Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anybody tried the PowerScore individual tutoring for Logic Games?  (Read 945 times)

Sra

• View Profile
    • Email
The package is $500 for 5 hours of one-on-one instruction re: logic games. They also throw in the LG Bible and The Next 10 Actual LSATs. I really need some help with my logic games, and I've read the Bible already (and it was helpful), but my problem is with getting the set-ups right within the allotted time and not freaking out in the process. I just want to know if anyone has tried this program and would recommend it. I'm thinking this would be more worth my money than taking the weekend course for $350, because I'm doing well on the other sections of the test and think that individual instruction would be better for me anyway.

LWS08

• View Profile
Re: Anybody tried the PowerScore individual tutoring for Logic Games?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 02:00:59 PM »
I purchased 2 individual tutoring sessions for Logic Games and it really helped me a lot. Just observing the instructor's thought process for the different types of games help me with the set ups when I worked on my own. I would recommend it.
"A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste."

hort stu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 06:22:42 PM »
PS tutors basically teach what is in the bibles.  You could save yourself some money, buy the bible, and study the hell out of it.  Maybe the ultimate setup guide would help you too.

As far as tutoring goes, Why not get 2x + as many hours for your money? It is less than half the price if you cut out the middle man.  PS tutors do private tutoring too if you can track them down.  Try craigs list or ask for recomendations based on your geographic area on LSD.  Any tutor will focus on your weak points.  Learn the bible inside and out first and get the most for your money.

Good luck

greenman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 06:40:59 PM »
I didn't try the individual tutoring, so sorry if my reply is useless to you, but I was having the same problem. I did the bible, lots of practice, etc. but it didnt help too much. I was still taking 12 or so minutes per game.

I compiled a "book" of every game section in the past 10-12 years, and practiced them three times. By the end of it, I could do ANY game within 5 minutes. It was a lot of work, but its the main thing that worked for me. I aced the games section when I eventually took the LSAT for the second time.

Just thought I give my two cents before you go out and spend the big bucks on a tutor.

traydeuce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 09:55:06 PM »
No, but their book is helpful, although I don't actually do any of what they said in there... but it seems like an approach that would definitely work for some, especially with the harder games. I just didn't really think that all that diagramming and plotting out all the things that couldn't possibly go in each slot was a good use of time.

traydeuce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 11:54:26 PM »
No, but their book is helpful, although I don't actually do any of what they said in there... but it seems like an approach that would definitely work for some, especially with the harder games. I just didn't really think that all that diagramming and plotting out all the things that couldn't possibly go in each slot was a good use of time.

So are you advocating the visualization method instead of writing stuff down as you go (taking notes)?  You got a photographic memory?  Not trying to defend PS, the grouping game part of the LGB is pretty weak.  It's like Dave fell asleep after writing up a ton about easy linear games. What do you suggest?

I do have a photographic memory, as a matter of fact... I wouldn't really suggest what I do for others, but basically, all I diagram is the rules. And not even all of those, but if it says something like O is before H but after L, I find that kind of language is a little confusing and it's best to write down H>O>L so I don't waste time rereading the rule. If it's a rule like, S is always before T, I don't bother to write down S > T. But yeah, mostly I diagram the rules, and, on specific questions where they say "if S is in the 5th spot..." then I'll diagram that question, and if it's a game where I feel a diagram's needed, like the witnesses game where you really weren't going to get anywhere unless you made the W-S inference (or however it went), then I'll diagram. That said, a hardcore diagramming method where you identify the templates and whatever probably would've served me a lot better on the September games, a couple of those were pretty tough.

hort stu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 12:59:41 PM »
I didn't try the individual tutoring, so sorry if my reply is useless to you, but I was having the same problem. I did the bible, lots of practice, etc. but it didnt help too much. I was still taking 12 or so minutes per game.

I compiled a "book" of every game section in the past 10-12 years, and practiced them three times. By the end of it, I could do ANY game within 5 minutes. It was a lot of work, but its the main thing that worked for me. I aced the games section when I eventually took the LSAT for the second time.

Just thought I give my two cents before you go out and spend the big bucks on a tutor.

Greenman that is great advice.  That was my retake strategy and I'm very glad to hear it worked so well for you.

That was worth much more than 2 cents.

Sra

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 02:59:50 PM »
Thank you everyone for the great advice.

I'm still undecided about whether to sign on for the tutoring program or not. I read the LGB, and thought it was helpful, but my LG sections are still pretty bad. I appreciate the advice about making a book compiled of LG sections. I think I will try that and see if it helps before deciding to do the tutoring. I'm not taking the test till June, so I should have some time to try out a few techniques before selling out the cash.

Thanks again for the comments.