Law School Discussion

Length

AJ

Length
« on: December 15, 2007, 10:11:11 AM »
When a school says that the PS maximum length is 3 pages, is that completely firm?

What if your PS is 3.5 pages?

I've pared it down about as much as I can without losing some of the punch of my PS.

siski

• View Profile
Re: Length
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 10:21:56 AM »
How important is that last half page?

Two worst-case scenarios:
1) Addcoms stop reading at end of page three. Your awesome conclusion never gets read.
2) Addcoms get annoyed at applicant who doesn't follow directions. You get dinged from the
'maybe' pile.

I would advise that you keep editing. Show that you can get your point across succinctly. If they say '3 page limit,' they probably mean it.

AJ

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 11:38:51 AM »
^ty

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 12:20:59 PM »
if you haven't already, you could make the font smaller.  I used size 11, since mine was originally just over the page limit.  Also, my computer auto-sets the margins for 1.25 inches, instead of 1 inch, so check that too.

Martin Prince, Jr.

• Excelsior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 06:32:30 AM »
if you haven't already, you could make the font smaller.  I used size 11, since mine was originally just over the page limit.  Also, my computer auto-sets the margins for 1.25 inches, instead of 1 inch, so check that too.

Word. I also fiddled around with the fonts. Times New Roman is a bit bigger than some of the other fonts. I've got around 820 words on two pages, so it is possible.

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 11:36:26 AM »
Actually I was just reading Montauk's book and he quotes several adcom personnel saying that they hate it when people choose a smaller font or change the margins. Also, since theyre looking for succinct writing, 3.5 pages isn't going to impress them very much.

While we're talking about length, are we supposed to double or single space our pages?

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 09:27:24 PM »
Actually I was just reading Montauk's book and he quotes several adcom personnel saying that they hate it when people choose a smaller font or change the margins. Also, since theyre looking for succinct writing, 3.5 pages isn't going to impress them very much.

While we're talking about length, are we supposed to double or single space our pages?

1 inch is the standard margin, so checking to make sure you actually have one inch margins wouldn't be doing anything crazy that committees will "hate." 

I think they mean double spaced.

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 10:05:12 PM »
Yes, double spaced unless stated other wise.

OP: Be aware that many schools have 2-page, and even 500-word limits. If none of your schools have limits, or you have multiple PSs you should be fine. But they are right about being to the point.

J_

• YOU! Yeah!!!! That guy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 10:08:04 PM »
UCLA = 2 pages, 12 pt font.  That's not a lot of room.

J_

• YOU! Yeah!!!! That guy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 11:22:47 PM »
Yeah thats tough.  I wonder how many people are forced to play with the margins in order to make that fit.