Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1st LSAT \ Tentative 6 month Study Plan  (Read 3799 times)

Farmer's Daughter

• View Profile
1st LSAT \ Tentative 6 month Study Plan
« on: December 16, 2007, 09:06:44 PM »
G'evening everybody.  I am developing a six month study plan for the June 16th LSAT. My goal is to score 165 or above.  I would appreciate any input you have that may help me.

Today, I took my first practice LSAT.  My preparation for the test consisted of reviewing general advice online for about an hour.

LSAT PrepTest 48, December 2005 (timed)
1) logical reasoning: 15/26  (ran out of time and blind-guessed last 6)
2) logic games: 9/22 (I felt overwhelmed by time limits and had trouble making effective diagrams) 
3) reading comp.:  16/26  (Finished 4-5 minutes early)
4) logical reasoning:  17/27 (Tried going faster than the first LR section)
SCORE = 149

My plan is:
Month 1-4 = ~10hrs week
Month 4-6 = Take off work and prepare full-time.

Month 1-2 
Study Powerscore LR/LG Bibles and LSAT Superpep during the week and take 2 practice tests on the weekends.  What is a good RC guide?   
Month 2-4
Take lots of practice tests and use guides to help review tough areas.
Month 4-6
Enroll in full-time prep course.  Powerscore?

How does this sound as a  rough guide?  And, are there any examples or guides available for the new Comparative Reading segment? 

Thanks in advance for any advice  :)

"Stomping on grapes, coming up with blue feet and beer"

The Stranger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1st LSAT \ Tentative 6 month Study Plan
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 09:47:55 PM »
I am just happy that you are being reasonable and not saying that you plan to score a 180. hehe

It looks like you need to improve on LG, and this is a good sign because you can vastly improve after tons of studying and practice. Also, you did not mention Kaplan in your plan. I took their course and it totally screwed me out of being able to apply during this cycle and 1100 dollars. Their methods were ineffective when it came to getting me out of the 150's. I would stay away from all of their texts as well.

oh noze

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 11:10:15 PM »
I think you'd actually be better off taking a prep course now rather than later. It would give you a solid foundation to build on. I also wouldn't recommend taking an entire 2 months off just to study for the test: you can improve on games and you need to improve on LR timing, both of which you can do with practice, and the improvements will get you sufficiently close to a 165 before months 4-6. Plus if you're seeing some weaknesses in those months, you can compensate for those with tutoring, rather than the holistic approach of a prep course.

hort stu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 11:32:55 PM »
screw prep courses.  Find yourself a great tutor, take a diagnostic and focus on your weaknesses with the tutor.

People that do well after a class are people that would have done well had they praticed on their own and found some help from someone familiar with the techniques. 

I have lots of anti prep course posts if you need more reasons not to take one.  The money is best spent on tutoring. 

Sure parts of the class helped me out but I wasted many hours in a PS class.

Good luck.

dubsy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 09:18:56 AM »
Although I know your goal isn't a 180, it's still important to realize that setting out a study plan is no guarantee for X amount of points in your score.  Yes, it might be helpful to keep in mind a rough timeline of where you would like to be at certain points before June, but the most important propellent of your progress is that you should identify your weaknesses as they become clearer to you, and those should become the focal points of your study even if it means messing with your scheduled study plan.  When I started off studying, I thought taking preptests and going over them thoroughly would be straightforward and predictable in terms of time consumption... not so, and my own proposed "schedule" was definitely thrown off but I ended up coordinating short-term goals based on my progress rather than the quantity of material I was actually covering.

I also agree with jeffort - I'm a little confused as to why you would do a prepcourse at the end of your study track.  I'm guessing it's for scheduling reasons, but I highly recommend that if you take a course, you take it in the beginning.  After several months of study, you will likely form your own study habits and methods, and it may be difficult for you to adapt those to that of the prep course you are taking. 
seeing king midas everywhere.

Imperial Russian Stout!

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Evil Stork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 10:58:21 AM »
Quick tidbits from a recovering study-holic who postponed and needed to re-charge. 

There is such a thing as OVER-studying.  Be careful not to do this.  Balance everything out.  Remind yourself that a world exists outside the Negation technique and Complex Linear games.  Take time off.  Allow yourself the time to "bounce back" and regroup when you don't preform up to your expectations.  Realize that you're smart and not an idiot when the professional masochists figure out enough hurdles to trip you up on.  Realize you can always postpone if you need to and/or retake the exam and/or wait it out for the next cycle.

I had never in my life experienced the type of confidence loss that occurs when you don't follow these maxims.

DerekShiHarvard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 06:13:53 PM »
I agree with Amplified, do not burn yourself out! My next piece of advice would be to understand every question you get wrong versus mindlessly taking many preptests. Also, be sure to practice your tests under actual time constraints, having a friend time you or using the lsat proctor. Those are the crucial elements in my opinion, lots of luck to you and I applaud your efforts of studying so far in advance. You will really be prepared on test day!
Links:
PowerScore Bibles
Law School Numbers
LSAT Proctor DVD

The shadow proves the sunshine - press on fellow applicants!

Imperial Russian Stout!

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Evil Stork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 11:21:45 PM »
Jeffort,

Check your PM's.

Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 01:01:03 AM »
OP-

i think you are in good shape, as long as you are willing to put the work in.  My first blind test that I took I got a 153.  I too prepared for about 6 months and was consistently scoring at about the 170 mark by the time the test came.  The LSAT CAN be learned, don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Best of luck!
Wallace Stevens: "BLAHHHH you and I are like the same person."

Farmer's Daughter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 06:50:20 PM »
I appreciate everyone's advice and encouragement.  You all seem like a nice, helpful group.   

The materials I ordered should be arriving by the end of this week so I'll see how I score after studying for a few weeks.  If I take a prep course, it sounds like it wold be better to do so sooner rather than later.  Then, once I get the basics down, I'll consider hiring a tutor to help me with my weaknesses.

"Stomping on grapes, coming up with blue feet and beer"