Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UPenn Class of 2011  (Read 57023 times)

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UPenn Class of 2011
« Reply #420 on: July 28, 2008, 09:49:32 PM »
Thanks for the info!  That sounds awesome.  I already have about 8,000,000 things that I would ask Penn 2Ls if I could, so I imagine we'll all appreciate having the support through the year.  I love Penn already.

ask away :)

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 29, 2008, 08:39:30 PM »
1L jobs - almost everyone i know got a job this summer, but because of the economy, only a few of them have firm jobs.  If you really want a firm job you can get one, but it may be in a small market.  Having a science degree could help, because of the IP/patent uses, but it comes in handy (and makes you more in demand) more during 2L OCI.

I'm working for a federal district judge this summer.  I sent out approx. 100 resumes and cover letters to my hometown market and to the city I went to school in, and got 3 interviews.  However, I got 2 offers out of 3 interviews, and the third one I didn't wait to hear back from before accepting my current job.

Don't worry about jobs though, worry about getting good grades first semester.  I sent out my cover letters on the first day we were allowed to do so.  If you can spare the time, I'd recommend doing that.  I think it genuinely helps to be one of the first letters cross the desk in some of these judge's chambers.

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 29, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »
Re: student groups - there is a student group fair during orientation, and then a student group signup day sometime early in the first few weeks of school.  I know a lot of people who got somewhat seriously involved in student groups early on.  I held off and didn't get heavily involved in much of anything to focus on my studies.  I was a part of the Penn law Ultimate Frisbee team and I volunteered for the Admissions Office helping take students around to classes and such, but I did not partake in a serious EC time commitment.  Having the extra time helped me be prepared for class and, in part, helped me be successful in my 1L year.  TONS of people balance ECs + school and do just fine though- its based on your own ability to juggle such things

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 30, 2008, 06:30:58 PM »
not a problem :)  glad to be of help!

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 30, 2008, 10:20:17 PM »
jmfigure - Did you submit a copy of your lease with your housing increase request?  I've never heard of anyone having a housing increase denied before, so something may be amiss.

m1 - Does your daily billiards habit count as an EC?  ;)
UPenn '10

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 30, 2008, 11:12:58 PM »

It finally made it on my resume as an interest of mine :P

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 31, 2008, 08:45:50 AM »

It finally made it on my resume as an interest of mine :P

Ha!  Really?  Because I was going to suggest that.  :D
UPenn '10

Ding me I dare ya!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yatta!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 05, 2008, 11:28:11 PM »
ooo i just looked... i have the same message on mine!

I'm excited! ;D

dpwc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 07, 2008, 04:54:06 PM »
Anyone have their schedule yet?

mulligan14

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 08, 2008, 10:25:25 AM »
2L and 3L class schedules were released yesterday on Penn In Touch and the Course Portal.

I think last year the easiest and earliest way to find out 1L schedules was to determine your section number from Penn In Touch (maybe under the transcript or student schedule tab) or the Course Portal and then match up your section number with the fall block schedule on the Registrar's site.