Law School Discussion

UPenn Class of 2011

Re: UPenn Class of 2011
« Reply #390 on: April 06, 2008, 11:57:56 AM »

If you want to be scared for your life, head about 20 blocks west of campus.

While West Philly is filled with modern-day rogues and Putneys, anyone with a reasonably strong shin has nothing to worry about.

LOL.

You will laugh a lot harder at that joke after your first week of Torts :)

i remember professor morse discussing the eggshell head guy, so i think i get it.  am i missing something else?

yeah, there is a case called Vosburg v. Putney that you read in your first week of torts.  Vosburg had extremely weak shins (our torts professor referenced him as eggshell shin vosburg for the entire semester) and was tapped on the shin by a classmate, which, after a series of unfortunate events, permanently disabled said leg.  The professor also created a character called iron shin jones, to prove a point about the reasonable person standard in torts.  Thus, the joke about shins and west philly being filled with Putneys.  The only other thing it means is that both of those posters are people from Section 2 at Penn law. 

I also have a fragile ego. Please be gentle.

What's section 2?

Alas, my one-legged friend, it appears that your memory has become quite fragile as well! m1 is, of course, referring to the group of people we attend class with every day here at Princeton Law School.

« Reply #391 on: April 07, 2008, 08:04:51 AM »
Hey all - just thought I would introduce myself since I'm likely going to Penn this fall! Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to ASW, but I'm most likely going to be at the open house this weekend. Anyone else on the forum going to be there?

MahlerGrooves

• See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 07, 2008, 08:08:30 AM »
Hey all - just thought I would introduce myself since I'm likely going to Penn this fall! Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to ASW, but I'm most likely going to be at the open house this weekend. Anyone else on the forum going to be there?

Welcome!  Be sure to join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6483003748

« Reply #393 on: April 07, 2008, 08:30:24 AM »
Oh I'm on there - should be pretty easy to find me.

« Reply #394 on: May 24, 2008, 08:53:55 AM »
Is the graduate hospital area a popular place to live? How far is it from the law school? Is it safe? What about Naval Square and S. Philly?

Is the graduate hospital area a popular place to live?

No; very few students live south of South.  If you include streets north of South, like Pine, then yes (but I'd say that's still arguably "Rittenhouse Square").

How far is it from the law school?

It's not terrible--maybe 40 min by foot--but the bus you'd take runs down Walnut... which is one reason why I think students stay further North.  Previously you could take a bus over the South St bridge, but they're closing the bridge to fix it up, and who knows how long that will take?

Is it safe?

I have have friends who have lived there without getting mugged, but it's not what you would call a welcoming environment.

What about Naval Square and S. Philly?

No.  No.

Like anything else, you get what you pay for.

« Reply #395 on: May 28, 2008, 10:39:29 AM »
Wow, thanks! Any background on Riverloft, Riverwest, or 4300 Spruce? Do many people live at Domus?

I looked at Riverloft, Domus, and 4300 Spruce (if you're talking about the condos).

Riverloft was great and if you looked through the Wharton Housing info it got the best reviews. The studios have an office/closet that you can actually put a double bed in so it's more like a 1br and not a studio. Hardwood floors/ new appliances - really nice quality. The location is also great. That being said, it's very expensive. The cheapest studio I could find available was $1400+. I don't know how many law students live there, if any, but there are a lot of Wharton students. All things considered it was probably my favorite place, but too expensive for me. However, if you can pay that much, the reviews I read from Wharton students who live there said Riverloft was well worth the extra $$.

Domus is also extremely nice and I know there are law students who live there. You can literally throw a rock at the law school from Domus - whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is for you to decide. Some people love the convenience of being so close to school and others seem to prefer a little more distance and living in Center City. I think for 1L it would be better because of early classes and other 1Ls will be living in University City. But after that Center City seems like the place to be.

I have a lot to say about the condos at 4300 Spruce, so if you want to hear about my experience you can PM me.

I would also check out Left Bank, 2400 Chestnut and Locust on the Park as well.

Ding me I dare ya!

• Yatta!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 05, 2008, 01:41:39 PM »
random questions for current students:

do you guys get a printing allowance for printing on campus or do you have to pay per page?

whats the best/cheapest internet and cable provider in the university city area?

thanks!

« Reply #397 on: June 05, 2008, 04:32:40 PM »

Printing allowance per semester: first 2500 pages are free; 8 cents per page thereafter. Scanning to e-mail (as PDF) is free.

I didn't use even half my allotment each semester.

Team Pam

• "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 07, 2008, 01:35:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure Comcast has a monopoly on cable/internet around here, which sucks, as they're pretty expensive. 

dpwc

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 13, 2008, 02:46:33 PM »
Was accepted yesterday and just checking in.