Law School Discussion

UPenn Class of 2011

MahlerGrooves

• See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
Re: UPenn Class of 2011
« Reply #380 on: April 03, 2008, 07:51:50 PM »
Just wait for the first 3 weeks of class.  You'll find out, VERY quickly, what a gunner is

It seems like none of the current students I've met so far are gunners.  That could be because they really aren't or because I'll be a gunner and can't recognize it...  I hope it's the first one...

antaresvi

• law school.
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 03, 2008, 10:18:20 PM »
Just wait for the first 3 weeks of class.  You'll find out, VERY quickly, what a gunner is

It seems like none of the current students I've met so far are gunners.  That could be because they really aren't or because I'll be a gunner and can't recognize it...  I hope it's the first one...

FWIW, I didn't think you were terribly gunnerish in Morse's class. For all I know, you saved me from being cold called-upon!

MahlerGrooves

• See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 03, 2008, 10:22:38 PM »
FWIW, I didn't think you were terribly gunnerish in Morse's class. For all I know, you saved me from being cold called-upon!

Thank you.  I didn't feel like I was, but I never can tell WHAT people think is being gunnerish.  It was cool though how, when I wanted to ASK a question, he was like "Well, I'll let you ask one since you've been having to answer them the whole time."  I just hope I didn't sound dumb...or tyrranical (with my wanting her to stay in prison).

« Reply #383 on: April 03, 2008, 11:35:56 PM »
Thank you.  I didn't feel like I was, but I never can tell WHAT people think is being gunnerish.  It was cool though how, when I wanted to ASK a question, he was like "Well, I'll let you ask one since you've been having to answer them the whole time."  I just hope I didn't sound dumb...or tyrranical (with my wanting her to stay in prison).

ATL has two posts with comments chock full of gunner behavior:
http://www.abovethelaw.com/2008/01/law_school_gunners_open_thread.php
http://www.abovethelaw.com/2008/01/law_school_gunners_open_thread_2.php

This is an excellent example of gunner behavior from the comments:  "The chairs in our classrooms swiveled through a roughly 120 degree arc. Said gunner sat front-row center in every first-year class, and when called upon (he raised his hand for everything, with his index finger extended, of course), he'd swivel his seat as far as he could and give his five-minute answer TO THE CLASS, as if he were a mini-me professor."

----------------------------------------------------

You can also consider UVA's fantasy gunner league scoring system as a guide for what NOT to do (the higher the point value, the less you should be doing it!).  Here's a sample of the scoring:
- Raising hand obnoxiously to get professor’s attention (waving back and forth, etc) (3)
- Speaking without being called on (3)
- Arguing with the Professor (10)
- Disparaging another student in an answer (ie. “For those of us who bothered to do the reading...”) (15)
- Using unassigned material in an answer (5)
- Asking a question not related to the topic (3)

---------------------------------------------------------

But my favorite of those ATL comments is the "You Might be a Gunner..." one:

If you've ever introduced a hypothetical with the phrase, "I'm thinking of an exceedingly complex situation," . . . you might be a gunner.

If you've ever googled something during class just to subsequently raise your hand and talk about it as if you've always known about it because you are really smart . . . you might be a gunner.

If you have ever been the only person in the room with your hand up and the professor sees you but still asks if anyone would like to take a stab at answering his question . . . you might be a gunner.

If you hear a low groan everytime a professor calls on you . . . you might be a gunner.

If you are 35, had a previous career, and relate every single class discussion to when you were a real estate agent, or sold life insurance . . . you might be a gunner at a TTT.

If you ever posed a hypothetical in class that changed all but the operative facts . . . you are an idiot and you also might be a gunner.

« Reply #384 on: April 04, 2008, 09:51:55 AM »

If you want to be scared for your life, head about 20 blocks west of campus.

While West Philly is filled with modern-day rogues and Putneys, anyone with a reasonably strong shin has nothing to worry about.

LOL.

« Reply #385 on: April 04, 2008, 11:22:55 AM »
I agreed with you.  I thought she should stay in jail :)

m1

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 04, 2008, 12:59:59 PM »

While West Philly is filled with modern-day rogues and Putneys, anyone with a reasonably strong shin has nothing to worry about.

LOL.

You will laugh a lot harder at that joke after your first week of Torts :)

« Reply #387 on: April 04, 2008, 01:22:21 PM »

LOL.

i remember professor morse discussing the eggshell head guy, so i think i get it.  am i missing something else?

m1

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 05, 2008, 12:20:25 PM »

LOL.

i remember professor morse discussing the eggshell head guy, so i think i get it.  am i missing something else?

yeah, there is a case called Vosburg v. Putney that you read in your first week of torts.  Vosburg had extremely weak shins (our torts professor referenced him as eggshell shin vosburg for the entire semester) and was tapped on the shin by a classmate, which, after a series of unfortunate events, permanently disabled said leg.  The professor also created a character called iron shin jones, to prove a point about the reasonable person standard in torts.  Thus, the joke about shins and west philly being filled with Putneys.  The only other thing it means is that both of those posters are people from Section 2 at Penn law. 

« Reply #389 on: April 06, 2008, 11:41:11 AM »

LOL.

yeah, there is a case called Vosburg v. Putney that you read in your first week of torts.  Vosburg had extremely weak shins (our torts professor referenced him as eggshell shin vosburg for the entire semester) and was tapped on the shin by a classmate, which, after a series of unfortunate events, permanently disabled said leg.  The professor also created a character called iron shin jones, to prove a point about the reasonable person standard in torts.  Thus, the joke about shins and west philly being filled with Putneys.  The only other thing it means is that both of those posters are people from Section 2 at Penn law. 

I also have a fragile ego. Please be gentle.

What's section 2?