Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UPenn Class of 2011  (Read 57611 times)

JMFM2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UPenn Class of 2011
« Reply #270 on: March 01, 2008, 09:55:46 AM »
[quote author="Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application" link=topic=98539.msg2628782#msg2628782 date=1204350057

If you want a highrise, you need to put yourself on the waiting lists now.  Otherwise, most places won't even have listings until three months in advance, and often there's even less lead time than that.  I think I found my place (via Craigslist) in June.
[/quote]

This is stressful.  My biggest fear is finding a place I think will work, moving in, starting classes and then realizing that I am going to miserable for the rest of the year but too busy to move.  (That's what happened to me this year...)  I just want a spacious, pet-friendly, inexpensive, safe place with easy access to the school yet nowhere near undergraduate hot spots that won't cost me a trillion dollars a month.  Is that so much to ask?!   ;)

JMFM2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 01, 2008, 10:03:52 AM »
And BTW... There is Penn money showing up on LSN within the past few days.  Anyone in here among the lucky?  I guess it's time for me to start stalking my mailbox again.

Team Pam

• Sr. Citizen
  • "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 01, 2008, 10:54:51 AM »
I just want a spacious, pet-friendly, inexpensive, safe place with easy access to the school yet nowhere near undergraduate hot spots that won't cost me a trillion dollars a month.  Is that so much to ask?!   ;)

Haha, when you find this magical place, let me know!  :D
UPenn '10

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 01, 2008, 12:00:53 PM »
[quote author="Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application" link=topic=98539.msg2628782#msg2628782 date=1204350057

If you want a highrise, you need to put yourself on the waiting lists now. Otherwise, most places won't even have listings until three months in advance, and often there's even less lead time than that. I think I found my place (via Craigslist) in June.

This is stressful.  My biggest fear is finding a place I think will work, moving in, starting classes and then realizing that I am going to miserable for the rest of the year but too busy to move.  (That's what happened to me this year...)  I just want a spacious, pet-friendly, inexpensive, safe place with easy access to the school yet nowhere near undergraduate hot spots that won't cost me a trillion dollars a month.  Is that so much to ask?!   ;)
[/quote]

Just come down and check out neighborhoods--the rest you can do remotely.  You're not going to want to move once you signed a lease regardless.

As far as money goes, it just depends what you plan to do after law school.  Most people--including me--will work at firms in order to pay down their loans.  If you're willing to do this, it's worth it to pay more for an apartment now if it will make you substantially happier. 

I am officially a law school graduate : )

JMFM2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 01, 2008, 12:39:43 PM »

If you want a highrise, you need to put yourself on the waiting lists now. Otherwise, most places won't even have listings until three months in advance, and often there's even less lead time than that. I think I found my place (via Craigslist) in June.

Just come down and check out neighborhoods--the rest you can do remotely.  You're not going to want to move once you signed a lease regardless.

As far as money goes, it just depends what you plan to do after law school.  Most people--including me--will work at firms in order to pay down their loans.  If you're willing to do this, it's worth it to pay more for an apartment now if it will make you substantially happier. 

[/quote]

I'm just concerned about the small living expenses you can build in to the max. loan amt.  I am no stranger to debt and I'm not afraid of a little (or a lot) more, but how do you recommend getting by on what they allow you to borrow?  Are you paying your utilities on credit or something?  I just don't see how I could make it work with what they say you can have.  So for me, it's not about being particularly frugal-- it's more about not knowing how to get by otherwise.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 01, 2008, 02:08:10 PM »

I'm just concerned about the small living expenses you can build in to the max. loan amt.  I am no stranger to debt and I'm not afraid of a little (or a lot) more, but how do you recommend getting by on what they allow you to borrow?  Are you paying your utilities on credit or something?  I just don't see how I could make it work with what they say you can have.  So for me, it's not about being particularly frugal-- it's more about not knowing how to get by otherwise.
[/quote]

You can apply to increase your loan cap; you don't really need a specific reason beyond "my rent is high."

