Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How's this for non traditional?  (Read 2582 times)

Prog

• View Profile
How's this for non traditional?
« on: December 15, 2007, 09:49:51 PM »
I'm a 28 year old male from Puerto Rico. I "dropped out" of college in 1998 to go to work full-time, which i have done so since then. I went back to school in 2003 and have slowly worked on my UG degree part-time while working full time. I'll be graduating in may of 08 with a GPA around 3.60-3.65. I took the december 1st LSAT so I've yet to receive my score, but i was averaging between 155-160 on my Princeton Review practice tests, which I think is not too shabby for a non native english speaker.  :-\  I am worried that the fact that I dropped out and went to work full time, then took a long time to finish my UG degree (because of said full-time job) will weigh in too heavily on the negative side when applying to schools.  :'(

I was mildly worried before even looking at some of the threads on this and other law school forums, but now I am damned near pessimistic.

Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated...

Ps : is it me, or does this forum not have a "Search" function?

CandyMonster

• Sr. Citizen
  • Gimme candy!!!
    • View Profile
Re: How's this for non traditional?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 09:51:44 PM »
Don't worry, it won't look bad.

The search function is on the home page. Click "Home" under "Site" on the left of the screen. Once you are there you can't miss it.  ;)
2007-2008 cycle
Accepted (in order): Duke, Harvard, UMich, Yale, Cornell, UVa, UPenn
Pending: Stanford, NYU, Columbia

Prog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 10:37:02 PM »
Thanks, I guess I was looking for the search function within the forum, since im used to other forum setups having it there.

About the LSAC UGPA, why is it that it ends up being way lower? Do they take into consideration every dropped/repeated class and then calculate them into your GPA? If so then i guess i could be in trouble there. When i dropped out, I did so in such a haste that i did not even take time to drop my classes and failed the semester. Of course those classes were all repeated and replaced with mostly A's, but if LSAC is going to count the F's even if my UG school does not, then that really will affect me negatively, at least from what Ive read on the rest of this site...

:'(

I guess I have to get used to the idea of going to law school here locally. The University of PR has their public/state law school which has been ABA approved since the 1940s, so afterwards i would be sitting for the BAR just like any other ABA approved school. Thing is I really wanted to go to a stateside school because I eventually would like to live there.

CandyMonster

• Sr. Citizen
  • Gimme candy!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 10:57:46 PM »
Yes, LSAC counts all grades even if you retook that class and received a better grade. If your Fs are from 1998, why don't you try to have them expunged?
2007-2008 cycle
Accepted (in order): Duke, Harvard, UMich, Yale, Cornell, UVa, UPenn
Pending: Stanford, NYU, Columbia

Prog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 09:25:34 AM »
I guess it would not hurt to try. I'll ask the registrar when I go by tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Prog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 10:03:58 AM »
I just talked to my registrar and apparently there is no way of getting those grades expunged.  :-[ :'( :'(

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 10:06:14 AM »
Wait so do you know what your LSAC GPA will be?

Just study like crazy for the LSAT, don't sell youself short.
Vandy 1L... really?

Prog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 11:10:07 AM »
Wait so do you know what your LSAC GPA will be?

Just study like crazy for the LSAT, don't sell youself short.

I dont know yet, but if they count the failed grades even if they were replaced then im screwed. I left school on the second semester of my freshman year and did not even drop the classes, so i failed those. They were eventually replaced by As but damn...

I studied as much as i could for the LSAT, I was juggling a full time job, school and LSAT prep work... I was scoring in the high 150s in the practice tests, not great but not too bad for a non-native english speaker i think...  ???  i took the Dec. test so I still dont have my actual score back.

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 11:26:31 AM »
Sorry didnt realize you had already taken it. Keep us updated when you get your score!

Are you applying this cycle?
Vandy 1L... really?

Prog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 12:53:33 PM »
Im looking to apply for the fall 08 year...so the only other LSAT i could take is the Feb. administration and it would be cutting it way close to the normal deadlines.

Ill definitely keep on posting during that time, since i'm going to need all I can get in terms of insight and input from everyone during the admissions process.

Thanks for the kind replies.