Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UPenn Class of 2011  (Read 57027 times)

ac34

• View Profile
Re: UPenn Class of 2011
« Reply #410 on: June 26, 2008, 02:42:29 PM »
Maybe I will end up loving Philly, but right now my ambivalence is about the fact that every picture of the city I see that's not either Penn-related or major-historical-sight related seems kind of run down and depressed (in an economical sense, but also I think that can lead to a certain depressing kind of aura). I asked my friend living there to go around town and take a bunch of pictures of various places: the grass in the parks seems to be brown rather than lush, the buildings seem to be needing a lot of touch-ups, and the streets seem kind of empty.

I'm used to living in a very crowded and intense city and Philly (again, just from pictures) seems to feel a bit empty, almost lonely. But everybody who's actually spent time there says that it's not that bad or even that it's great, as lovebutton did. So I'm looking forward to being wrong!

I'm not going to Penn (well, I'm still on the waitlist), but I lurk a bit here anyway out of nostalgia...

I was an undergrad at Penn. Philadelphia really is a fantastic, vibrant city. There are some depressed areas, but anywhere that you'll have reason to go to is great. I don't know where you saw pictures of, but everywhere from University City east to the Delaware River is just as crowded and "city-like" as any other major city. And it's only getting better, with the new development in Center City. Plus, Penn itself will be undergoing massive expansions over the next decade or two (they just purchased land totaling I think 50% of the current campus size), some of the early stages of which you might benefit from. And a proposed footbridge over the Schuylkill River (which I think is supposed to happen within the next couple of years) connecting the campus directly to Center City will definitely help.

Basically, if you're coming from New York, you might find Philadelphia a bit less "intense." But from anywhere else, it's the same or better. I'd say at worst, comparable to Boston or Washington.

P.S. The title of this thread annoys me every time I see it. It's "Penn," not "UPenn!" You only say "UPenn" when speaking to someone who you predict won't be able to tell it apart from Penn State! ;)
Michigan 2011

Ding me I dare ya!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yatta!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 02, 2008, 05:02:51 PM »
Has anyone here tired to waive their Penn health insurance? I tried using the steps on the yellow sheet that came with the PennPay Manget mailing and its not working.

peach

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 06, 2008, 11:47:08 PM »
Someone in admissions told me we won't be able to waive the insurance until the 14th or 15th of this month.

Ding me I dare ya!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yatta!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 20, 2008, 05:26:22 PM »
Someone in admissions told me we won't be able to waive the insurance until the 14th or 15th of this month.

thanks. i tried it now. it works.

so when do we find out what classes we'll be taking? hehe im kinda excited ;D.  plus i dont want to pay a fortune on book because i have to buy them a day before class.

Ding me I dare ya!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yatta!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 28, 2008, 06:02:25 PM »
on our pre-orientation list of events there a "Service Event" Wednesday morning... anyone know what that entails?

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 28, 2008, 07:44:50 PM »
Last year, the service day was 4 hours spent cleaning up Fairmount park.  It was an absolute blast, and if I didn't have interviews that day I would absolutely have signed up to lead it this year.  Also, for those of you who reaaaaally want to know what your schedule is, I seem to remember being able to check it on Penn in Touch- possibly on my transcript, or something.  Someone in the UPenn Class of 2010 thread described how we could figure it out, if I remember correctly.

What events are you guys signing up for?  I'll be helping out with the bowling night, the night at Dave & Busters, the Morris fellows events (quizzo, the dinner, field day, etc), and I'm on the Student Life Panel.  Looking forward to meeting all of you guys!  Let me know if you have any questions as we get closer

rolls

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #416 on: July 28, 2008, 08:11:04 PM »
Here's to wishing we could fast forward! I was getting excited yesterday looking at the events. Hm, dodgeball in the courtyard?
Penn Law Class of 2011

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 28, 2008, 08:40:06 PM »
Thanks for the tip re finding section early!  I creeped the 2010 FB group, and it seems that it was in the Penn Portal.  After they logged in, the section/courses showed up in the bottom left hand corner (where it says "My Courses").  Mine doesn't have anything yet, but it looks like that was in August last year.

I'm excited about pre-orientation and orientation.  I don't see a description anywhere of what the service event will be this year, but I'll be there.  Anyone else wishing we could fast forward a few weeks here?!

Question: Who are Morris Fellows? ie. is this part of a 1L program, or an orientation thing?

Morris Fellows are 2Ls who are going to be your guides through 1L year.  The program is being revamped this year so that we serve more as mentors for the whole year, rather than as just your mentors during orientation (which is how the program has traditionally worked out).  Each Morris Fellow (or group of fellows - i think its 2 per group of students) will be having dinner with our group the first night of the informal orientation stuff, then doing quizzo with you on Thursday night, then competing with you in a field day on sunday.  We'll also be having informal coffees/get togethers during the semester to check in and see how everyone is doing, and we'll be your first source for outlines and advice.  Its going to be a great program - just hope you are one of my Morris Fellows, because clearly we're going to win the field day competition :P

The Dude

• Sr. Citizen
  • That's like, your opinion, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 28, 2008, 09:07:16 PM »
Quizzo is ridiculously entertaining! Where do you guys play it -- Blarney Stone, New Deck Tavern?
Law school is fun.

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 28, 2008, 09:48:53 PM »
quizzo is all over the city, but the closest is at new deck on...wednesdays?  thursdays?  i forget.  but there are always a few law school teams there.  a student group (the ACS i believe) puts on a really popular one twice a year at the school.