Law School Discussion

FSU COL 1L Taking Questions

Re: FSU COL 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2007, 07:30:21 PM »
Damn, I guess I should have opened my eyes a little wider while driving around in Tally.

Sounds like a tort in the making if you ask me....

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2007, 07:36:15 PM »
how cold does it get up there?

It was unseasonably warm this semester....I remember I was watching the Today Show on the 14th right before I left and Florida was the only state that had 80 degree weather....I almost felt bad because we were wearing shorts and the Midwest hasn't had power for like 3 weeks or so....

The weather is actually pretty weird in Tally....There were a few days when it was in the 30's going to class, but up near the high 70's low 80's by 2 or 3 pm.  In August its really hot so if you live by yourself, make sure you're sitting down when you take a look at your first two electric bills....Right around mid October though, you can basically turn the air off and it won't get cold enough to where you have to turn the heat on (at least it didn't this semester)...Ok, I'm done being Al Roker...HTH

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2007, 07:37:20 PM »
I think someone asked about things to do in Tally....Well here's a link I found:

http://www.internationalcenter.fsu.edu/j1scholars/livingintallahassee.cfm

iLukeisamazing

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2007, 07:46:16 PM »
Thanks 1L! I have a buddy who is a 1L this year at FSU and absolutely loves it. He raves about the profs and how helpful everyone is. He's looking to do small town law so he has a unique prospective from most people in law school.

In regards to rankings: I've been hearing that FSU Law is going to be moving up in the newest rankings as soon as they come out. I know that the new building is being talked about as an amazing new place to learn, and hopefully it will be.

Anyway, I'm leaning real hard towards going to FSU. I can get in-state after 1 year and even out-of-state isn't that high, for a law school.

Thanks.

iLukeisamazing

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2007, 08:12:34 PM »
Bump.

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2007, 10:55:59 AM »
Thanks 1L! I have a buddy who is a 1L this year at FSU and absolutely loves it. He raves about the profs and how helpful everyone is. He's looking to do small town law so he has a unique prospective from most people in law school.

In regards to rankings: I've been hearing that FSU Law is going to be moving up in the newest rankings as soon as they come out. I know that the new building is being talked about as an amazing new place to learn, and hopefully it will be.

Anyway, I'm leaning real hard towards going to FSU. I can get in-state after 1 year and even out-of-state isn't that high, for a law school.

Thanks.

Just a couple of things here. Let me also preface this by saying that I'm a 3L at FSU.

The "new building" is actually an "old building." It's the First District Court of Appeal that's right across from the law school. There's no timetable as to when that building will even be in possession of FSU. Before FSU gets it, a new District Court of Appeal has to be built. I don't think construction on that building has even begun yet. When it does, it will take a year or more for that building to be built. Then the old DCA will have to be remodled for the law school. So you're looking at probably 3 years before this new addition to the law school is ready. This means that next year's entering class probably won't ever even see the inside of the "new building."

The Profs at FSU are great as well. Very accessable to students and very knowledgeable. Most have had clerkships and many have a Ph.D in another filed or at the very least a Masters or a LLM. Especially the newer faculty.   

In regards to rankings, it is likely that FSU will move up next year because they have been aggressively increasing the entering class's median LSAT and GPA. (I believe the median LSAT's are greater than UF's now). They have also lowered the amount of students in the entering class. (lowering the class to around 200 students while at the same time taking a large number of transfer students) Only time will tell if this strategy works. That being said...other law schools have been doing the same thing. So you don't really know how this will effect the rankings. Everyone at FSU thought FSU was going to move up from 53 last year, yet their ranking stayed the same. So the rankings are a fickle thing.

Also, I believe that someone said that the cost of living in Tallahassee a month can be as low as 800 dollars. This is a very "generous" statement. Sure, you can live for $800 a month if a few things happen:

1) You live with 2 or three other people.
2) You have no car payment or insurance payment.
3) You eat at home every day, and never go out to eat or drink. And eating at home consists of sandwhiches and ramen noodles.
4) You have no bills other than rent.

