Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Prestigious UVa 1L, break from studying K's, taking ?'s  (Read 1381 times)

fredd727

Prestigious UVa 1L, break from studying K's, taking ?'s
« on: December 17, 2007, 09:15:46 PM »
Ask away ladies.

fredd727

Re: Prestigious UVa 1L, break from studying K's, taking ?'s
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 12:22:51 PM »
I managed to get a couple interviews over break, hopefully they go well.  If not? Apparently a lot of students do research work for professors, so I guess I could always fall back on that. 

devingymnast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 05:12:44 PM »
Hey 1L. On the level of UVA, I'm applying to Georgetown and Duke as well. One thing that bothers me about UVA (I go to W&M for my UG) is the apparent lack of clinical opportunities at UVA compared to Georgetown and Duke. Do you see this as a 1L?

Also, any idea why UVA is so successful in placing SCOTUS clerks where other similarly-ranked schools don't place as many so consistently?

nike6075

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 05:15:23 PM »
Why'd you quit answering questions in the other thread like this to start a new one?
dont worry guys, i had lotsof drinks, and now i feel better. hth.

nike6075

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 05:04:53 PM »
Is there such a thing as a prestigous UVA 1L?

This from the guy who goes to penn... *snicker*

Iron Shin Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 06:40:28 PM »

This from the guy who goes to penn... *snicker*

Not-so-subtle Chicago trolling.  Enjoy prescreening.

nike6075

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 07:56:31 PM »
Pretty typical of Penn students to elbow their way into conversations and insist that they're really f-ing sweet.

In all seriousness, I'm absolutely thrilled about my job prospects coming out of UVA, as you should be about Penn.

Also, all firms have grade cutoffs at all schools (possibly minus HYS) - so 'screening' happens.  At UVA, it just means you don't waste your time interviewing for a job you can't land.  HTH

fredd727

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 09:57:34 PM »
Hey 1L. On the level of UVA, I'm applying to Georgetown and Duke as well. One thing that bothers me about UVA (I go to W&M for my UG) is the apparent lack of clinical opportunities at UVA compared to Georgetown and Duke. Do you see this as a 1L?

Also, any idea why UVA is so successful in placing SCOTUS clerks where other similarly-ranked schools don't place as many so consistently?

There are clinics available.  1L year not so much but that's how it'll be at every school I suspect. 

I couldn't help ya out with why they place better w/ SCOTUS.  Part of it is that it is perhaps a bit more conservative than the average law school, for example the Federalist Society has an active chapter on campus.

fredd727

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 09:58:16 PM »
Why'd you quit answering questions in the other thread like this to start a new one?

Well no one responded to this one so I started another.  Plus I had to actually study so I wasn't paying any attention.  Then the whole driving home after exams thing.

fredd727

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 09:59:03 PM »

Good question.  A better one would be is there such a thing as a prestigious 1L.  FWIW, the title was written in sarcasm.