Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: McCan? is the comeback kid??? too liberal or a hawk?  (Read 6546 times)

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
McCan? is the comeback kid??? too liberal or a hawk?
« on: December 15, 2007, 04:53:03 AM »
here's the test...

POLL: McCain the most popular presidential candidate nationwide
Arizona senator beats Gore in hypothetical match-up; First Lady has uphill climb in New York Senate race
By Keating Holland/CNN

February 7, 2000
Web posted at: 5:05 p.m. EST (2205 GMT)

Arizona Sen. John McCain is now the most popular presidential candidate among likely voters nationwide, and for the first time, McCain has more support than George W. Bush in hypothetical match-ups against Al Gore, according to a CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll released Monday.

The poll, conducted February 4-6, consisted of interviews with 1,018 Americans -- including 386 registered Democrats and 401 registered Republicans.

If the election were held today, 58 percent of all likely voters would choose McCain and 36 percent would pick Gore. In the same scenario, Bush would beat Gore by a smaller 53 percent to 44 percent margin. McCain also possesses a larger lead than Bush over former New Jersey Sen. Bill Bradley.

Over half of all registered voters nationwide still want Bush as the party's nominee, but McCain's share of the GOP vote has more than doubled since mid-January.

The number of likely voters with a favorable view of McCain has jumped 16 points, to 76 percent, the highest favorable rating of any presidential candidate nationwide. There was little or no change in the other candidates' favorable ratings during the same period.

More bad news for Bush: nearly two-thirds of all registered Republicans say that they would prefer a candidate who is not tied to the party's leaders. That indicates that Bush's ace-in-the-hole -- endorsements and organizational support from officeholders around the country -- could be used against him.

That's far less of a problem for Gore. A majority of Democrats say they prefer a candidate who is loyal to the party, a key reason why Gore has maintained a hefty lead over Bradley.

However, the election is still nine months away, and with so many primaries, debates and other events remaining on the political calendar, public opinion is guaranteed to change repeatedly.

CNN/USA TODAY/GALLUP POLL
Likely voters' opinion of McCain
                  Now    January

Favorable         67%      51%
Unfavorable       12       17
Unsure            13       22
Sampling error: +/-5% pts

We'd like to get your overall opinion of some people in the news. As I read each name, please say if you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of each person.

Favorable       Unfavorable
McCain        67%             12
Bradley       63              18
Bush          63              31
Gore          57              37

If Vice President Al Gore were the Democratic Party's candidate and Arizona Sen. John McCain were the Republican Party's candidate, who would you be more likely to vote for?

Now      January

McCain       58%      52%
Gore         36       42

If Vice President Al Gore were the Democratic Party's candidate and Texas Gov. George W. Bush were the Republican Party's candidate, who would you be more likely to vote for?

Now    January
Bush         53%    53%
Gore         44     41

If former New Jersey Sen. Bill Bradley were the Democratic Party's candidate and Arizona Sen. John McCain were the Republican Party's candidate, who would you be more likely to vote for?

Now    January
McCain     58%     47%
Bradley    35      43

If former New Jersey Sen. Bill Bradley were the Democratic Party's candidate and Texas Gov. George W. Bush were the Republican Party's candidate, who would you be more likely to vote for?

Now    January
Bush         55%     49%
Bradley      41      45

Which candidate would you be most likely to support for the Republican nomination for president this year? (Asked of Registered/Leaning Republicans)

Now    January
Bush         56%     65%
McCain       34      15

Which candidate would you be most likely to support for the Republican nomination for president this year? (Asked of Registered/Leaning Republicans)

Bush         56%
McCain       34
Keyes         3
Forbes        2

Which candidate would you be most likely to support for the Democratic nomination for president this year? (Registered/Leaning Democrats)

Now   January
Gore       65%     67%
Bradley    24      21

Which of the following two types of candidates would you rather have as your party's nominee for president -- one who is loyal to your party (or) one who is not tied to your party's leaders?

Democrats    Republicans
Is loyal to party     51%          30%
Is not tied to        43           64
 party leaders

Hillary Clinton has a positive image, but ratings continue to tumble
Americans have generally favorable views of Hillary Clinton but her ratings have tumbled from a year ago when she first began to seriously consider running for the Senate from New York. Despite those favorable opinions of the first lady, Americans don't necessarily want to see her in the U.S. Senate.

