Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: REALLY weird e-mail from Florida Coastal  (Read 4189 times)

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: REALLY weird e-mail from Florida Coastal
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2007, 06:32:48 PM »
From a moral perspective, Tech does win the argument. Do no harm, right?

But Steve Jones' office spams email boxes, spams mailboxes, duplicitously fudges employment statistics and potential salaries, and offers conditional scholarships to people who he knows will lose them and be forced to pay full-price their second year in.

I do feel bad for Steve.

But I feel more bad for every single person who Steve's office tricks into taking a scholarship offer there. Predatory recruitment tactics are one of the worst parts of the law school admissions process, and Steve should understand that he's potentially ruining peoples lives.

MHLM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2007, 06:41:24 PM »
Incidentally guys, I decided to do some internet research on Mr. Jones...well TRY to do some research at least. Turns out, there ain't much. Take a look at this: http://www.fcsl.edu/pdfs/FCSL07Catalog.pdf (that's the PDF version, you can also view it in HTML by searching google). Anyway his bio is the only one listed under "Administration" that does not include his alma mater. I find that pretty strange.

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
UFBold... Funny email but I'd say don't send it... There's a time and place and I just personally don't think you'll get much benefit from it other than a few kudos on LSD.

I didn't. The SO wrote that. I just thought it was funny.
Vandy 1L... really?

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2007, 06:51:00 PM »
I think that email was lame. Hopefully nobody sends anything like that. Short and sweet is the way to go, if at all.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

Rabble Rabble

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2007, 07:15:14 PM »
TITCR....BoldAsLove you've got a keeper.
Whatev

1s2io72

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2007, 07:28:29 PM »
Just go to the bottom of the email and click on the "To unsubscribe, click here "

I did clicked that link and never had a second email; though I did consider sending an email thanking him for the offer.  That's pretty decent cash if you're running low or scared of debt. 

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2007, 02:41:49 AM »
UFBold... Funny email but I'd say don't send it... There's a time and place and I just personally don't think you'll get much benefit from it other than a few kudos on LSD.

I didn't. The SO wrote that. I just thought it was funny.

EDIT:  I just deleted my really long rant.  Outline:

-Steve is just a guy with a bad job.  It's the marketing scheme that's insulting and unethical (the latter when he puts our real GPA/LSAT numbers in the subject line of spam to us).

-UF's SO's bit was hilarious and incredibly underrated; it was brilliant, in fact.  I want to hang out with this guy someday.

-I reminded the folks in this thread that not everything should devolve into a sensitivity competition (I love LSD, but it does have a reputation for this tendency.  We're allowed to laugh and make fun.  Obviously nobody was really going to send the poor guy an e-mail).

That's it, really.  The long version was expansive, to say the least.

Well, you're his #s twin... maybe you will.  ;)
Vandy 1L... really?

Quis Custodiet

• Omar Khayyam
    • AOL Instant Messenger - blcenturion
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2007, 12:44:39 PM »
Thoughts:

Concur that UF's SO's letter was hilarious, but only after getting the Wedding Crashers ref.  Before that it was funny, but I didn't catch quite how awesome it was.

I don't think that Steve is out to ruin lives by tricking people to apply to a sub-par school.  Law is a very proud game, and I can't imagine someone working for a university--especially in a non-teaching position--that they thought was a waste of student time and money.   I'd still guess any job with a school has some decent salary/benefits, meaning that they can afford to at least weed out the blantant cynics.  I just think he's trying to build his school's base and increase its rep, which benefits all the students (and no doubt, he'll receive some form of compensation).  I think he's looking a tthe fact that what may be a statistical bad decision may not be an individual bad decision.

(ie. Someone with a 170/3.9 may have much better offers from schools besides FC, and so it's probably a bad idea for that person to go there.  But there may be that one individual who somehow gets unforeseen benefit from attending.  Doesn't make it a wise choice, but it's not the end of the world either.)

I think the biggest problem with this email campaign is it leaves a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.  And law is a relatively small field.  By recruiting via spam, Steve makes a lot of people think his school is a joke--even moreso than any future rankings it gets would indicate.  It's like Cooley with it's jingle and it's false rankings.  I could easily see a General Council looking to hire two lawyers, one from a no name Third Tier and one from FC.  If his first thought is "OMG, this guy went to the school of spam/lawyer riding a shark/free ipod, how can he be a worthwhile candidate?" then the other school's student wins, even if the schools are comparable.

This campaign hurts alumni of FC more than anyone else.
LSAT 176; GPA 3.96

The Winter Garment of Repentance fling (accept): Yale, Harvard, GULC, Duke
There was a door to which I found no key (denied):
Fools! your reward is neither Here nor There (Waitlisted):
Oh, come with old Khayyam and leave the wise (applied): Chicago, Michigan

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2007, 01:02:40 PM »
Cooley has a jingle?  :o

Quis Custodiet

• Omar Khayyam
    • AOL Instant Messenger - blcenturion
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2007, 01:15:46 PM »
http://www.cooley.edu/mediacenter/cooley.htm

You've got to sit through a video, but it's worth the pay off for a Cooley jingle...8)

Oh GAWD! I had to go through that THREE times until I was finally able to record the jingle. The first two times, my dad came in at the very end and asked me to help him with something. Each time!

This is going to be my new ring-tone. I'm also showing up to ASW next year with my Cooley-gear! Only, I hope it's not going to be at Cooley.

Also, I liked that one student's (ahem) boldly-unique name."Ebonee Avery". hehehe.

I feel I've been infected, somehow.
LSAT 176; GPA 3.96

The Winter Garment of Repentance fling (accept): Yale, Harvard, GULC, Duke
There was a door to which I found no key (denied):
Fools! your reward is neither Here nor There (Waitlisted):
Oh, come with old Khayyam and leave the wise (applied): Chicago, Michigan