Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Military Deferment  (Read 721 times)

hs1082

• View Profile
    • Email
Military Deferment
« on: December 18, 2007, 02:53:14 AM »
Hi, I am currently a senior in NYU, graduating in May 2008 with a BS in Finance. Took the Lsats and now i am applying to law schools in NYC area, fordham, brooklyn, st john, cardozo, etc. I am seriously considering enlisting after I graduate for 2 years in the army. I believe I have a good chance of getting into some of the aformentioned schools. Now if I do get in, can I apply for a deferment or anything? How does that process work? Rules and regulations? anyone here in a similar boat?

thanks.

Please keep this thread professional (no politics, etc)

kmac128

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Military Deferment
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 08:05:07 AM »
congrats on thinking about serving, it can be a great thing and a life changer.  that being said, you need to remember that the army isnt like a normal business.  if you sign a contract with the army for two years and get a two year def from law school, you may not make it.  if you unit is with a few months of deploying, with happens a lot with 15 month deployments every 12 months, you get stop lossed.  this means if you sign a two year contract in say june of 08 planning on attending law school in august of 10, might not happend.  if you unit is planning on deploying even 3 months after you were supposed to get out youll be stuck.  this means you might not get back from iraq until june 10 plus 15 months is sep 2011 plus really a few months to out process and get you paper work through.

look, im not trying to scare you away, i think it could be great for you, just wanna back sure youre checking the depth before you jump in.

tebucky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 10:13:31 AM »
Hi there,

I was in the Army for quite some time.  I would say two things to you if you're considering this course.

1.  Make damn sure you know what you're doing!!!!  For example, have you thought of a specific MOS that you want to pursue?  Are you ready to spend 1 year + in Iraq and probably not ETS at your two year mark?  Are you aware of the 6 year reserve commitment you will have at the back end of your 2 year active stint?  Are you aware that of your two years at least your first 6 months will be in training?  Have you thought about the cost/benefit analysis of being enlisted vice being an officer?  There's alot to consider here...

2.  Schools are NOT obligated to grant you a deferral of two years because you want to join the Army.  If you were ALREADY in the reserves or guard and got deployed, they would be forced to grant you a deferral under the SSCRA, but just because you decided that you'd rather join the Army than go to law school, well that's your choice and two years is a long time to defer.  Also, you may get out after two years, but you may not.  The Army has their ways of keeping people around long after they've decided to ETS...

Personally, I would say if you want to go to law school, than do that and go into JAG afterwards.  If you want to go into the Army, than go and commit to that and worry about law school down the line!

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 11:01:17 AM »
Currently a member of the reserves and having done 4 years active with a combat tour after which I was involuntarily extended and then having been called off of the IRR, I would concur with the previous poster. 
I doubt a school will give you a two-year deferment, especially since you would not have SSCRA's protections.  Every website I've read indicates only a one year deferment.  I think the only way you could realistically pull it off would be going into the reserves, splitting your basic and AIT over summers.  There is no way for you to become an officer at that point though, since I think you need at least 4 months consecutive, not including OBC.  I would highly recommend you skip the enlisted or active duty non-JAG side of the house, and just come in as a direct commission after law school.  Basically, my plan is just to become a JAG after passing the bar.
If you do enlist, I would highly recommend demanding that the recruiter get you 27D, which is a paralegal.  It is probably the best MOS in the Army from the standpoint of the caliber of people you will work with, the exposure to various types of legal work, and overall suck factor.  Everyone says it, but be very careful with the recruiters.  If you only intend to be enlisted until you graduate from law school, keep in mind you'll be paying back a hefty chunk of that bonus.   There are a lot of things to consider, and honestly, if you're just doing it for loan repayment or GI bill or something, I would think two or three times.  Don't take this the wrong way, but any of the services, except the Air Force, are weird places, especially if you are enlisted with a degree.  I came in with a degree from Vanderbilt, and I can't tell you the number of times I chafed at people above me who were idiots.  It was a daily struggle, to be honest.  In sum, I can only recommend that if you do this thing, go Air Force, it is much more intellectual and laid back, and unless you want to be some crazy-ass Ranger, the Army isn't that much fun.
Proving there is redemption in this world...

kmac128

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 12:01:07 PM »
armyjag,

i just got into FLEP, and am waiting to hear back from a few places.  do you know anyone in the program, and if so, where they go to school

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 01:44:50 PM »
I will PM you.

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 03:21:13 PM »
Here are all of my brothers hiding. Go Army Beat Navy

Well I have been in for about 12 years now myself. Both Active and now the weekend BBQ'ers. But most of what was said is pretty dead on. If your gonna go in then go in and apply to schools after you decide to get out, if you get out. You may enjoy it and stay in, its not a bad life. You either love it or hate it. I only got off active cause all my bills were paid, got my combat patch, and wanted my degree and knew I wouldnt with my one way ticket from germany back to 1st Cav. By like what was said before, you more than likely wont get a deferral if you go in after your accepted. So just go in write a badass PS afterwards and thats that. You can also use the time to study again and retake LSAT if you didnt do as well as you want. I know when i was in I had more free time than I knew what to do with, hence the liver failure now.

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 03:54:47 PM »
RIDE THE RIDE!  FIRST TEAM!
I spent 4 years in division and III Corps headquarters... law school can't be half as bad.
hahaha.j

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 07:35:24 PM »
RIDE THE RIDE!  FIRST TEAM!
I spent 4 years in division and III Corps headquarters... law school can't be half as bad.
hahaha.j

Yea I spent my first three years in the 1st kevlar division. back in the good ole days of NTC rotations 3 times a year.