Law School Discussion

UPenn Class of 2011

Re: UPenn Class of 2011
« Reply #260 on: February 29, 2008, 12:08:33 PM »
oh myyyyy I actually know where I'm gonna be in the Fall next year...
yayyy PENN! ;D

is University City that bad? I need my own place for about $600-700 (yea I'm middle class poor so I can't afford an expensive place on my own and I prolly wont get enough ... if any... financial aid :-\)

My sister lives in Center City right now so I know the area and really like it but I dont know if I can afford it or if living far away from the campus is gonna be a huge pain...

decisions decisions

This is kinda fun. :D

Congrats again!! Be sure to join our facebook group!

I'm also leaning toward University City. I want to be close to campus/the library etc..

MahlerGrooves

• See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 29, 2008, 01:38:02 PM »

I'm also leaning toward University City. I want to be close to campus/the library etc..

You just want to have a movie theater in your building...damn Domus  ;)

« Reply #262 on: February 29, 2008, 01:41:19 PM »
oh myyyyy I actually know where I'm gonna be in the Fall next year...
yayyy PENN! ;D

is University City that bad? I need my own place for about $600-700 (yea I'm middle class poor so I can't afford an expensive place on my own and I prolly wont get enough ... if any... financial aid :-\)

My sister lives in Center City right now so I know the area and really like it but I dont know if I can afford it or if living far away from the campus is gonna be a huge pain...

decisions decisions

This is kinda fun. :D

If I end up at Penn (which is a strong possibility at this point but not for sure) I am also planning on living in University City.  My husband is in grad school in Baltimore (where we live now) and he will be staying here, in the house we own, for the next 2 years while I'm in law school.  Since I'll be leaving pretty often on weekends to come down to Baltimore, all I really want in Philly is a place close to school where I can sleep. and hopefully somewhere that I can have my dog, too.

« Reply #263 on: February 29, 2008, 03:21:31 PM »

You just want to have a movie theater in your building...damn Domus  ;)

lol shhhhhh. I want to be close to the library ok?

« Reply #264 on: February 29, 2008, 06:15:25 PM »
man, my advocacy skills must be pretty sucky, since i seem to have convinced NONE of you to live in center city...  :-[

for cheap, somewhat crappy places in cc, try green street realty.  also look at center city realty, which has several places just south of south that are much more affordable.  the area around 12th/13th st, which is very fun, can also be a bit cheaper, as is queens village and the italian market.  one other thing to consider is the subway--some upperclassmen live in old city, which is very quick because you can take the subway.

« Reply #265 on: February 29, 2008, 07:15:39 PM »
man, my advocacy skills must be pretty sucky, since i seem to have convinced NONE of you to live in center city...  :-[

for cheap, somewhat crappy places in cc, try green street realty.  also look at center city realty, which has several places just south of south that are much more affordable.  the area around 12th/13th st, which is very fun, can also be a bit cheaper, as is queens village and the italian market.  one other thing to consider is the subway--some upperclassmen live in old city, which is very quick because you can take the subway.

haha. you can keep trying - I'm not sold either way. I'm curious - why would you recommend CC over somewhere like say Left Bank where walking to Penn is an option and CC is right there (or seems to be). I'm not questioning you - I really want to know more about 'why CC'

Ding me I dare ya!

• Yatta!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 29, 2008, 08:50:49 PM »

actuallyyy... you're part of the reason why I'm rethinking my whole housing situation so dont feel bad about ur skillz :P

I don't know I'm not a huge partier anymore.  I got that out of my system during undergrad. So the "social scene" isn't a huge factor. I just want a decent place thats cheap and convienent.  The whole "dont go down this street too far or you'll get mugged" is not something I wanna deal with... so I'm starting to lean towards CC...
also idk CC just seems like a happier place to be (totally not based on anything)

In terms of grocceries and other such lame everyday things how does CC and UC compare?

How soon do I really need to be figuring out housing? like actively go down to Philly and check out the places/talk to the landlords?

Ding me I dare ya!

• Yatta!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 29, 2008, 08:54:46 PM »
Financial Aid Question for all you all
We dont need to fill out the Parent part of the FAFSA, do we?

It says in the financial aid booklet that came in the package that the student info is needed for the FAFSA and the student and parent info for the NeedAccess

Did I read that correctly?

« Reply #268 on: February 29, 2008, 09:25:23 PM »
haha. you can keep trying - I'm not sold either way. I'm curious - why would you recommend CC over somewhere like say Left Bank where walking to Penn is an option and CC is right there (or seems to be). I'm not questioning you - I really want to know more about 'why CC'

When you walk out the front door of Left Bank, you see big slabs of grey concrete and empty parking lots (part of Penn's 20 yr plan is to change this, but it won't matter while you're in school).  There are no other residents around, and the only people who live in the Left Bank are other students.  There is no sense of community, since everyone is transient.

OTOH, in the Fitler Square area, there are still a lot of graduate students, but there are also permanent residents who care about making it a great place to live.  When I walk out my front door, I see charming owner-inhabited townhouses, trees, and brick sidewalks.  On my corner is a gourmet take-out shop where the owner oohs over my dog and keeps a jar of doggie treats behind the counter for her.  Down the block is the dog run, where I meet lots of cool dogs, which makes me happy no matter how stressed I am about law school.   :)  There are biannual festivals in that park, and there are also community parties in Fitler Square itself.  The same people come to the farmer's market every Saturday, and they explain how to cook different vegetables.    The "pepper man" is especially cool.  I also like the jewelry artist who's often there.  A block away, the art gallery have opening receptions the first Friday of every month.  Andro's sells ice cream and the best desserts.  A few blocks further is Rittenhouse, where you can bring a blanket and have a picnic while you study.   

« Reply #269 on: February 29, 2008, 09:40:57 PM »
actuallyyy... you're part of the reason why I'm rethinking my whole housing situation so dont feel bad about ur skillz :P

I don't know I'm not a huge partier anymore.  I got that out of my system during undergrad. So the "social scene" isn't a huge factor. I just want a decent place thats cheap and convienent.  The whole "dont go down this street too far or you'll get mugged" is not something I wanna deal with... so I'm starting to lean towards CC...
also idk CC just seems like a happier place to be (totally not based on anything)

In terms of groceries and other such lame everyday things how does CC and UC compare?

How soon do I really need to be figuring out housing? like actively go down to Philly and check out the places/talk to the landlords?

I addressed most of what I love about my nabe in the last post... but as far as grocery stores go, I must say I'm on the Trader Joe's bandwagon.  It's awesome--delicious, healthy (ish) food and great prices... it's at Market & 22nd.  For upscale gourmet treats, particularly in the cheese area, DiBruno Brothers at 18th & Chestnut is amazing (even if you just go for the free samples).  Their marina sauce and olive oil is expensive, but completely worth it.  For necessities (toilet paper and whatnot), I usually just stop at RiteAid (23rd and Walnut) on the way home--it's also good because it's open 24 hours.  In the other direction, there's a regular grocery store on South St. and 23rd, and a liquor store on South at about 24th.  But the food is so good at Bacchus (23rd and Spruce) that I don't grocery shop as much as my wallet would probably like!   ;)

If you want a highrise, you need to put yourself on the waiting lists now.  Otherwise, most places won't even have listings until three months in advance, and often there's even less lead time than that.  I think I found my place (via Craigslist) in June.