Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UPenn Class of 2011  (Read 57373 times)

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UPenn Class of 2011
« Reply #450 on: August 22, 2008, 10:21:16 PM »
Burbank - none of you will really get this right now, but remember this once you are about halfway through his course: he wrote 28 USC 1367, the supplemental jurisdiction federal procedure rule.  unbelievably, insanely smart (although 1367 doesn't necessarily reflect it; see: Amy Wax's opinion on supplemental jurisdiction).  Everyone knows civ pro is the hardest class you'll take first semester, but Burbank is a great teacher.  Be very, very prepared for that class though.

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: August 23, 2008, 12:53:43 PM »
Robinson elicits VERY strong feelings of either love or hate - but if he's the worst you have, then you've done extremely well for yourself professor-wise :)

I beg to differ -- I don't know anybody that loved him (unless m1 did and kept that close to the chest ;)), but I know plenty of people who were just plain bored to tears by him.  Especially because you can't have your computer in class.  On any given day, I'd say a third to a half of the class wouldn't bother to show up.
UPenn '10

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: August 23, 2008, 01:12:03 PM »
A former resident of our building used to really like him.  I actually like his theory, so you can put me in the pro-Robinson club as well.

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 25, 2008, 08:28:06 AM »
Is it common for profs to ban laptops in class here?

It's not unusual, and I think more and more are doing it each year.  This seems to be a nationwide trend, not just at Penn.  Last semester I had one prof that banned them outright and another who highly discouraged them.  Honestly, I found I got much more out of class when I took notes on paper -- this semester I probably won't bring my laptop to any of my classes.
UPenn '10

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: August 25, 2008, 01:06:14 PM »
yes, but you don't get nearly the same amount of gossip via gchat that way :P

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: August 26, 2008, 10:40:54 PM »
Is everyone enjoying orientation so far?  I met a lot of the 1Ls (probably some of you guys as well) at the bowling night and at my morris fellow dinner, and you guys seem to be a pretty good class

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: August 29, 2008, 12:20:10 AM »
i'll be leading the group, meeting at the law school tomorrow night, downtown to dave and busters, and i'll be there all night with you guys.  i'm looking forward to it as a nice break from all these interviews!

Steve Jones

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dir of Admissions, Florida Coastal School of Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: August 30, 2008, 05:04:55 PM »
Great win over Coastal Carolina today...66-10...wow.  JoePa!
We have many people from your state that attend our school!

Eggshell Shin Vosburg

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 02, 2008, 12:57:22 AM »
Robinson elicits VERY strong feelings of either love or hate - but if he's the worst you have, then you've done extremely well for yourself professor-wise :)

I beg to differ -- I don't know anybody that loved him (unless m1 did and kept that close to the chest ;)), but I know plenty of people who were just plain bored to tears by him.  Especially because you can't have your computer in class.  On any given day, I'd say a third to a half of the class wouldn't bother to show up.

I loved the guy. He's super nice. Who doesn't like the awkward poses?

i'll be leading the group, meeting at the law school tomorrow night, downtown to dave and busters, and i'll be there all night with you guys.  i'm looking forward to it as a nice break from all these interviews!

This could use more comma splices.

Iron Shin Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 02, 2008, 06:22:38 PM »

I loved the guy. He's super nice. Who doesn't like the awkward poses?

This could use more comma splices.

Gentlemen at my preparatory academy frequently attempted to pass off a series of uncapitalized words separated by commas (without the required connectors, no less) as a "sentence."  It was not a particularly noteworthy occurrence.