Law School Discussion

send fall grades?

Re: send fall grades?
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 09:27:29 AM »
JeNeSaisLaw, are you planning on sending anything to any particular schools, or just letting them receive the lsac updated transcript?

My gpa is going from a 3.23 (3.75) to a 3.32 (3.83), and I'm worried that some decisions might be made with the 3.23 before the updated transcript arrives. Not saying that .09 is going to make the difference for me at any school, but I'm a lot more comfortable with UT looking at the 3.32. Suggestions?

I haven't decided yet. I'm disappointed that LSAC is closed for so long (though I also think it's great that they give their workers so long off).

I want my grades in as soon as possible, but don't know if schools want unofficial transcripts, a simple email note/pdf scan/fax, or what. I need to figure that out. I'm hoping some people on the boards start making some calls/sending some emails. I think I might send some emails in the morning.

Any suggestions from anybody? What would be the best way to deal with this? Email, snail-mail, wait and let lsac run its course?

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 09:35:51 AM »
OOPS

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 09:53:08 AM »
The Truth,

I think you're a little confused about how LSAC calculates GPA's.

There's no way your GPA will go down if you have a 4.0 this semester. They don't average your four GPA's together, they calculate each grade of every class taken. The school GPA does not factor into your GPA Calculations because every school does grading differently. LSAC does their own type of scaling. Of course the Adcomms will be able to see the different schools and probably ascertain that your current university was tougher, and you can also throw an addendum in somewhere. 

For Example:

School A: 4 A's at 3 units:  48 points (4 classes x 4 points x 3 units)
School B: 4 B's at 3 unit's: 36
School C: x
School D: x
-add the numbers together and divide by how many units you have.
-Of course they calculate +/-'s as well (can be found on the LSAC web page). They probably are more professional or crazy but generally this is how it's done.

So in end, if you did well this semester don't hesitate to sending in a new transcript to all of your schools it can definitely increase your LSAC GPA tremendously.

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 09:57:47 AM »
I can admit I don't know how the LSAC GPA works. I was looking Academic Summary report, and it seemed to me that it was averaging the GPAs from the schools I went to. My current undergrad is Tulane.

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 10:05:33 AM »
Yea I know I didn't get a 4.0 most likely a 3.6.

rsr28

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007, 04:12:47 PM »
Yea I know I didn't get a 4.0 most likely a 3.6.

Anything above a 3.59 -- send in.  Anything below, don't (except for Duke where they asked for it... that is a very good sign, I think, by the way).

It probably looked like they were averaging the GPA's just by coincidence.  Really, what they do is a weighted average of your GPA's.  If all 4 schools happened to have the same amount of credits it would be a pure average.  But, even if they were just average them, anything that improves your current school's GPA would raise the average, too.  So if you had from your 4 schools: 4, 4, 4, 3 you would currently have a 3.25.  Then if you got a 3.5 this semester your LSAC would go up even though your current school would still be below the 3.25.

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 05:00:43 PM »
My grades this quarter (at U. Chicago) will be an A, an A-, and a Pass(P was in elective Economics course, not my major.) - Will it look good that I'm getting high grades still or will the P make everyone think I'm a gigantic slacker?

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 09:09:30 AM »
I understand now.

rsr28

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2007, 08:30:56 PM »
My grades this quarter (at U. Chicago) will be an A, an A-, and a Pass(P was in elective Economics course, not my major.) - Will it look good that I'm getting high grades still or will the P make everyone think I'm a gigantic slacker?

I got a 4.0 with a Pass and I'm sending them in.  Though, I wasn't going to send in if I got anything LESS than 4.0 (and the P).

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2007, 08:50:18 PM »
I sent in my updated transcripts last Thursday, does anybody know how long it is taking to get your GPA's updated right now?

Anyway, I receive a significant bump after this semester (2.96->3.05), so getting these grades updated and sent to the schools is very important.  I actually received an email yesterday from Tulane saying that my email had gone to committee, so I sent them an email last night telling them that I have sent in an updated transcript and telling them what my grades were this semester.

I am planning on waiting on the other schools I applied to and seeing if my transcripts get updatd by the end of the week and seeing what others are doing as far as telling the schools.