Law School Discussion

UPenn Class of 2011

m1

• View Profile
Re: UPenn Class of 2011
« Reply #400 on: June 13, 2008, 03:56:51 PM »
Congrats!  Join the crowd...and come to penn :)

rolls

« Reply #401 on: June 16, 2008, 09:23:31 AM »
I got in about ten days ago and wanted to say hello to everyone, and I'm looking forward to the fall!
Is anyone going to be in Philly early/mid July?

TimMitchell

« Reply #402 on: June 17, 2008, 07:39:59 AM »
Not at Penn yet, will be applying this upcoming cycle. Just wanted to tag this topic and ask this question.

When you tell people you are going (or want) to go to Penn, how many think Penn State? How many know the difference? I live in Wilmington, DE which is practically a suburb of Philly and most of my friends are clueless that an Ivy is in our backyard. If I get in should I just grab a Nittany Lion hoodie and be done with it?

Team Pam

• "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 17, 2008, 11:48:09 AM »
Not at Penn yet, will be applying this upcoming cycle. Just wanted to tag this topic and ask this question.

When you tell people you are going (or want) to go to Penn, how many think Penn State? How many know the difference? I live in Wilmington, DE which is practically a suburb of Philly and most of my friends are clueless that an Ivy is in our backyard. If I get in should I just grab a Nittany Lion hoodie and be done with it?

I've honestly never met anyone who didn't know the difference, unless you count comment trolls on Above The Law.

« Reply #404 on: June 17, 2008, 06:07:11 PM »

I don't know the answer to this, but I was under the impression that nobody LIVES in Wilmington, Delaware.  Once, I left work after 6:30, and I swear I saw a tumbleweed pass in front of my car.

TimMitchell

« Reply #405 on: June 17, 2008, 06:33:36 PM »

I don't know the answer to this, but I was under the impression that nobody LIVES in Wilmington, Delaware.  Once, I left work after 6:30, and I swear I saw a tumbleweed pass in front of my car.

I don't know what you're implying about the bustling metropolis I call home  ;D.

The city has a bunch of neighborhood areas, but I'm out in the 'burbs

« Reply #406 on: June 25, 2008, 10:29:49 PM »
Hi everybody,

I've been in at Penn for awhile but have just been lurking on this thread until now. I'm excited to join you next year! I was vacillating between Penn and another school until this week, and I was wondering -- why did you guys pick Penn? What are you most worried about/not looking forward to?

My answers: I chose Penn because the people seem cool, and I like the fact that the law school is quite small but connected to the rest of the university. I also like the Wharton certificate option. I'm not looking forward to Philly, though...

« Reply #407 on: June 26, 2008, 06:49:49 AM »
i ended up not choosing Penn, but this thread still shows up in my unreads, and i just had to chime in...

Philly is AWESOME.  Amazing food/drinks for cheeeap, great cost of living, the city has tons of personality, it's beautiful and historic, and crime is not that bad.  Get over it - you're going to love Philly!

::retreats back to the CLS thread::

Team Pam

• "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 26, 2008, 06:50:41 AM »
Hi everybody,

I've been in at Penn for awhile but have just been lurking on this thread until now. I'm excited to join you next year! I was vacillating between Penn and another school until this week, and I was wondering -- why did you guys pick Penn? What are you most worried about/not looking forward to?

My answers: I chose Penn because the people seem cool, and I like the fact that the law school is quite small but connected to the rest of the university. I also like the Wharton certificate option. I'm not looking forward to Philly, though...

What bothers you about Philly?  Maybe those of us already here can help you feel better about it.  I was in LA for five years before moving here, so it was a huge culture shock for me.  I hated it at first, but it's definitely started to grow on me.  I still don't think I'll stay here past law school, but I'm no longer upset about having to spend two more years here at all.

« Reply #409 on: June 26, 2008, 07:17:17 AM »
Maybe I will end up loving Philly, but right now my ambivalence is about the fact that every picture of the city I see that's not either Penn-related or major-historical-sight related seems kind of run down and depressed (in an economical sense, but also I think that can lead to a certain depressing kind of aura). I asked my friend living there to go around town and take a bunch of pictures of various places: the grass in the parks seems to be brown rather than lush, the buildings seem to be needing a lot of touch-ups, and the streets seem kind of empty.

I'm used to living in a very crowded and intense city and Philly (again, just from pictures) seems to feel a bit empty, almost lonely. But everybody who's actually spent time there says that it's not that bad or even that it's great, as lovebutton did. So I'm looking forward to being wrong!