Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Black Women going into biglaw...  (Read 9337 times)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Black Women going into biglaw...
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2007, 10:19:26 PM »
yeah..there are some gross generalizations on this here thread lol

even a very liberal minded educated man in his late 20s or early 30s would shudder at the idea of a young lady he is dating bringing in close to 200K a year.

Incorrect.

+1
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

UNAS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 11:19:35 PM »
its hard to construct a decent argument if you are bringing in every other exception in to the mix. I am very liberal nontraditionalist type brother and i would not be prepared for a woman my age to make twice my salary. Not saying i would be bothered, but i sure as hell would deem it awkward

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2007, 11:21:05 PM »
its hard to construct a decent argument if you are bringing in every other exception in to the mix. I am very liberal nontraditionalist type brother and i would not be prepared for a woman my age to make twice my salary. Not saying i would be bothered, but i sure as hell would deem it awkward

So because you would "shudder at the idea" ever other man would too?  ::)
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2007, 11:22:32 PM »

why would it be awkward?
YLS c/o 2009

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2007, 11:26:55 PM »

why would it be awkward?

bc it goes against society's "male as breadwinner" construct i'd imagine
Columbia 3L

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007, 11:40:51 PM »

Lol my g/f will be making almost 4x my salary next year...she's buying!

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2007, 11:42:28 PM »

Lol my g/f will be making almost 4x my salary next year...she's buying!

yea but that will only be for a year or 2 tho...its not like the difference in income would last for a substantial amount of time
Columbia 3L

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2007, 11:58:36 PM »
Yeah I know.  I still think I'd be fine though, as long as the "prestige" was high enough to outweigh the income differential.  For instance, if I were a federal judge, I wouldn't feel jealous/awkward because my biglaw-partner wife brought in more bank.

Now if my wife were a biglaw partner and I were just a contract atty, I dunno how I'd feel.  I'd probably just play Happy House Husband though :P

UNAS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2007, 03:44:54 AM »

why would it be awkward?
Exactly. It has been that way since God knows when. So all of sudden us men should seamlessly adapt to a new paradigm? I think not. Alls I am saying though is the transition will not be all that graceful.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2007, 08:23:30 AM »
 :D hilarious... date a teacher then.. or an administrative assistant... or a receptionist.. .or a woman that doesn't work.. because lawd knows we don't want a woman to bring an uproar and cause a paradigm shift because she's making moves and making more money than you are  ::)....

thus bringing out some insecurities in the type of men that can't really handle it... i certainly know that not all men are like that.. but i've seen a guy or two get uncomfortable when i  was the one that planned and paid for an expensive weekend getaway... and i've reached the point in my life where i am not going to nurse anyone's ego because i make more money.. esp when that was blatantly obvious in the beginning of the "courtship"...

why would it be awkward?
Exactly. It has been that way since God knows when. So all of sudden us men should seamlessly adapt to a new paradigm? I think not. Alls I am saying though is the transition will not be all that graceful.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...