Forty-nine percent of all Americans said they would vote against her if they lived in New York; 46 percent would vote for her. That's in contrast to the two-thirds who approve of the way she has handled her job as first lady, and the 69 percent who say she has had a positive influence on her husband's administration.

Her approval rating is down from a high of 80 percent last February, but it is worth noting that those approval ratings may have been artificially high because of sympathy for her in the midst of the impeachment crisis.

Suppose you lived in New York State, would you vote for Hillary Rodham Clinton for senator, or not?

Yes      46%
No       49
Sampling error: +/-3% pts

Do you approve or disapprove of the way Hillary Rodham Clinton is handling her job as First Lady?

Now        February 1999
Approve        65%        80%
Disapprove     30         17

Do you think Hillary Clinton's influence has been generally positive or generally negative on the Clinton Administration?

Positive        69%
Negative        25

If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: McCan? is the comeback kid??? too liberal or a hawk?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 02:58:32 AM »
McCain...how does this guy do it?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 04:26:41 PM »
drugs and sycophants like you.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 04:30:15 PM »
not pick up truck?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 08:22:15 AM »
no, julie never pick up truck.

dipshit.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 02:44:57 AM »
:D :D :D :D...looks like you're right about hiliary's campaign.

psssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

'Calculating' Clinton gets friendly as Iowa fails to feel the love

Suzanne Goldenberg in Iowa and New Hampshire
Saturday December 22, 2007
The Guardian

Roger Tilton had been wrestling with his conscience for five months by the time he stood up on the gymnasium floor of a college in New Hampshire and confronted Hillary Clinton.
"I have two daughters and they both want me to vote for you as president," he began. His friends supported Clinton. "They say that you are warm and sincere and funny, smart, brilliant, intelligent." But Tilton, a financial adviser, was torn. "I like your programmes but there is still a disconnect for me, he said. "Sometimes I think you come on cold and politically calculating."

He added: "There is a disconnect."
Clinton's smile stayed fixed, but her jaw clenched slightly. "Well your two daughters sound very smart to me," she said. She ran through her CV and her standard complaint that she is judged far more harshly than others in the race for the White House. "I can't be anything other than what I am. I'll do the very best I can," Clinton said.

Tilton was unconvinced and in that exchange - a not untypical encounter for Clinton as she campaigns in New Hampshire and Iowa - lies the dilemma confronting many Democratic activists.

They respect Clinton's intellect. They admire her performance in the debates. They realise she has grown into a formidable candidate. But it is difficult for them to commit to a candidate who not only voted in favour of the war on Iraq in 2002, but has refused to express contrition, or any deep emotion, about that choice. The unease is deepened by Clinton's vote last September for designating Iran's Revolutionary Guards a terrorist entity.

That frustration with Clinton now threatens her chances of winning the Democratic nomination. With just 12 days to go before the Iowa caucuses on January 3 and the start of the primary season, Clinton has made a strategic shift in her campaign to try to persuade reluctant voters to like her and trust her.

It's a tough fight. Opinion polls in Iowa show Clinton in a dead heat with Barack Obama and John Edwards. Some Democratic county officials predict Clinton could be relegated to third place, a finish that could damage her in the New Hampshire primary five days later, and ultimately cost her the nomination.

The new Clinton, as revealed during the last week in Iowa and New Hampshire, is a very different woman than the cerebral creature who first hit the campaign trail. "It has moved much more towards a 'please like me' kind of pitch," said David Redlawsk, who teaches politics at the University of Iowa and is the director of its Hawkeye poll. "I think it's an effort to stem a perceived drop in support among women."

That's the public stage. Behind the scenes, campaign operatives have been waging a ruthless smear campaign against Obama and, to a lesser extent, Edwards. In recent days, Clinton aides have tried to raise doubts about Obama's overweening ambition (he wanted to be president when he in kindergarten); his character (he tried drugs when he was a teenager); his commitment to principle (in the Illinois senate he frequently voted "present" to avoid taking sides on an issue); and, within the past 24 hours, his knowledge of world affairs.

So far as the people of Iowa and New Hampshire are concerned, however, the campaign wants their eyes fixed on positive images of Clinton as daughter, mother, and friend.

In one campaign ad, Dorothy Rodham, 88, confides she would vote for Clinton even if she wasn't her daughter, saying "she has empathy for other people's unfortunate circumstances".

Other ads show Clinton sharing a joke with her daughter, Chelsea, and wrapping presents, such as universal healthcare, for voters: Clinton as Santa.

