Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michigan Students: Tell Me About 1L Housing Options  (Read 750 times)

mentor

• View Profile
Michigan Students: Tell Me About 1L Housing Options
« on: December 16, 2007, 03:11:21 AM »
Especially the Lawyers Club.  The school really seems to talk this sucker up; is it worth living in and eating there with no kitchen facilities or is off-campus housing so wonderfully plentiful and cheap that one shouldn't bother?
San Diego LSAT Tutor
lsatsd@gmail.com

_retired_

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan Students: Tell Me About 1L Housing Options
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 03:59:17 AM »
Rent in Ann Arbor is more expensive than you would expect for a city of its size and location.  I can't say I've ever heard mention of a shortage of it though.  I'll let the 1Ls get more specific; this is what I've gleaned from the undergrads I know at the school.

kirchner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, that is a Promise Keepers t-shirt.
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 08:18:43 AM »
I lived about a mile from central campus (Second & Williams on the west side) when I went to grad school from 2001-2003.  I shared a two-bedroom apartment which cost about $700/month.  I'd bet prices are much higher now.  I'd check annarbor.craigslist.org for some recent dollar figures.

A lot of grad students I knew lived in Ypsilanti or one of the smaller townships in the area.  It's not walkable, but once you get out of the range of the Ann Arbor public school system, the cost of living goes way down.
Guitar Hero 2: 8,354,769
Applications submitted!

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 11:03:08 AM »
I live in a house about 2/3 of a mile west of the law school.  I really like the location; its close to main street so there's lots nearby.  Its also generally a lot quieter and less annoying than living near any of the undergrad stuff.

A lot of people really like the lawyers club.  The rooms aren't bad; they're just pretty standard dorm rooms.  The exterior is beautiful of course. Oh, and its super conveneient.  I'm wanring you though, Ann Arbor can get a little small as it is---you see the same people in school, in the library, at the gym, at the bars, out dancing, shopping, at parties- you get the point.  So, I'm not too sure I could also LIVE with the same people I do all that other stuff with.

Also, I have to say, it's the weirdest feeling to step out of the lawyers club at like 2AM and be AT THE LAW SCHOOL.  If I lived there, I know that I'd think it was taking over my life!

I'd caution against moving too far from the downtown area unless you have family concerns.  All of the action in the state of Michigan takes place between Main Street and State Street in Ann Arbor.  There's a reason that everything is ridiculously cheap outside of AA----IT ALL SUCKS.  ;)
1L

"I feel really bad for you. I mean, you don't know anything."

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 11:18:11 AM »
Most of the Michigan students here don't/never have lived in the LC, so I'm not sure how much first hand info about living there you can get, but my perception is that most of us, and myself included, are satisfied with not living in the lawyer's club. Especially now that it's finals time. With that said, I don't hear any major complaints from LC residents, except for the food.

With regards to the cost, apartments in AA aren't cheap, but neither is the LC - I think an academic year lease is about $9000 (which includes 13 meals a week).

The commute can be as long or short as you want it to be - there is housing right near the law school (but you'll have to live with the undergrads), but AA has a good bus system so living some distance away is certainly viable. I live about a fifteen minute walk away.

I think people are different enough that I can't say you shouldn't bother with the LC, but some considerations:

• 1) food - goes without saying
  • 2) privacy - I like only having to share my bathroom with one other person
  • 3) convenience - If you think law school is going to stress you out to the degree where you don't want to/can't deal with things like commuting, getting your utilities set up at the same time as orientation, shoveling large amounts snow in the winter (or late fall, as it may be in AA), the LC might be for you
  • 4) social atmosphere - does living next to 200 of your fellow law students appeal to you? The good is that it's easier to meet people (although it's certainly not hard to meet people otherwise, and remember that only half the 1L class lives there), the bad is that you're around those people at finals time

One misconception about the LC is that everyone in there is straight out of undergrad (and likewise, everyone straight out of undergrad lives there). I think that there is a large amount of people who are 1 to a couple years out of undergrad (but it does seem to be the case that those who are significantly older generally do not live in the LC).

There's also three frat houses right across the street from the law school - if you enjoy sleeping in on saturdays, even when there is a football game, the LC might not be for you :)
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

mentor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 02:25:37 AM »
Is the LC food the standard SYSCO crap found in every institutional dining hall across America? 

FWIW, compared to where I live, Ann Arbor housing looks dirt cheap.
San Diego LSAT Tutor
lsatsd@gmail.com

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 04:30:55 PM »
I've eat at the LC once, and Pearl eats there sometimes with friends.  I think the food is pretty good, but maybe people get sick of it.  I think it's pretty cool having food ready for you that you don't have to prepare. :)  I've been on my own for several years, so the newness of having my own kitchen has worn off.  I do think the time limits on when you can eat would be annoying.

I do want to mention that they seem to be somewhat receptive to changing the menu for legitimate concerns.  There was a guy this year who really wanted to improve the options in terms of healthiness, and a nutritionist and someone from the LC sat down with him and they made some changes.  I think mainly to always include at least one lean protein option.

So, I live further than any of the other people here (3.5 mi), but I have several classmates who also live further than walking distance.  They don't seem to mind the bus much, though it would bug me.  I make my husband drop me off and pick me up.  He's a very good sport.  I like our place because it's more modern and bigger than a lot that you'd get closer in.  Bouzie's house is in great shape and really well remodeled.  But no AC, and my husband would absolutely not live a place without AC.

Anyway, like others have said, people who live in the LC seem perfectly happy with it.  I think if I were single, I'd have lived there.  It's just so damn convenient. 
Michigan Law Class of 2010

neverborn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 07:11:40 PM »
Can anyone say anything about bringing cars to AA? Cost of monthly parking (if it is typically available - either through Michigan or through apartment/private leasers)?
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=neverborn

Michigan ASW: Apr3-5
NYU ASW: Apr18

Michigan 2011.

the marauder

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gone to the finest school alright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 07:16:20 PM »
I think it would be really fun to live with a bunch of other 1Ls.
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=marauder

The lover who just walked out your door
Has taken all his blankets from the floor.
The carpet, too, is moving under you
And it's all over now, Baby Blue.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 07:34:07 PM »
Don't have an answer for that one.  I think it's pretty inexpensive if you use commuter lots.  And it sounds like one of them is not a bad walk.  But I have no experience.
Michigan Law Class of 2010