Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UPenn Class of 2011  (Read 56336 times)

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UPenn Class of 2011
« Reply #430 on: August 09, 2008, 09:51:08 AM »
2L and 3L class schedules were released yesterday on Penn In Touch and the Course Portal.

I think last year the easiest and earliest way to find out 1L schedules was to determine your section number from Penn In Touch (maybe under the transcript or student schedule tab) or the Course Portal and then match up your section number with the fall block schedule on the Registrar's site.

I remember buying my books before our schedules even officially came out by doing it this way.  If I remember correctly, someone even put together a spreadsheet by section of what books you would need, including their ISBN numbers for buying them on amazon etc.  Very handy, that was.

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 09, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
2L and 3L class schedules were released yesterday on Penn In Touch and the Course Portal.

I think last year the easiest and earliest way to find out 1L schedules was to determine your section number from Penn In Touch (maybe under the transcript or student schedule tab) or the Course Portal and then match up your section number with the fall block schedule on the Registrar's site.

I remember buying my books before our schedules even officially came out by doing it this way.  If I remember correctly, someone even put together a spreadsheet by section of what books you would need, including their ISBN numbers for buying them on amazon etc.  Very handy, that was.

Interesting.  I can't find anything that would indicate a section number... anyone else?

Does anything show up when you click on Transcript?
UPenn '10

Ding me I dare ya!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yatta!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 09, 2008, 04:34:14 PM »

Interesting.  I can't find anything that would indicate a section number... anyone else?

Nope. i could'nt find anything either.

Ding me I dare ya!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yatta!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 10, 2008, 03:56:48 PM »
random questions for those living in philly right now i suppose...

How late is it too late to be taking the subway back to UC by yourself at night?

any recommended cab companies?

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 10, 2008, 04:33:46 PM »
Odd- it told us our section number at the bottom of our transcript around this time last year.  oh well, you'll find out in only 2 short weeks at orientation :) 

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: August 11, 2008, 12:11:29 AM »

How late is it too late to be taking the subway back to UC by yourself at night?

The latest I've ever taken the subway by myself is probably 10 on a weeknight.  Weekends I'm usually in groups and/or in cabs.  Just hail the first cab you see; the company doesn't matter -- but do NOT get in a cab if someone is riding shotgun!
UPenn '10

Ding me I dare ya!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yatta!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 11, 2008, 11:25:20 PM »

The latest I've ever taken the subway by myself is probably 10 on a weeknight.  Weekends I'm usually in groups and/or in cabs.  Just hail the first cab you see; the company doesn't matter -- but do NOT get in a cab if someone is riding shotgun!

someone told me about these all-girls gangs robbing ppl on the subway so that freaked me out a little hehe
I heard about ppl getting mugged when there was someone riding shotgun in a black cab too.. crazziness!

Odd- it told us our section number at the bottom of our transcript around this time last year.  oh well, you'll find out in only 2 short 2 excruciatingly long weeks at orientation :) 

fixt.

So excited!  I do hope we can sneakily get our sections before then, though... I'm running out of things to obsess about, so books etc would be nice! haha

hehe i'll second that!

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 12, 2008, 07:23:09 PM »
but other than that, philly is totally safe, lol

Ding me I dare ya!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yatta!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 20, 2008, 10:44:07 PM »
so now that we know what sections we're in ;D... we can worry about getting books... all $800 worth of books... :-\

current Penn students help us out!
is it really necessary to buy $100 casebooks or can you get by simply going to the library and reading/copying cases?
is it useful to wait till the booksale during orientation?
what classes is it absolutely necessary to get the latest editions?
any recommended Supplements for each course?

THANKS!!

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 21, 2008, 07:45:25 AM »
1)  You aren't going to be happy with my answer, but buy everything new (or if you are lucky enough to find one, a used copy that doesn't have any highlighting in it).  You cannot, cannot, cannot get by with going to the library and copying cases.  Not only would you end up paying to copy 90% of the book, but it would also waste the precious free time you have 1L year.  Every night you will have 20-40 pages of reading per class, which works out to about 3-6 cases per night that you need to master for the next day's class.  Until you know what you are doing (read: November), you will probably want to color-code highlight the important details of each case for when you get called on.  Most people, myself included, will use the system from Law School Confidential, which involves highlighting the holding in pink, the important parts of the dissent in orange, the facts in green, cited precedent/cases in blue, and the legal reasoning in yellow.  I found it worked very well for me and helped prevent me from freaking out when cold-called.

2)  The book sale is basically only for supplements (every once in awhile you'll get a text, but rarely in good condition).  I would go to the bookstore ASAP and buy your books.  The undergrads start to come back to campus on Sunday, and when they come back the bookstore becomes an absolute zoo.  Beat the rush if you can.

3)  You need the latest edition in every class.  Occasionally you can find an older edition that will work just as well with the exception of a few new cases, but you don't want to find out that half of the cases have moved around and spend extra time trying to key your book to the syllabus.

4)  I swear by the Examples and Explanations series for all my classes.  I don't learn very well from the Emmanuel/Gilbert type of supplement, but everyone is different.  A universal truth, however, is that Glannon's Examples and Explanations book for Civ Pro is the best survival tool for that class, period.  It is a must-buy.