Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Black Women going into biglaw...  (Read 9218 times)

UNAS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Black Women going into biglaw...
« on: December 15, 2007, 06:10:25 PM »
do you think the enormous salaries you all will be earning will pose a problem in your romance life?

Most men have problems making less than women, but even a very liberal minded educated man in his late 20s or early 30s would shudder at the idea of a young lady he is dating bringing in close to 200K a year.

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
Re: Black Women going into biglaw...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 06:19:46 PM »
do you think the enormous salaries you all will be earning will pose a problem in your romance life?

Most men have problems making less than women, but even a very liberal minded educated man in his late 20s or early 30s would shudder at the idea of a young lady he is dating bringing in close to 200K a year.

Ohh. . .the bait has been set. This outta be good.

Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 06:29:35 PM »

Ok, fine. I'll take the bait. This post is ill-conceived and very jaded.

Most men have problems making less than women
Really? Cuz last I checked, statistically-speaking, most men make more money than women on average.

but even a very liberal minded educated man in his late 20s or early 30s would shudder at the idea
Ok, this is where I have the most problems. Why does the man have to be "liberal" in order to be ok w/ his sig. other making more money than him. Why  can't a conservative man accept and even be happy with his wife making more money. Hell, if anything, that is more money for the both of them if they were to get married. You are using "Conservative" in a pejorative manner.

a young lady he is dating bringing in close to 200K a year.
What firms are paying that much? I know certain NYC Firms are paying $160 and I heard that DLA Piper is starting associates off at $145, but to even get up to the $130-160's you've gotta fight and claw your way to be one of the 10% of law graduates who are even offered that much.

2nd - Would the *guy* really have a problem with it, or would it be tossed in his face in at least one argument in the sometime future? Imagine if dude is a teacher or Principal making $60 while his sig.other is making $130k, you really think she aint' gonna toss that out there in the middle of an argument?

University of Law '09

UNAS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 06:31:41 PM »
I have no duplicit intentions. I sincerely want a woman's take on the deal.

I was dating an older woman last year who I had to cut off cause she never paid for anything. She made a lil over 200K. Her house and car completly paid for. She never even offered to pick up a tip. I guess the flip side is I only took her out once.

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 06:36:50 PM »

I was dating an older woman last year who I had to cut off cause she never paid for anything. She made a lil over 200K. Her house and car completly paid for. She never even offered to pick up a tip. I guess the flip side is I only took her out once.

Well see in that situation, I don't think her salary has much to do w/ it. I just think that her lack of payment for anything was cuz she was/is a woman w/ a sense of entitlement. She'd probably have acted the same way if she was a waitress at the Waffle House.

University of Law '09

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 06:40:07 PM »

Well see in that situation, I don't think her salary has much to do w/ it. I just think that her lack of payment for anything was cuz she was/is a woman w/ a sense of entitlement. She'd probably have acted the same way if she was a waitress at the Waffle House.

this situation is weird...on the one hand, he said he only took her out once, so i don't know where she "never paid for anything" comes from bc IMO that implies that it was an ongoing thing.

with some people--if you ask to take them out, they expect (rightfully or not) that you will pay.  there have been times where i have taken people out--and there was no question that i would pay.  but that's just me.

i think this thread is silly...but i'll wait and see what other women say b4 i really jump in.
Columbia 3L

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 06:49:26 PM »

this situation is weird...on the one hand, he said he only took her out once, so i don't know where she "never paid for anything" comes from bc IMO that implies that it was an ongoing thing.

with some people--if you ask to take them out, they expect (rightfully or not) that you will pay.  there have been times where i have taken people out--and there was no question that i would pay.  but that's just me.

i think this thread is silly...but i'll wait and see what other women say b4 i really jump in.

titcr.  Plus, traditional etiquette says that the person who asks the other person out should pay, regardless of income.  If you don't want to pay don't ask someone out, especially since you have control over where you're going if you're the asker.  It's different if you've been dating for a while, but there's nothing wrong with following the rule for the first date or first few dates.

See above about etiquette, not entitlement.  She may just have "traditional" values, especially if it was only one date.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 06:54:12 PM »

titcr.  Plus, traditional etiquette says that the person who asks the other person out should pay, regardless of income. If you don't want to pay don't ask someone out, especially since you have control over where you're going if you're the asker.  It's different if you've been dating for a while, but there's nothing wrong with following the rule for the first date or first few dates.

See above about etiquette, not entitlement.  She may just have "traditional" values, especially if it was only one date.

titcr
Columbia 3L

UNAS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 06:55:42 PM »

Ok, fine. I'll take the bait. This post is ill-conceived and very jaded.

Most men have problems making less than women
Really? Cuz last I checked, statistically-speaking, most men make more money than women on average.
If we are talking about Black men and Black women than your statement above serves little purpose. Everyone knows there are currently more professional Black women than there are men. That is no secret. As a matter of face, Black women are proportiantely the most employed women in the US
but even a very liberal minded educated man in his late 20s or early 30s would shudder at the idea
Ok, this is where I have the most problems. Why does the man have to be "liberal" in order to be ok w/ his sig. other making more money than him. Why  can't a conservative man accept and even be happy with his wife making more money. Hell, if anything, that is more money for the both of them if they were to get married. You are using "Conservative" in a pejorative manner.
I was talking about conservative in terms of political views. The context I used it in clearly implies Traditional and I am sorry brother but most traditional men Black White or otherwise have problems with a woman making more money.
a young lady he is dating bringing in close to 200K a year.
What firms are paying that much? I know certain NYC Firms are paying $160 and I heard that DLA Piper is starting associates off at $145, but to even get up to the $130-160's you've gotta fight and claw your way to be one of the 10% of law graduates who are even offered that much.
I don't want to quibble over starting salaries. The fact is as an MBA with work experience I can assure you lawyers who work at big law firms make more money than me. I am sure you would submit to that
2nd - Would the *guy* really have a problem with it, or would it be tossed in his face in at least one argument in the sometime future? Imagine if dude is a teacher or Principal making $60 while his sig.other is making $130k, you really think she aint' gonna toss that out there in the middle of an argument?

I dated an older woman with money and I think that would be alot different than dating a check in your age range with money. I just think it could get real ignorant realy quick

UNAS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 07:00:40 PM »

We were dating, however, we rarely went out. Mostly blockbuster nights. She was very modest, but the flip side is her ass was cheap. I got her an Xmas gift and that mofo didn't get me jack. Granted her gift wasn't more than 25 buck, but so what. She could have bought me a pack of popcorn. I would have appreciated the thought