Law School Discussion

UPenn Class of 2011

MahlerGrooves

• See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
Re: UPenn Class of 2011
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2007, 08:12:15 AM »
Add me to the list as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In terms of summer jobs this year any advice?  Should I aim for a philidelphia firm if i'd liek to work there during my second year as well?

Is it even possible to work for a firm BEFORE 1L year starts?  Now I'm going to have to look into this...

m1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2007, 08:24:14 PM »
people do it all the time, although the work you will be doing at a firm before law school is absolutely nothing like the work you will be doing during your 1L and 2L summers there.  I worked for a firm and a judge while I was in college, and both were amazing experiences, but what I did during those two summers was not like what i'll be doing this summer

Team Pam

• "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2007, 10:56:06 PM »
people do it all the time, although the work you will be doing at a firm before law school is absolutely nothing like the work you will be doing during your 1L and 2L summers there.  I worked for a firm and a judge while I was in college, and both were amazing experiences, but what I did during those two summers was not like what i'll be doing this summer

Aren't you supposed to be driving home?

MahlerGrooves

• See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2007, 06:01:41 AM »

How do you go about this?  I have a friend who works for a big firm here in Philly, and I;m wondering if these firms hire 0Ls as well.  Just wondering how to apply to people for a job when I;m not in school yet.  Could Penn's career office help me or will they not care until I am actually a 1L?

Thanks!

Team Pam

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2007, 10:28:34 AM »

How do you go about this?  I have a friend who works for a big firm here in Philly, and I;m wondering if these firms hire 0Ls as well.  Just wondering how to apply to people for a job when I;m not in school yet.  Could Penn's career office help me or will they not care until I am actually a 1L?

Thanks!

Talk to your friend!  Start networking and letting it be known that you're looking for legal work.  I'm pretty sure Penn can't do anything for you until you're actually a student, though.  As m1 said, there's a huge difference between the internships you get as a law student and the jobs available to you with only a bachelor's degree, but it's still very valuable experience.  And if you totally hate it, then at least you'll have figured that out before wasting $180k on a JD.  ;)

m1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2007, 09:32:27 PM »
i got mine through personal connections, to be honest.  use any connection you have or can find, or even just network with alumni from your alma mater. 

Rusty Shackleford

• #1 OATLAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2007, 10:34:33 PM »
i got mine through personal connections, to be honest.  use any connection you have or can find, or even just network with alumni from your alma mater. 

Hey m1, how bout them Cowboys?

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2007, 02:42:11 AM »
Welcome, newbies!

still up working on the ol' seminar paper... i love the seminars, but one thing about 'em is it's really a license to procrastinate...  ;)

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2007, 03:03:32 AM »
3.  I hear that most Penn students aren't too interested in clerkships.  I really am, though.  Is Penn not strong in that area (relative to similar schools), or is it more of a self-selection result?  Also, do you have any advice on early steps to take to prepare for trying to get one from Penn?

I'll tackle this one, since I'm starting to think about what judges I'm going to apply to.  Nowhere does the prestige of your school matters more than on your clerkship application.  While HYS are clearly tops, Penn does pretty well.  We have two Supreme Court clerks this term, and a 3L got Kozinski for next year (largely considered a feeder for a SCOTUS clerkship). 

You can check out the circuit breakdown here:  http://lawschoolclerkship.blogspot.com/
Not surprisingly, the hiring is in part geographic--so as you can see, Penn is rocking the 3rd Circuit, Chi dominates the 7th, and Columbia does well in the 2nd (although the 2nd, like the 1st, is dominated by HY, and if you're not magna... good luck).  Keep in mind, these stats are for Circuit clerkships only, and in many cases working for a District Court judge is actually a better decision if you hope to improve your litigation skills.  I worked for a judge in the EDPA last summer, and it was fantastic.  That said, if I can get decent 2L grades I'll probably shoot for the 3rd, 7th, D.C., and 9th Circuits.... we'll see.  I'll also likely apply to some SDNY district court judges, but many of those clerkships are just as difficult to land as federal appellate.  [This is where you make fun of me for being a gunner.]

As far as preferences, I know quite a few people looking towards clerkships.  But as always, the money at a law firm is very appealing, and it's hard to accept that I'll have to be poor for another year.   :(  Also, some people choose to delay their applications for a year or two to pay off loans.

If you're seriously considering gunning for a federal appellate court, you need great grades, great recs, and generally Law Review.  You'll also want to work hard to become a great legal writer (and hopefully get honors in legal writing).... while many people don't put a lot of effort into the course because it's pass/fail, legal writing is crucial for your role as a clerk.

More advice here: http://ms-jd.org/clerkship-applications-2ls-start-your-engines

Oh, and one other thing:  don't forget that you can clerk in Hawaii and Puerto Rico!  8)

Team Pam

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2007, 06:26:54 AM »
Legapp, why couldn't you have told me that about legal writing BEFORE I was halfway through the course? :p