Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Loyola Chicago Financial Aid  (Read 1274 times)

geelpiet42

• View Profile
    • LSN
Loyola Chicago Financial Aid
« on: December 14, 2007, 02:59:50 PM »
This question is for those who have been admitted to LUC...when you got the phone call, did they tell you what financial aid they were offering you right there on the phone or did that info come later in the mail?  The person on the phone congratulated me on admission but said nothing of financial aid...does that mean I got nothing? 

fsohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Loyola Chicago Financial Aid
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 03:05:58 PM »
The person on the voicemail message told me that I'd be receiving 17.5K a year in scholarship money, but nothing else with regards to loans, grants, etc.

ilsox7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 03:22:03 PM »
When I was admitted 3 years ago, scholarship money came in the mail after the phone call, with the admittance letter.  What are your numbers?

fsohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 03:22:45 PM »
3.5 GPA at time of app (closer to 3.6 now, damnit!) and 168.

ilsox7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 03:25:22 PM »

That sounds about right,  If OP is in the same ballpark, I am sure he/she will get similar money.  I think they also do more "competitive" scholarships in the spring, where you have to go in and interview.

Is the money still unconditional?  If not, they may make it so in the spring/summer.  Any chance you're going?

geelpiet42

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 03:30:48 PM »

That sounds about right,  If OP is in the same ballpark, I am sure he/she will get similar money.  I think they also do more "competitive" scholarships in the spring, where you have to go in and interview.

Is the money still unconditional?  If not, they may make it so in the spring/summer.  Any chance you're going?

I'm nowhere near the same ballpark in terms of numbers so I'm guessing that there will be no $$ in the offer.  I know that TFA alumni get a certain amount of scholarship $$ from the school but it is minimal. 

I really would like to go, but if I get into UW-Madison, I think that is where I'll end up, if only for money reasons (I am a resident and therefore it is exponentially cheaper than Loyola).  I loved my visit to LUC this summer, it felt like a great environment to learn in.

ilsox7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 03:34:05 PM »

I'm nowhere near the same ballpark in terms of numbers so I'm guessing that there will be no $$ in the offer.  I know that TFA alumni get a certain amount of scholarship $$ from the school but it is minimal. 

I really would like to go, but if I get into UW-Madison, I think that is where I'll end up, if only for money reasons (I am a resident and therefore it is exponentially cheaper than Loyola).  I loved my visit to LUC this summer, it felt like a great environment to learn in.

If it helps, I was 160/3.53 and got 25% tuition three years ago.

geelpiet42

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 03:40:26 PM »

If it helps, I was 160/3.53 and got 25% tuition three years ago.

Really?  If they are still using the same criteria, that puts me in contention for some money I guess.  I am 159/3.48 with some decent soft factors.  Are scholarships more about numbers than softies?

ilsox7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 03:51:34 PM »
Really?  If they are still using the same criteria, that puts me in contention for some money I guess.  I am 159/3.48 with some decent soft factors.  Are scholarships more about numbers than softies?

I'm really not sure.  The money Loyola gave me was less than DePaul (I think I got double the amount at DePaul).  I can't remember what Kent offered, but I do know they play the scholarship game big time and plenty of people lose their money.

I also have no idea what Loyola's numbers are now compared to when I applied.  I had some decent soft factors, so that probably played a role.

geelpiet42

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 03:59:19 PM »

I'm really not sure.  The money Loyola gave me was less than DePaul (I think I got double the amount at DePaul).  I can't remember what Kent offered, but I do know they play the scholarship game big time and plenty of people lose their money.

I also have no idea what Loyola's numbers are now compared to when I applied.  I had some decent soft factors, so that probably played a role.

Thanks for the info.  As long as we're talking about it, do you know any law students that live in Baumhart hall?  How much does it cost to live there?  It seems like an awfully nice place and its location can't be beat.