Law School Discussion

Anti-climactic? Anyone?

Anti-climactic? Anyone?
« on: December 14, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
Now that we're a bit into the process and lots of people have begun to receive one (or a handful of) acceptance(s), are you beginning to feel as though it's all a bit anti-climactic? Probably, it just hasn't sunken in yet, but I haven't really been able to cherish acceptances yet (*not* that I'm not grateful), and I doubt it will be possible until I'm all the way done with all decisions in hand.

On some level, I think the anticipation of waiting for my LSAT score (which, even with the assistance of an extensive post-mortem was a bit up in the air) was WAY greater than the wait for decisions (a few notable exceptions, of course)...having grids, LSN, etc seems to make it a bit easier to stomach the process, which, honestly, is almost just that - a process. Steps. Procedure.

Anybody else feel this way, even if you've been admitted into a decidedly fantastic school or two or ten?

Re: Anti-climactic? Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 10:04:51 PM »
Many of us haven't been accepted anywhere yet :(

/self-pity

the marauder

• You've gone to the finest school alright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 11:30:48 PM »
I think it really depends on your expectations.  If you have a 169 and a 3.6 and you get into Michigan, it was pretty much expected.  If you have a   174 and a 3.8 and get into Harvard, you kind of knew it was going to happen.  But, if you have a 165 and a 3.7 and some great soft factors and you get into Harvard, I'm sure its not anti-climactic at all.  Also, I don't know this first hand, but I assume a Yale acceptance is never anti-climactic.

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 11:37:28 PM »
Not to really argue with the overall point, but 174 3.8 is very borderline at Harvard.

Hard to make a more obnoxious thread though.

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 11:03:46 AM »
Dear Rabbit (and Roomate)((Yes, Really...))

I think it's actually extremely wise of you not to be as absolutely ecstatic as me over our mutual acceptances to Harvard. After all, there's only so long the excitement lasts before the dread of 1L year sets in...

Also, even if it's a bit anti-climatic for you, I'm definitely making up for it in terms of my excitement at your acceptance. In fact, I may secretly hope just a tiny bit that Yale makes the absurdly dumb decision not to snap you up immediately, so that you'll come to Boston with me.

Majmun

• Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 11:22:27 AM »
Not to really argue with the overall point, but 174 3.8 is very borderline at Harvard.

LSN begs to differ.  There's only one profile in the last three years that didn't get in with those numbers or better.

(*There is a second profile that says it was rejected with a ~4.0 177 URM Ivy grad that only applied to Harvard and says it was rejected but that's more than likely a flame.)

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 12:30:04 PM »
I've been accepted into two "target" schools. WIlliam & Mary was more exciting than Minnesota. I think my first reach acceptance will be very exciting and after that it will lose its pizaz.

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 12:59:32 PM »
i know what you mean about being anti-climactic.  i was way more excited to get the harvard call e-mail than the acceptance call, as weird as that sounds.  i think another reason why it's been anti-climactic is because it hasn't really sunk in for me yet.  when i visit schools, i know it'll be more real.

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 03:01:46 PM »
Easy for someone who's in at Harvard, NYU, GULC and Duke to say...

Fair enough. I recognize that I'm in a decidedly envious position. I'm not saying that I'm not totally grateful to have a number of amazing options at this point...I definitely am.

All I'm saying is that given the craziness that is the admissions process (for law, but I suppose it's similar for med, other grad or even UG these days), sometimes just getting the letter or email or phone call is just a bit underwhelming in the grand scheme of "what's next?" - scholarships, LS itself, eventual placements in journals, jobs, etc....all one big machine, no?