Teacher
Rokomotion
Outlaw22
Sfmeg
MahlerGrooves
fulbrighter
jsweinbe
Phlootist (99% sure)

If you belong on this list just let me know  :)

Re: UPenn Class of 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 11:19:13 AM »
I think there's only 6 of us at this point...but the thread's gotta start sometime

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 04:39:07 PM »
Well then i'll be a proud member :)

Team Pam

• "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 12:05:27 PM »
Wow, you guys started a lot earlier than we did.  Congrats!  Let me know if you have any questions.

Rusty Shackleford

• #1 OATLAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 06:43:52 PM »
Hello class of 2011!  1L here. Had CivPro today and although we have Contracts left, I consider the semester to essentially be over.  So if anybody has any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Also, hi Team Pam.

Team Pam

• "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 07:39:38 PM »
Hello class of 2011!  1L here. Had CivPro today and although we have Contracts left, I consider the semester to essentially be over.  So if anybody has any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Also, hi Team Pam.

Hi Rusty.  :)  Did you enjoy the multiple choice from hell?

m1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 07:44:16 PM »
and since i'm in the same boat as rusty and pam, i'll throw my hat into the ring too- congrats on getting in, and fire away with any questions you guys have.  one of the 2Ls here answered some of my questions that I had before making my decision, and it really helped me make what I think was the best choice for me, so I hope I can be of some help to you guys!

Rusty Shackleford

• #1 OATLAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 08:17:37 PM »

Also, hi Team Pam.

Hi Rusty.  :)  Did you enjoy the multiple choice from hell?

Eh.  Wax was quite tricky with several of the questions.  But I expected her to be that way.

I bet she was laughing maniacally while she was writing the questions.  I didn't think the essay was too tough, though.

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 08:38:32 PM »
Hi guys.  Congrats on being done!

I have a few questions...

1.  I've heard differing opinions on the whole housing situation.  I'm now leaning toward trying to find an apartment in Center City.  Good idea?  Also, when should I start looking, and what's the best way for going about all of that?

2.  I'm guessing that because I applied ED, I'm screwed for financial aid.  Nevertheless, do you have any suggestions on how to improve my chances at any?

3.  I hear that most Penn students aren't too interested in clerkships.  I really am, though.  Is Penn not strong in that area (relative to similar schools), or is it more of a self-selection result?  Also, do you have any advice on early steps to take to prepare for trying to get one from Penn?

4.  What mistakes did you make as a 0/early 1L?

5.  How do you personally go about explaining to people that Penn is not the same thing as Penn State?   :D

Thanks!  Looking forward to next year.

'tiki

• Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 09:03:45 PM »
Congrats to the 2011 peeps! Hopefully, we will see you all next year and/or at ASW. Since Team Pam, Rusty and m1 are all from the same section, I guess I should represent my own. One more final to go, woot!

Rokomotion, to answer your questions...

1.  I've heard differing opinions on the whole housing situation.  I'm now leaning toward trying to find an apartment in Center City.  Good idea?  Also, when should I start looking, and what's the best way for going about all of that?

I personally live in CC and I love it. I like the whole idea of leaving school once I am done for the day and being walking distance from bars and clubs in CC, but many of my friends live in Sansom and they like it. It is certainly cheaper and closer and you are around many other 1Ls. I suggest you visit to evaluate where you want to live. In terms of the market here, you should start around April since landlords typically do not know if they have spaces until 60-90 days before the start of the lease.

2.  I'm guessing that because I applied ED, I'm screwed for financial aid.  Nevertheless, do you have any suggestions on how to improve my chances at any?

Penn is quite generous with financial aid, I would say to wait and see what you get first and then ask and beg for more (it really does not hurt). In terms of ED, I applied ED for UG and still got great financial and got more when I asked for it.

3.  I hear that most Penn students aren't too interested in clerkships.  I really am, though.  Is Penn not strong in that area (relative to similar schools), or is it more of a self-selection result?  Also, do you have any advice on early steps to take to prepare for trying to get one from Penn?

It is true Penn does not perform as well in terms of Clerkships compared with HYS, Chicago, etc. However, it may be due to self selection so it is hard to tell. I can tell you that one of my 3L friends got one, my LW instructor has one, and I have an interview already lined up for the summer with a judge. So it certainly is quite possible.

4.  What mistakes did you make as a 0/early 1L?

You have to be a little bit more specific as to what you mean by this. =P

5.  How do you personally go about explaining to people that Penn is not the same thing as Penn State?   :D

I personally have not had that problem because people from back home don't know either and because my friends UG all know Penn. I think the confusion issue is a little overstated but if people think Penn State just respond "Nah, I mean the Ivy League one." It's a little pretentious but it works.