Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duke or Hasting  (Read 6013 times)

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
Re: Duke or Hasting
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 08:53:49 PM »
Hastings easily.
YLS c/o 2009

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 10:11:45 PM »
top 30% at Hastings means you may be unemployed, because most BigLaw won't look at you.  top 30% at Duke means you'll be able to pick any firm anywhere in the country.

laughable on both points.
YLS c/o 2009

daysofconfusion

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 10:21:37 PM »
Ok man...I'm sure hearing you're right will make you feel better. The fact remians that you're argument is flawed. Stating that there are more Hastings grads than Duke grads working as summer associates in the Bay Area proves nothing. You may be correct in stating that Hastings places better than Duke overall there, but your facts do not prove your point. Most Duke grads do not have the ultimate goal of practicing in SF, most Hastings grads do. Therefore, more Hastings grads are going to work in SF. That says nothing to the ability of Hastings to place in SF compared to Duke.

No my argument isnt flawed because Im not making an argument Im just stating facts. I listed the numbers of a few of the larger Bay Area firms.  All of them employ significant numbers of Hastings students in their Bay Area offices and few if any Duke grads in those same offices, and in fact employ fewer Duke grads overall.

This shows that 1) its not "nearly impossible for a Hastings grad to get a job in the bay area," in refutation of Barry's claim
            and 2) there are significantly more Hastings JDs working in those three firms than Duke JDs

Thats what it shows.  What you are talking about is placement rates which, as I acknowledged, we dont have any data on.

as an impartial observer of this thread....i think Credo is right.  You guys are just confused about what hes trying to say. 

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 10:37:03 PM »
I don't know what planet you're from, but that's an argument. And as J.D. said, a flawed one.

lol. In no way shape or form is his "argument" flawed. JD set up a straw man and attacked a point credo never made.

YLS c/o 2009

credo

• Sr. Citizen
  • This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 03:29:19 PM »
You're right. Beginning a statement with "You're a dumbshit" isn't taking any position on the issue. Yeah, no argument there.

As I said: Im just laying out the facts.

daysofconfusion

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2007, 11:59:33 PM »
why would you pick an average law school over a T14?  none of the advice that you guys are giving makes any sense.

everybody is different, and there are plenty of other factors to take into consideration besides prestige/job placement/"opening doors."

filet o' fish

• Sr. Citizen
  • yum.
    • View Profile
Goaliechica
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 01:31:07 AM »
Goaliechica
"Would you listen to me? Filet O' Fish."
"Filet a' Fish."

"No."

"I don't quite understand."

filet o' fish

• Sr. Citizen
  • yum.
    • View Profile
Goaliechica
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 01:32:32 AM »
Goaliechica
"Filet a' Fish."

"No."

filet o' fish

• Sr. Citizen
  • yum.
    • View Profile
Goaliechica
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 10:19:45 AM »
Goaliechica
"Filet a' Fish."

"No."

daysofconfusion

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 02:50:46 AM »
why would you pick an average law school over a T14?  none of the advice that you guys are giving makes any sense.

Hastings is hardly average.

i guess it comes down to what this fellow pbj thinks constitutes an "average" school. i'd like to hear his explanation if he has one, maybe he has a point.  I'd also like to see him acknowledge what I said earlier about there being other reasons to attend a school besides its ranking.

and one more question, how old are you PBJ?  just curious, you dont have to answer if you dont want to. just thought it might shed some light on your posts, no offense meant by that.