Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UPenn Class of 2011  (Read 57187 times)

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UPenn Class of 2011
« Reply #360 on: March 29, 2008, 03:30:44 PM »
Hope everyone enjoyed ASW- it was great to meet all of you at the various social events and at the dinner (even if we didn't realize it) . Let us know if you have any questions or concerns, and we'll all be more than happy to answer them for you!

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 29, 2008, 08:27:37 PM »
The ASW was great!  Definitely confirmed the decision to come to UPenn next year (not that I was reconsidering).  Thanks to all the current students that answered questions... even the ones that weren't technically involved in events.  I do have a quick apartment question for current students... does anyone know about the apartment building at 19th and JFK?  I found a studio there that seems to be a pretty good deal and just wanted to get confirmation before I planned a trip to check it out. Its 400sq feet with a balcony and includes all utilities (except internet) for $800/month.  Also, I've seen in several places that Penn will subsidize public transportation fees... what exactly does that mean?  How much of a discount would that be?  Thank you!!!! 

Here's a link to the transit info:

http://www.business-services.upenn.edu/transportation/partnership/

If the building you're talking about is the Sterling Apartments building, some friends of mine checked it out this week and it seems pretty sketchy.  There are a lot of bad reviews of it on apartmentratings.com, too:

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/PA-Philadelphia-Sterling-Apartment-Homes-AIMCO.html
UPenn '10

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 30, 2008, 10:22:12 AM »
400sq ft?  are you planning on using a crowbar to get yourself into your apt? :P  I'd say thats a bit pricey for such a small space- but then again it is in center city.  I know someone who lives out in west philly for $600 a month (including utilities) and has 700sq ft of a house to herself.

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 30, 2008, 01:09:23 PM »
The ASW really was amazing!!!  I was so glad to meet some of you (finally!), and to see others of you again.  Definitely bought an obscene amount of PennLaw swag, and actually being on the business end of Prof. Morse's socratic questioning was a bit frightening (last time I raise my hand to answer what I assume will be ONE question!!).

Looking forward to seeing everyone in the fall!

gillesthegreat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #364 on: March 31, 2008, 02:43:54 PM »
  Definitely bought an obscene amount of PennLaw swag

Congratulations on your decision to attend this fine institution. But for the record, SWAG stands for Stuff We All Get. If you buy it, it ain't SWAG.
Penn (2007)

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 31, 2008, 02:53:31 PM »
  Definitely bought an obscene amount of PennLaw swag

Congratulations on your decision to attend this fine institution. But for the record, SWAG stands for Stuff We All Get. If you buy it, it ain't SWAG.

Well, poo!  I've been misusing this for a while then.  Definitely been using it to mean stuff procured, as in pirate booty (no, I didn't get any pirate booty!).

Then:  I bought an obscene amount of PennLaw gear!

reggaejessie

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 01, 2008, 05:35:55 PM »
Hello, everyone!  I'm new to LSD, and I have a couple of questions about U Penn.  I couldn't make it to the ASW (sorry to have missed out on meeting everybody), but I'm going for a visit in a couple of weeks, just to make sure Penn is a good fit for me.  I'll have a few days in Philadelphia; what should I do besides visit campus?  Did anyone find it useful to look for housing so far in advance?  Also, I would really appreciate any suggestions on hotels.  Thanks in advance!

Terrible Ivan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 01, 2008, 07:53:22 PM »
For the extra-cost conscious who likes communal traveling, try the hostel in Fairmont Park (www.philahostel.org). It is not convenient unless you have a car, but you can't beat the price (I think it was $20 a night or something obscenely cheap).

Eggshell Shin Vosburg

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 03, 2008, 01:17:47 AM »
Hello, everyone!  I'm new to LSD, and I have a couple of questions about U Penn.  I couldn't make it to the ASW (sorry to have missed out on meeting everybody), but I'm going for a visit in a couple of weeks, just to make sure Penn is a good fit for me.  I'll have a few days in Philadelphia; what should I do besides visit campus?  Did anyone find it useful to look for housing so far in advance?  Also, I would really appreciate any suggestions on hotels.  Thanks in advance!

Your first question: It depends. If you like art, go to Barnes Museum (or the Philly art museum). I've heard the zoo here is good also. Rittenhouse square is cool. Team Pam may know this one, but I don't: I think there's a farmer's market that's pretty cool to walk around. If you like sports, go to a Phillies game. If you want to be scared for your life, head about 20 blocks west of campus.

There's a ton to do here.

If you gave a better idea of your interests, we could tell you what to look for.

The ASW really was amazing!!!  I was so glad to meet some of you (finally!), and to see others of you again.  Definitely bought an obscene amount of PennLaw swag, and actually being on the business end of Prof. Morse's socratic questioning was a bit frightening (last time I raise my hand to answer what I assume will be ONE question!!).

Thanks for learning this lesson. Other prospective gunners should pay attention to your post.

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 03, 2008, 10:36:58 AM »

Thanks for learning this lesson. Other prospective gunners should pay attention to your post.

See, it wasn't even prospective-gunner behavior.  He asked someone, who then didn't know, and then he was all like "ANYONE know?", and - being used to the hand raising NOT implying gunner mentality in my current grad program, I did and answered with a two word answer.  That was it.  I was on the hot seat for the remaining forty minutes or so.  And I was terrified.