That being said, this won't apply to most people. I think a more accurate reflection of Tallahassee cost of living is around 1200 dollars a month. This will provide you a comfortable lifestyle. Trust me, you don't want to be a hermit in Tallahassee.

Finally, stay the h e l l away from Quincy. That place is the armpit of Florida.

iLukeisamazing

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2007, 07:53:16 PM »

Thanks.

Just a couple of things here. Let me also preface this by saying that I'm a 3L at FSU.

The "new building" is actually an "old building." It's the First District Court of Appeal that's right across from the law school. There's no timetable as to when that building will even be in possession of FSU. Before FSU gets it, a new District Court of Appeal has to be built. I don't think construction on that building has even begun yet. When it does, it will take a year or more for that building to be built. Then the old DCA will have to be remodled for the law school. So you're looking at probably 3 years before this new addition to the law school is ready. This means that next year's entering class probably won't ever even see the inside of the "new building."

The Profs at FSU are great as well. Very accessable to students and very knowledgeable. Most have had clerkships and many have a Ph.D in another filed or at the very least a Masters or a LLM. Especially the newer faculty.   

In regards to rankings, it is likely that FSU will move up next year because they have been aggressively increasing the entering class's median LSAT and GPA. (I believe the median LSAT's are greater than UF's now). They have also lowered the amount of students in the entering class. (lowering the class to around 200 students while at the same time taking a large number of transfer students) Only time will tell if this strategy works. That being said...other law schools have been doing the same thing. So you don't really know how this will effect the rankings. Everyone at FSU thought FSU was going to move up from 53 last year, yet their ranking stayed the same. So the rankings are a fickle thing.

Also, I believe that someone said that the cost of living in Tallahassee a month can be as low as 800 dollars. This is a very "generous" statement. Sure, you can live for $800 a month if a few things happen:

3) You eat at home every day, and never go out to eat or drink. And eating at home consists of sandwhiches and ramen noodles.

That being said, this won't apply to most people. I think a more accurate reflection of Tallahassee cost of living is around 1200 dollars a month. This will provide you a comfortable lifestyle. Trust me, you don't want to be a hermit in Tallahassee.

Finally, stay the h e l l away from Quincy. That place is the armpit of Florida.

Dawg:

1. You're very right about Quincey, it's a cesspool.

2. I knew that it was the old DCA building, but I was hoping they'd move in while I was there, if I end up going. Do you have any insight on the remodeling of it?

3. I have been looking around for places to live. I'm married, but still young, got any suggestions?

4. The rankings are strange, but from everything I've read and heard they have an extremely high ceiling and the alumni base is growing steadily. It only serves to reason that if you increase your staff and your median LSAT goes from 157 to 160 in 3 years, you're bound to improve.

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2007, 11:07:42 AM »

Thanks.

Dawg:

1. You're very right about Quincey, it's a cesspool.

2. I knew that it was the old DCA building, but I was hoping they'd move in while I was there, if I end up going. Do you have any insight on the remodeling of it?

3. I have been looking around for places to live. I'm married, but still young, got any suggestions?

4. The rankings are strange, but from everything I've read and heard they have an extremely high ceiling and the alumni base is growing steadily. It only serves to reason that if you increase your staff and your median LSAT goes from 157 to 160 in 3 years, you're bound to improve.

They're going to remodel the old DCA building into one large courtroom and several smaller court-rooms. The idea is to be able to host moot court and mock trial competitions. It's also a three story building with a basement. So they will re-model it into class rooms as well but it will also have offices for student organizations, the journals, moot court and mock trial, and also have more faculty offices.

As far as where to live in Tallahassee if you're young and married, you could try Southwood, but that will be more expensive. There are literally tons of neighborhoods in town, and you can find a reasonable house if you just take the time to look. I'm sorry, but I can't be any more specific than that.

If you have any more questions about FSU, job prospects, or Tallahassee, just let me know.