Law School Discussion

FSU COL 1L Taking Questions

Denon

Re: FSU COL 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 03:14:29 PM »
Actually, I do have a question for you. Since I've heard so many good things from the people I meet about the school, it's definitely in contention for me. HOWEVER, I feel like Tallahassee is a great place to live if a) you are 18 years old and want to spend 90% (or more) of your time drinking/drunk. or b) you live in Killearn and have a family. That being said, I am neither and am wondering what things there are to do in Tallahassee for the mid-twenties (or just post undergraduate) crowd. Even the law students I knew hung out at Potbellies and even though I love happy hour, I do not want to still be hanging out there when I'm 26. Thanks for your help. Merry Christmas too...if you're into that!

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 04:19:14 PM »
Actually, I do have a question for you. Since I've heard so many good things from the people I meet about the school, it's definitely in contention for me. HOWEVER, I feel like Tallahassee is a great place to live if a) you are 18 years old and want to spend 90% (or more) of your time drinking/drunk. or b) you live in Killearn and have a family. That being said, I am neither and am wondering what things there are to do in Tallahassee for the mid-twenties (or just post undergraduate) crowd. Even the law students I knew hung out at Potbellies and even though I love happy hour, I do not want to still be hanging out there when I'm 26. Thanks for your help. Merry Christmas too...if you're into that!

Yes, Potbellies is a cornerstone for law students, along with Clydes and Bullwinkles....we actually had our post- exams happy hour at Potbellies, which was nicey done, because as its all over and you begin to think about how well you did (or didn't do), drinks were in your hand, and you just kinda forgot about it....very cool process......and yes, there are 18 yr. old, fake- id holders everywhere!!! 

Umm..you're right, Tally is not exactly known for its cultural attractions, and as an alum (I think you said you were), I understand it'd probably be tough for you to go back and deal with the whole "been there, done that" mentality you'd likely have...One cool thing though is that a lot of your classmates will not be from Tally and (especially in the beginning) will want to venture out and explore...Try hitting up some of the places on Thomasville....I've found them to be more grad friendly...Places like Finnegans, Red Bar, Kool Beans, Chez Pierre, Sky Bar, etc.

In terms of non- drinking activities, I'm not going to lie to you and compare Tally to DC or Chicago.....we have no Spy Museum, Sears Tower, but we do have 7 days of Opening Nights in Jan or Feb. (I'm pretty excited) put on by FSU's nationally recognized Musical Theatre program.  Also, there a lot of parks, restaurants, and the reservation is always nice...For me, if I'm not studying, I'll usually try to get in a workout at the Leach, see a movie, or grab a bite to eat at a nice restuarant or a drink with a couple of friends....Also, if I hump it during the week, I can visit friends in Tampa, Orlando, J-ville, or ATL which aren't too far away....

Okay, I haven't provided much in this area at all...I tried as best I could, but you're right, there just isn't much to do besides football and drinking.

iLukeisamazing

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 04:44:13 PM »
Wow, I'm glad you came along. I've been accepted to FSU and I am really, really excited about the possibilities. I have a few questions:

1. What are your chances for networking with professors (outside of class) and professionals in the area?

2. How is the new building looking? When are they looking to move over there?

3. What are the rankings going to look like? I have heard it on good authority that FSU may become a T1 next year... what say ye?

Any random info would be EXTREMELY helpful to me.

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 08:10:19 PM »
Ok random questions:

1. Where is the closest Starbucks and how nice is it? (Sadly this is a serious question.)

2. My SO is a musician and we have a full studio in our home. We will need a home on a few acres so he can make some noise. Right now we live on 27 acres which works great, however we won't need anything that big.. even 4 or 5 would work. Where could we find a house to buy or rent that is still a reasonable commute to campus?

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 08:38:44 PM »
I think the only Starbucks in Tallahassee is inside the Target store on Apalachee and isn't walking distance by any means, but is a reasonable drive away (except maybe during rush hour).

iLukeisamazing

• Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2007, 09:47:12 PM »
I think the only Starbucks in Tallahassee is inside the Target store on Apalachee and isn't walking distance by any means, but is a reasonable drive away (except maybe during rush hour).