In election meetings, she is introduced by ordinary people offering up examples of everyday kindness - "the Hillary I know". Clinton is making herself more available for questions; she has gone canvassing door-to-door in a working-class neighbourhood of Manchester, New Hampshire.

All of this effort is aimed at winning back the women who have drifted from Clinton during the past six weeks. The most recent polls suggest that Obama has caught up to Clinton and eliminated her advantage among women voters.

Many defected for reasons like Tilton's - they just don't trust her. Anne Seltzer, an Iowa pollster, argues that women expect more candour from candidates. "There are questions of manipulation and secrecy and that is a real problem for women, who tend to be appreciative of frankness," she said.

Some women admit it was painful to realise they may not vote for Clinton. "I used to say to people that whenever a woman runs for president - even if it's Elizabeth Dole [who ran for the Republican nomination in 2000] - I used to say I've got to do it," said Laurie Moore, who works in the education department at Iowa State University. "I'm thinking more carefully about it now ... Maybe it's Hillary, and maybe it isn't but I don't think that just because she is a woman automatically warrants my support."

Clinton started her campaign last January with a nearly two-to-one advantage in support from women. She performed especially well among lower-income women, those without a college education, and women in their 50s and up.

The campaign moved to exploit that advantage. There were Moms for Hillary and block parties for Club 44 - another women's group patronised by Geraldine Ferraro, the Democratic vice-presidential candidate in 1984, and Madeleine Albright, the former secretary of state. For Iowans, there was the website yougogirl.com offering advice to newcomers about the caucus system, and the now requisite house parties.

Clinton also had what was presumed to be an invincible political machine. She had strategists, pollsters and field organisers whom she had known since her husband's run for the White House in 1992. In terms of presidential politics, this campaign is the fifth generation.

But the Clinton machine was not built for Iowa, where the state's lead in the primary calendar has produced a breed of voter that expects and demands personal attention. Bill Clinton bypassed the state in 1992 because Iowa senator Tom Harkin was running and the southern governor figured he had no chance against a local. Some on his wife's staff thought she should skip Iowa as well.

Instead, Clinton figured her best strategy was to campaign almost as if she was already the Democratic nominee. She played it safe, sticking to carefully controlled situations. Although Clinton made several trips to Iowa over the summer - including the state fair in August that has become a ritual for candidates - the campaign offered few opportunities for Iowans to really get to know her.

Clinton was happy to pose for photographs flipping pork chops on a grill, but she was just not available to Iowans for conversations about her political beliefs, or what she might do as president. In her election meetings, Clinton typically took three questions from the floor; Edwards averaged closer to 10. Clinton went for weeks at a time without holding a single press conference; some candidates hold three or four a day.

The campaign also initially failed to calibrate their message to voters who pride themselves on making informed decisions. Eileen Willingham, a Spanish translator in Iowa City, was turned off Clinton when she attended a house party for women voters in October.

"I found it anti-intellectual, frankly," she said. "It was all about how Hillary is a real person. She has a belly laugh. She is a person of faith - things I didn't care about. I wanted to know about issues. They wanted to tell me what a fabulous human being she was."

Even so, the approach appeared to be working until the end of October, when Clinton made her first stumble in a campaign debate, hedging a question on immigration. In early December, a poll in the Des Moines Register gave Obama a slight lead in Iowa for the first time.

Obama's advantage - the poll gave him 28% to Clinton's 25 and Edwards's 23 - was statistically insignificant, being within the margin of error. But it was predictive. Clinton's double-digit lead in New Hampshire vanished, and Obama began to gain on her in the other early-voting state of South Carolina.

She has 12 days left to come back. If she does, in Iowa and New Hampshire, it will be because of her retuned political machine, and because of women such as Barbara Dennett, a mother of six and a schoolteacher from Newton, New Hampshire. "I just so believe in her for what she is doing for social concerns in this country," Dennett said. "I just want her to be a little more like me - in the peace movement. I want her to give us every reason to vote for her."

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 06:53:07 AM »
how that drug-dealing operation going for you?

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 11:12:36 PM »
mccain has conservative and liberal tendencies...good for independents.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 02:35:37 AM »
new hampshire...

but how do you like the invisible support of huckabee...democrat thwarter...and partisan uniting individual...

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 07:50:51 AM »
oh, so now you backing fourth candidate.

that one way hedge bets.