Law School Discussion

UPenn Class of 2011

MahlerGrooves

• See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
Re: UPenn Class of 2011
« Reply #250 on: February 23, 2008, 09:13:01 AM »
Write a why penn.  absolutely.

I don't think it has to cover many reasons, but I do think you should touch on something other than this one program.

TITCR.  The WhyPenn is pretty much essential for them.  Penn is very much a "fit" school, and they want people that really want to go there.

PM me and I'll read it if you like.

Team Pam

• "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 23, 2008, 09:39:06 AM »
Thirding the above -- definitely write a Why Penn!  And while I wouldn't focus 100% on the Lauder program, don't stretch yourself too far, either -- just make it about you.  Mine talked about the interdisciplinary aspect of the school, but also about how I liked that they weren't just giving lip service to diversity (the first woman graduated from Penn Law in the 1880s, as opposed to certain peer schools who didn't admit women until the 1960s), and about how much fun I had living in Philly for a summer during undergrad.

Good luck!  PM me if you'd like another set of eyes to look it over.  :)

« Reply #252 on: February 23, 2008, 09:49:05 AM »
To those who applied for the scholarship, what kind of law are you interested in?

I'm interested in women;s rights and its intersections with the law.

I'm also bummed that we won't hear till April, it is definitely a big factor in my decision. I'm not getting my hopes up though -- I was stupid and turned in the app a few days before the due date only to be told that the scholarship process was "rolling." I'm reasonably confident that they already had most if not all the scholars picked out before the due date...

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 23, 2008, 10:36:56 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  And I will be taking those who offered to read up on their offers.  Be on the lookout!

« Reply #254 on: February 24, 2008, 12:34:29 AM »
anyone hear about scholarship offers yet?  particularly the James Wilson?

« Reply #255 on: February 27, 2008, 02:41:20 PM »
Crap!  The cheap hotel Penn was offering for their ASW is booked.  Just in case anybody else was wondering if they waited too long-- yep, we did.

Anyway, I was in Philly today for a doctors appointment and I started to get excited.  6 months...

princetonug

• princetonug on xoxo
    • View Profile
    • My Law School Numbers Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 28, 2008, 05:35:48 PM »
Can anyone discuss employment prospects in a down economy like this one? Even in rosier times, Anthony Ciolli could only get a marginal job (which he was fired from). Is this atypical?

« Reply #257 on: February 29, 2008, 03:52:46 AM »
Crap!  The cheap hotel Penn was offering for their ASW is booked.  Just in case anybody else was wondering if they waited too long-- yep, we did.

Anyway, I was in Philly today for a doctors appointment and I started to get excited.  6 months...

Turns out I lied.  You have to call and assure the operator that there are rooms reserved for the ASW event and give them the UNI code.  Then they relent and let you have a room.  :)

« Reply #258 on: February 29, 2008, 06:33:25 AM »
Can anyone discuss employment prospects in a down economy like this one? Even in rosier times, Anthony Ciolli could only get a marginal job (which he was fired from). Is this atypical?

are you kidding?  anthony ciolli had a lot of other issues that essentially rendered his law degree useless.

Ding me I dare ya!

• Yatta!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 29, 2008, 12:00:38 PM »
oh myyyyy I actually know where I'm gonna be in the Fall next year...
yayyy PENN! ;D

is University City that bad? I need my own place for about $600-700 (yea I'm middle class poor so I can't afford an expensive place on my own and I prolly wont get enough ... if any... financial aid :-\)

My sister lives in Center City right now so I know the area and really like it but I dont know if I can afford it or if living far away from the campus is gonna be a huge pain...

decisions decisions

This is kinda fun. :D