.

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 09:10:06 AM »
Some really immoral people download adblock plus and have almost completely forgotten what those annoying ads even look-like.

gollymolly wrote:
I don't think that's true. Most Christians, at least educated ones, are well aware of the various councils that met in the 300-500 AD period to determine which books, and gospels particularly, would be included in the official Bible and which wouldn't, based largely upon a Greek bias. I don't think these people could be that bothered by the idea that there might be other valid scripture out there.

I think you're overestimating how flexible mainline Christians are about scriptural integrity. It's been a closed canon for about 1700 years, except for Martin Luther removing a bit during the reformation. I really can't imagine anything being added and accepted as authentic at this point, unless it's part of the formation of an essentially new religion (LDS, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc.). How many Christians can you find that accept the Gospel of Thomas or Judas or Mary Magdalene as 'valid scripture'?

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 10:22:02 AM »
When I'm dropping a deuce at work, quite often I hear the door open and then the ostensible evacuator, upon realizing that a stall is occupied, leaves.  Is this common that folks would rather hold it in and risk developing roids than share the facility?  On the flip side, when I enter and a stall is occupied, a once leisurely evacuation morphs into a frantic wipe and flush fest.

Is it more likely that the emanations from your lower sphincter have fouled the air like a Christian using logic to justify their mythology, and it's for this reason the other guest with a pressing matter chose to return at a later time?

While we're on the subject of the Book of Mormon, anyone a pastafarian?  The other day I was chowing on some ramen, and the great Noodly one gave me a vision inside the box I was meditating on of a glorious intergalactic battle of aliens and predators.  It was not unlike the days of Xenu and the great purgings.

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 10:33:44 AM »
I can't imagine that it would be too absurd for God to reveal things to people on the other side of the world.  It never made sense to me that it would have only been revealed to the people of Israel.  Just because a group of people a few hundred years after Christ decided what to accept and what not to accept as scripture doesn't mean that nothing else has been revealed.  I bet there are more scriptures that we don't even know about.

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 10:54:02 AM »
I can't imagine that it would be too absurd for God to reveal things to people on the other side of the world.  It never made sense to me that it would have only been revealed to the people of Israel.  Just because a group of people a few hundred years after Christ decided what to accept and what not to accept as scripture doesn't mean that nothing else has been revealed.  I bet there are more scriptures that we don't even know about.

600 BC (2600 BP). 

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2007, 01:20:48 PM »
Some really immoral people download adblock plus and have almost completely forgotten what those annoying ads even look-like.

Right, because when the commercial comes on during the 700 Club, you hold our urine in to watch them as a good consuming viewer should, rather than to go pee.