I just searched online, there are 8 in Tally. Just so you know.

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2007, 08:50:10 AM »
Damn, I guess I should have opened my eyes a little wider while driving around in Tally.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2007, 06:08:03 AM »
how cold does it get up there?

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2007, 07:22:12 PM »
Wow, I'm glad you came along. I've been accepted to FSU and I am really, really excited about the possibilities. I have a few questions:

1. What are your chances for networking with professors (outside of class) and professionals in the area?

2. How is the new building looking? When are they looking to move over there?

3. What are the rankings going to look like? I have heard it on good authority that FSU may become a T1 next year... what say ye?

Any random info would be EXTREMELY helpful to me.

1. I think this is a great question.  I know you always hear on visits and read in brochures that professors are approachable, but I can say this is especially true at FSU.  For the most part, all of the 1L professors, did a really good job of relating to us as individuals as well as the experience.  They, after all, have went through it also.  With that being said, I don't want to give the impression that they are handing out jobs or anything....It's more of a, "hey, I specialize in environmental law while I'm not teaching Torts and there is this really good speaker coming," etc.  As far as networking with professionals in the area, I would say that this is an area where you should have no problem.  I think I mentioned earlier about the lunch period everyday....It's basically like high- school in the sense that there are no classes scheduled from 12:30-1:30 and there are several networking opportunities everyday...There are a few student organizations that have community contacts as well....For example, the Womens Law Symposium did tons of stuff this semester....In addition, we are really close to the Capital and downtown lobbying firms so professionals in those capacities are also hanging around.

2.  The new building looks great....I've looked at the plans (not too closely though), but its not something you hear about everyday...To be honest, I'm not sure when we are moving over there.  Here's a link to the plans for those that haven't seen them:
http://www.law.fsu.edu/prospective_students/expansion.html

3.  Not sure about the rankings either....I never really paid attention to them, even while applying....Is US News changing the methodology for this upcoming year?  If I'm not mistaking they are so I'm not really sure how'll it'll all play out...Do they take facilities into account?  If so, the new building (or donated building) should help us out and so should the bar passage rates....Really, I feel like, while we are not one of "the elite," we are good enough that if you do well, you should do well.  Make sense?

I love giving random info....let me know if you need more.....In this area I'd first start off by saying supplements saved my life!!! literally!!! Well, hopefully they saved my life (we haven't gotten grades yet, Still!!)....You'll see many students with the E&E's and Emmanuels, but trust me when I say that not every one that has them looks at them...They really help...particularly for torts and civ pro...I used E&E's and they really help, especially when preparing for exams.....let' see...I book briefed (using the multi- colored highlighter routine).....Working out is good....I didn't hook up with classmates....and I ate my vegetables....you know, normal stuff.

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2007, 07:29:06 PM »
Ok random questions:

1. Where is the closest Starbucks and how nice is it? (Sadly this is a serious question.)

2. My SO is a musician and we have a full studio in our home. We will need a home on a few acres so he can make some noise. Right now we live on 27 acres which works great, however we won't need anything that big.. even 4 or 5 would work. Where could we find a house to buy or rent that is still a reasonable commute to campus?

1. Wow, 8 starbucks locations in Tally, huh???  Did you count the one we have in the student lounge on the second floor??? Thats right, we've been commercialized....It's actually only like a half menu or so, but it really helps for 8am classes....I usually bring my own thermos and refills are only like .93 or so......There's another Starbucks on Tennessee by a couple of fast food joints and AJ's Sports bar....It's on the edge of the other side of campus from the lawschool.....Also, there's another on Monroe....I'm not sure about the others.

2. Not too sure about this one....I'd go with either Wakulla or Quincy which I think are about 20-30 minutes away....I've never been out there, but they are smaller than Tallahassee and I'd imagine have a lower cost of living....I'm not sure what you're used to, but maybe 20-30 minutes each way is reasonable....So, you have 27 acres, huh???  Wow, that's a lot of noise!