JMFM2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 02, 2008, 11:03:45 AM »

You can apply to increase your loan cap; you don't really need a specific reason beyond "my rent is high."
[/quote]

Interesting.  So, in your expert opinion  :), what kind of monthly rent do you think a 1L could swing, without outside help from parents/jobs/etc?  Actually, if anybody has input on this, I would love to hear it.

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 02, 2008, 02:13:16 PM »
Hey everyone! I just got in a couple of days ago  :) I'll be at ASW this month so I hope to meet lots of people there!

I have so many questions about housing, grading, and atmosphere so please bare with me.

1. Are there any other lofts to look out for? Is it better to go for the high rises or search for buildings that are renovated/nice. I'm really concerned with quality of life so any advice there would be great.
2. Are students ranked? Is ranking released? And is rank/gpa released to firms? I know at Michigan that stuff is kept secret and firms don't see that information until after you have secured a job. Is that true of Penn?
3. Is Penn really collegial? I went to a ugrad that people said would be full of competitive, rich, snobby kids but I found that this was only a small minority of kids. Nonetheless, I have a fear of douchey children. Any commentary on atmosphere and collegiality would be great!

First, congrats!  Glad to hear you are coming to the ASW.  Students aren't ranked- the only sort of ranking you will ever find out is the order of the coif (top 10 or 20%, i forget) at graduation.  Other than that, students are forbidden from even trying to figure out their GPA or class rank.  We aren't allowed to put our GPA or estimated class rank (which we haven't calculated, remember? :P) on our resumes.  However, firms will ask for transcripts, and Penn will release those- they just won't ever release a calculated GPA or a rank.

Collegiality is our buzzword, but its legit.  I obviously cannot speak to other schools, but Penn is very laid back.  The 1Ls have our big appellate brief due on Wednesday, and people are still taking the time to help each other out in the library and answer questions, even under an extreme time crunch such as this one.  Penn's atmosphere and student body sold me on the school last year when I came to the ASW, and I hope you have the same experience!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 02, 2008, 04:45:02 PM »
Hey everyone! I just got in a couple of days ago  :) I'll be at ASW this month so I hope to meet lots of people there!

I have so many questions about housing, grading, and atmosphere so please bare with me.

1. Are there any other lofts to look out for? Is it better to go for the high rises or search for buildings that are renovated/nice. I'm really concerned with quality of life so any advice there would be great.
2. Are students ranked? Is ranking released? And is rank/gpa released to firms? I know at Michigan that stuff is kept secret and firms don't see that information until after you have secured a job. Is that true of Penn?
3. Is Penn really collegial? I went to a ugrad that people said would be full of competitive, rich, snobby kids but I found that this was only a small minority of kids. Nonetheless, I have a fear of douchey children. Any commentary on atmosphere and collegiality would be great!

Thanks guys!

In response to the question of how much you should pay in rent, I think about $1k is affordable enough to be within the Penn loan cap but high enough that you can live alone in a decent place (or share a super nice place).

1.  People have had problems with Riverwest, but lots of students live there because it tends to be pretty affordable (and it takes dogs).  I really think the prices Domus is asking for are insane for west Philly.  I prefer living in the townhouse/small apt area because it feels more like a neighborhood, but to each his own. 
2.  As M1 said, no rankings here.  You will eventually learn if you're in the top 25% (cum laude cutoff), 10% (coif), 5% (magna), or 1% (summa).  Firms are not allowed to prescreen, so everyone gets a shot to interview regardless of grades.
3.  Yes.   :)

Ding me I dare ya!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yatta!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 03, 2008, 12:48:36 PM »
so I'm seriously considering the Rittenhouse Dist in CC... (around 19th and Chestnut) any particular gut opinions?

also how often do you have to stay late on Campus? (late to the point where it is creepy taking the subway back)

do ppl use the Penn transit shuttles? convenience?

Grazie.