Law School Discussion

FSU COL 1L Taking Questions

FSU COL 1L Taking Questions
« on: December 18, 2007, 12:07:06 PM »
shoot....

Re: FSU COL 1L Taking Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 03:23:18 PM »
how do you feel about the almost 25 players being suspended for the gaylord music city bowl?

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 03:52:57 PM »
In your opinion, what are some good reasons to choose FSU over UF? What summer opportunities are available? What's your cost of living in Tallahassee?

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 03:56:17 PM »
Tag.

PS: Why won't FSU call me? I would have been in by now last year. (Sorry had to get that in there)  ;)

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 06:30:36 PM »
25 players, Wow!!! I actually didn't know about that....I'm not too sure FSU had much of a chance anyway....I do, however, think they made a good move naming Jimbo Bobby's successor

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 07:02:21 PM »
In your opinion, what are some good reasons to choose FSU over UF? What summer opportunities are available? What's your cost of living in Tallahassee?

Good question...I was dinged by UF so I never had to make any comparisons.  Two reasons that pop into my head right away though are student enrollment and bar passage rates.  UF's enrollment is right around 1300 or so and FSU's is a little less than 800.  You're obviously probably more concerned about the 1L class size, and while I don't know UF's, FSU's is 200.  In terms of bar passage rates, I know FSU has placed first in the state 3 out of the last 4 times the test has been administered.  HTH.

As for summer opportunities, I personally don't have a definitive job set up for this summer, but am looking right now in Tally and other areas of FL, GA, SC/NC, etc....push come to shove, I can work some family connections.  The career services folks did a presentation and critiqued our resumes and set us up with access to the job search website the COL uses.  Really, I feel like you're pretty much on your own in this area.  Not because the administration isn't helpful, its just tough to get your foot in the door without grades.  I was on this board last year about this time and FSU definitely took a bashing.  That being said, I must say that I am surprised with how many employers, local alums, local attorneys, judges, professors with connections, etc. that are willing to help out.  These people are always around and there are literally 5 or 6 networking/information gathering opportunities during the lunch period every day........Honestly, I don't know many people openly talking about having firm jobs/clerkships/etc. set up for the summer at all.  Most of us just focused on getting the grades first, you know?.  As an alternative to employment, many students are leaning towards going abroad this summer.  We have a programs in several different areas of the world, Oxford and Rotterdam being the most popular.

My cost- of- living is pretty low- from my perspective (btw $800-$900/mnth).  I guess it just really depends on what you're used to paying for Room/Board.  Without too much trouble you can find a good one bdrm for between $675-$800/month.  There is no public transportation, but the upshot is that everything is really close, so you don't spend a whole lot on gas.  Plus the drink specials are not bad either.

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
Tag.

PS: Why won't FSU call me? I would have been in by now last year. (Sorry had to get that in there)  ;)

PennyLane-
I'm sure you'll be okay....Are you really wanting FSU, or just tired of waiting? 

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 07:54:18 PM »
Tag.

PennyLane-
I'm sure you'll be okay....Are you really wanting FSU, or just tired of waiting? 

It is tied with 2 others for my #1. It seems like in the past they have let people in (pretty much) in the order in which they apply.... if they are going to get in. They skipped right over me.

Denon

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 08:38:24 PM »
PennyLane - Stay strong! I think the holidays are throwing things off a bit, but your numbers are strong for FSU. Don't let time make you doubt that. Good luck!

As a side note, I definitely think the cost can be way less than 800-900/month. (I just moved from Tallahassee last week and lived there for the last five year) While I lived there my rent was as cheap at 275 and a much as 400 per month. Granted all the places I lived were with roommates and I never lived in one of the big apartment complexes. Those are definitely the most expensive. However, I always lived walking distance to campus cause parking is horrible! Also, there definitely is public transportation in Tallahassee. It's called Taltran and although I never familiarized myself with the system, my roommate freshmen year used it a lot. There are several stops in the city, but not so much if you head north. (Don't worry, there's nothing out there anyway.)Obviously, I do not go to the law school, but have known a few people who go/went there. Mostly I hear about government jobs, but they are fine with that. I don't think it's the scenario where they really would like to work big law, but can't get in. I think they are legitimately satisfied with their career paths and all the students I've talked to love to school. And yes, the drink specials are excellent.

