Law School Discussion

UPenn Class of 2011

MahlerGrooves

• See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
Re: UPenn Class of 2011
« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2008, 07:06:17 PM »
I'll be living off campus in the apartment I currently live in.  I'll be married by then, so on campus would not be a good idea.  Plus, I love Center City.

« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2008, 09:59:03 PM »
Does any one (current students included) have any insight into University City?  It seems much cheaper than Center City.  How is the quality there, as opposed to Center City?  Is the area not as nice, or just not as close to shopping/bars/restaurants/night life? 

I'm actually looking for a cheaper, quieter place to settle down.  What is the major difference between University City and Center City?

« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2008, 10:02:19 PM »
I'm probably going to live OFF-campus...the grad towers (Sansom) aren't that great, and generally more expensive than housing in W. Philly and is as expensive as the average cost of an apt. in Center City. I will try to live in Center City, as I've already done the West Philly thing. West Philly is nice, though. You can get some real steals, particularly out towards Hazel avenue.  West Philly may also be worth considering if you intend on having a car. It's a decent place to live if you have a family of your own, as well...

Meeting people shouldn't be that big of an issue since most grad students hang out and do "bar reviews" in Center City...

« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2008, 10:14:22 PM »
If you want real quiet and relatively inexpensive, then you want to check out the areas going from Locust down to Pine, probably starting on 43rd street. If I remember, and please, current student correct me, the trolley, which is loud as hell runs from Baltimore to Spruce on 42nd. That's probably the only noise you're going to hear, however.  Once you start hitting 43rd and Pine heading west, it's pretty much just you and your thoughts...

« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2008, 10:16:39 PM »
I'm definitely living off-campus.  If possible, I'll live with some TFA teachers.  Maybe that will make me an outsider (I'm 31, Mormon, and won't shut up about nonviolence--so that may be a given anyway).  But my experience with TFA these two years are making it hard to leave the community behind.  These are basically the best people I know.

..and me.

« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2008, 10:20:07 PM »
Does any one (current students included) have any insight into University City?  It seems much cheaper than Center City.  How is the quality there, as opposed to Center City?  Is the area not as nice, or just not as close to shopping/bars/restaurants/night life? 

I'm actually looking for a cheaper, quieter place to settle down.  What is the major difference between University City and Center City?

i wouldn't want to live any further west than 43rd of 44th street.  (West = the numbers get bigger).  University City is fine.  When I was a grad student at penn, my friends and I frequented a few bars within a block of the law school in Uni City, and we made it out to center city/old city a bit less often.

center city is more urban than uni city.  things are a bit closer together.  it reminds me a bit of Soho in NYC.

« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2008, 10:28:17 AM »
Hi All! Got the acceptance call yesterday and am excited to join this thread!

Earlier, someone said that ASW was the last weekend in March. Does anyone know the exact dates and time? My letter and package haven't come yet, and I want to get planning!

Also, do any current students know anything about the Toll Public Interest Scholars program? I am thinking about applying but the app deadline is fast approaching...

MahlerGrooves

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 06, 2008, 11:33:59 AM »

Earlier, someone said that ASW was the last weekend in March. Does anyone know the exact dates and time? My letter and package haven't come yet, and I want to get planning!

Also, do any current students know anything about the Toll Public Interest Scholars program? I am thinking about applying but the app deadline is fast approaching...

ASW is March 28 all day and March 29 until 3pm.

« Reply #148 on: February 07, 2008, 11:25:04 AM »
does it matter for the toll that im applying this late? i thought the deadline was just feb. 15, and they wouldn't consider the apps before? is the scholarship rolling?

MahlerGrooves

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 07, 2008, 02:56:14 PM »

Second that.  I'm thinking of applying even though I know I'm pretty late.

does that matter? i thought the deadline was just feb. 15, and they wouldn't consider the apps before? is the scholarship rolling?

ASW is Fri-SAt, 3/28-29.  Fri is 9-7 or so and sat is 9-3