Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In desperate need of an advice (for canadian law school admission)  (Read 3039 times)

uwofresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
In desperate need of an advice (for canadian law school admission)
« on: September 29, 2004, 09:45:05 PM »
Hey guys, since I know I won't have a chance to get in to law school this yr (I'm scoring like 149 on my LSAT prep last time i took it...)
My plan right now is study my ass off, get as high of a mark as I can for my fourth year and then from next may to till end of september I plan to study my ass off for LSAT. I really hope this works, cause if it doesn't, i really don't know what my future's gonna hold for me.

I was wondering if someone could honestly tell me what I need for LSAT to get in to either UWO, York, Queens, ...or heck any law school in canada!

this is my Grade for 1-3 yrs.

first yr.
86% (full yr course), 86% (full yr course), 75% (full yr), 70(half yr), 75% (half yr), 83%(half), 80% (half)

second yr.
88% (full), 87%(full), 86% (full), 75%(full), 77%(half), 77%(half)

third yr.
92%(full), 92%(half), 90%(full), 84%(full), 84%(half), 73%(half), 84% (half)

UWO uses % avg so I have no idea what My current GPA is..could someone be nice enough to let me know what my GPA currently stands at?

As well, with these marks,(I'm projecting that I'll do approximately same as I did in third yr..maybe a bit less but not by much)

What LSAT mark would be enough for me to get in??

AS well can anyone somehow convert this to GPA?

Thanks guys~!

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: In desperate need of an advice (for canadian law school admission)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 09:55:53 PM »
first year average-GPA=3.5
second year average-GPA=3.63
third year average-GPA=3.73
 average ~3.6

those are approximate ...

your GPA is competitive at all three of those schools, but its not "amazing", so your LSAT will have to be competitive ...

I'd say your in at those schools if your LSAT was as follows:

Osgoode- >90%ile (I don't know what score that is??)
Queens- >162
UWO- >162

You would be "competitive" with anything over a 160 ...

I'm basing this on the following link:

http://www.campusaccess.com/campus_web/educ/e4grad_lacan.htm

Its from last year, so expect that when you apply the numbers will be higher

HTH

uwofresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 10:04:12 PM »
hmmmm I'm not sure How you got only 3.7 for my third yr...
half of my courses I had an A plus, and the rest were As...and one B.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 10:14:50 PM »
92=4
92=4
92=4
90=4
90=4
84=3.67
84=3.67
84=3.67
73=2.67
84=3.67

average=3.735

GPA again rewards consistancy.  That B- really hurt.  You could have done better just to get 85 in every class.  It sucks, but if you know the system, you can take advantage of it.

uwofresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 10:17:56 PM »
hmmm, do you know if queens, york and uwo use that GPA system to convert my average?

for UWO law, wouldn't they look at your average since like the regular UG uses the average system?

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 10:20:29 PM »
i'll add that your marks are good...but they aren't good enough to make up for a 149.  Anyways, they're not what you should be worrying about.  Study hard for the LSAT and get your score up to 160.  If you hang out on this board, read through the studying for the lsat group and do 30+ practice tests i'm sure you can get your score above 160.

the LSAT is a hard test, but I'm sure with those grades you can get your score up to a competitive level.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 10:22:39 PM »
hmmm, do you know if queens, york and uwo use that GPA system to convert my average?

for UWO law, wouldn't they look at your average since like the regular UG uses the average system?

I don't know.  both Osgoode and Queen's quote their medians in terms of GPA.  UWO uses and average.  Anyways, UWO's average is 80 ... and you're above that.  But like I said, just work on the LSAT.  Score 160+ on the LSAT and I'm sure you won't be as worried.

uwofresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 10:27:00 PM »
hey thanks cheeks, really appreciate you putting in the time to help me out.
Damn i wish scoring 160 was as easy as said.  I just feel like I can't get a firm grasp at the concept of it (especially reading comp..which made a female dog outa me)
I feel this way cause I haven't improved while studying the Kaplan method.
But I feel that I'm still young (20..going 21 soon) and that I should atleast give it one more summer before I give up.  I recently decided to study from next may through end of september to prepare for 2006 entrance.
A lot of ppl say that LSAT can't be really studied and that it's more of whether you get it or not..I seriously hope that's not true cause I really think that i'm one of those guys that doens't have the natural ability.

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 10:32:42 PM »
no, i strongly disagree.  The LSAT is a learned test.  I think anyone on this board will agree with me.

I started at a 153, and I scored a 167.  and the LSAT was very very hard for me.  I come from an engineering background have probably wrote about 2 essays my entire undergrad.  I was awful at Reading comp ... so I pretty much wrote it off.  I never missed a game question which helped ... so I focused on LR and basically studied endlessly.  On my actually I got about 4or5 LR questions wrong. 

I'm actually looking at that chart and thinking that my numbers are a little low for (Osgoode), a school that I just applied to today.  Plus I pretty much cared male private part all about my app and basically wrote two of the most half-asked essays ever.  muh ... damn ...

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 11:07:46 PM »
Osgoode uses a 4.33, so his GPA would be different for that school.
No longer here.