Law School Discussion

Tips for 1L Receptions

TruOne

• I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
Tips for 1L Receptions
« on: December 15, 2007, 08:35:51 PM »
So it is the Holiday Season and Law Firms are rolling out the Red Carpet in an attempt to woo the High Scoring and Well-connected 1L's to come work for them this summer.

What is some advise that you Old (some older than others) heads have for the current 1Ls who are preparing for their first reception.

Dress:
Most of the flyers say "Business Casual" and they really do mean that, however I always felt that it was better to at least have a Tie on. Regardless of whether you interview w/ this firm or not this is your "First Impression" for you and them. Dress for success.

Beginning Conversation:
Maybe it is just my area, but most of the things I noticed was that I would typically be one of the few if ANY Black Men at the reception, so naturally I would stand out amongst the crowd and it would be easier for the Attorneys there to start talking to me. 
Try to think of 3 questions that you have so that you'll know what to ask the attorneys once you start talking. Nothing sucks more than asking the same question that the Attorney has already answered for the other 4 1Ls he's spoken to. If you know you are interested in Transaction, look up a few of the clients that the firm represents and have questions ready to ask.

Eating:
Eat the food, that's what they got it for. Just don't try to walk away w/ any "to-go" boxes.

Those are just my thoughts, what everybody else think?

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
Re: Tips for 1L Receptions
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 08:49:41 PM »
What do you mean by "high scoring" if grades are not in yet? Do you mean LSAT scores? If so, how would a firm know that? How did you get most of your invitations?

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 08:59:38 PM »
Many firms will wait until you have grades to extend interviews.

I am Penny Lane

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 09:04:18 PM »

I understand that, I was speaking of the holiday receptions the OP mentioned.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 09:07:57 PM »
Unfortunately, I won't be able to go to any of the Receptions over Winter Break, but I've been to plenty of receptions both as a student and representing my company, so I've seen both sides.

1. Have a game plan. Your goal might be to talk with 2 partners, get 3 business cards, or whatever, but you'll be more focused if you have a plan.

2. Don't be afraid to approach people.  Don't wait for them to come to you.

3. I agree with Tru about having some questions for the attorneys, preferably about themselves or their practice.  People love to talk about themselves.  Hopefully the conversation will flow from there, but don't monopolize them.  Leave them wanting more.  Don't forget to ask for a business card when you're done.

4. Resume.  Definitely bring copies of your resume.  Definitely don't give them to everyone; you're gonna have to use your judgment on when it's appropriate.  Ladies: You should have a nice tote bag that can carry your resumes and personal stuff, a purse and portfolio can get awkward when you're shaking hands, holding drinks, etc.  Gentlemen: a nice portfolio to hold your resume never hurts, especially one that has a notepad too

5. Food.  I disagree with Tru on this one.  Don't head to the food until you've achieved your goals.  You don't want to introduce yourself to a hiring partner with sushi breath or holding a plate of chicken wings.  You can get a drink, but try to hold it in your left hand so that you're not offering people a cold, clammy hand to shake.

Other than that, relax and have fun.  Mingle, meet people, show personality, etc.  I know some of these tips may seem a little anal, but it never hurts.

pikey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 09:09:29 PM »

This is where going to a higher-ranked school helps.  Schools will send you invitations to various receptions if you attend one of their target schools.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 09:11:43 PM »

This is where going to a higher-ranked school helps.  Schools will send you invitations to various receptions if you attend one of their target schools.

oh?  so i should keep my eyes peeled then?  i didn't know they did this stuff during winter break.

pikey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 09:15:29 PM »

oh?  so i should keep my eyes peeled then?  i didn't know they did this stuff during winter break.

Yeah, lots of firms have receptions over winter break.  Hmm, if I got invites then you definitely should have gotten some.  We have a 1L student directory that career services distributes to interested employers, so that's probably how they got our info.  You need to bug your CS about that!

I am Penny Lane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 09:18:07 PM »
So would all students at X school get the invite, or would the firm pick and choose? If they only select certain students, how do you make sure you are one of them?

Bouzie

• yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 09:22:37 PM »
So would all students at X school get the invite, or would the firm pick and choose? If they only select certain students, how do you make sure you are one of them?

I think they just mass mail a school's 1L class....Pikey and I are getting the same reception invites and we have nothign in common except our mutual awesomness