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 09:58:52 AM »
PennyLane - Stay strong! I think the holidays are throwing things off a bit, but your numbers are strong for FSU. Don't let time make you doubt that. Good luck!

As a side note, I definitely think the cost can be way less than 800-900/month. (I just moved from Tallahassee last week and lived there for the last five year) While I lived there my rent was as cheap at 275 and a much as 400 per month. Granted all the places I lived were with roommates and I never lived in one of the big apartment complexes. Those are definitely the most expensive. However, I always lived walking distance to campus cause parking is horrible! Also, there definitely is public transportation in Tallahassee. It's called Taltran and although I never familiarized myself with the system, my roommate freshmen year used it a lot. There are several stops in the city, but not so much if you head north. (Don't worry, there's nothing out there anyway.)Obviously, I do not go to the law school, but have known a few people who go/went there. Mostly I hear about government jobs, but they are fine with that. I don't think it's the scenario where they really would like to work big law, but can't get in. I think they are legitimately satisfied with their career paths and all the students I've talked to love to school. And yes, the drink specials are excellent.

Denon-
Everything you are saying is correct,however, my 800-900 estimate was for total COL, not just rent.  For someone that is a little older 25, I am paying for everything on my own.  Thus, I thought it would be better to give PennyLane an estimate that was on the higher side, which I might add, is still pretty low when compared to living in a NYC, Miami, or DC.  When you factor in car payments, health and auto insurance, rent, cable and electricity for one person, cell phone, a credit card payment, food, and entertainment, its hard to keep it under $1000/month...I, actually was surprised about how much money I've saved....

As for some of your other points that are again correct...I'd like to offer a different perspective...While, you know 1 person that rode Taltran, I know of no one....Based on that, public transportation is pretty much non- existent...Also, as a law student, time- management is key in that you don't have a lot of time to wait for the bus (especially if you study at the library and want to ride it at night)...Also, I'm sure you can find a room in a house for around $275 or $300, but that will definitely be with roommates and, I personally could not imagine living with roommates again....If any of you do, I would definitely make sure that they are grad students like yourself, as law students would be less than ideal...One thing that you'll soon realize is that there are times, when you will want to run as far away from your classmates as possible....I'm serious people are freaking out all the time!!

Parking does seem to be terrible for folks on the main campus, but the law school has its own parking lot and as a 1L, you're bound to have a few 8ams during the week....Parking should be no problem if you can get there by 8am....As for leaving during the day and coming back, parking may be a bit cumbersome, but most of us chose to go ahead and pay for parking across the street from the law school in the Civic Center lot...Parking is $100/semester and you can come and go as you please...Its really not a bad deal at all...A lot of students take advantage of it...There's also a parking garage being built across the street which will help out a lot.

Denon is right about the bolded above...My classmates are all extremely intelligent and could have went to schools that were ranked much higher, but for whatever reason, chose FSU...Most of them are Florida residents and want to end up returning to either Tampa or Jacksonville (it seems like that's where most of them are from)....This is completely doable from FSU....Plus, as a Florida resident, tuition to either FSU or UF is a steal...

Penny-
Your numbers seem strong and I'm sure you will be fine...If you have any other questions and/or tid bits of info you'd like, feel free to fire away.

Denon-
Thanks for your perspective...It looks like you hvae some friends at the ls right now, so I'm sure most of your questions can be answered by them and you also seem to be pretty used to Tally...If you, however, have any questions (Im not sure if you said you're considering FSU or not) about 1L life from someone on the inside, feel free to fire away also.

Have a good Christmas everyone!