Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is law school really that much work?  (Read 2405 times)

jason_perrlx

• Sr. Citizen
  • Betrayed by Dot. Plotting revenge.
    • View Profile
Re: Is law school really that much work?
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 11:03:05 AM »
she was on a journal, spent the summer between 1 and 2Ls in SE Asia "working" for a local firm, the summer between 2 and 3 Ls in London "working" even harder for an int'l firm and got a job with said London firm afterwards.  If you want to slap her around, I'd be willing to PM you her address.

Hannibal

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love it when a plan comes together
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 12:23:23 PM »

"I wake up every morning in a bed that's too small, drive my daughter to a school that's too expensive, and then I go to work to a job for which I get paid too little. But on pretzel day? Well, I like pretzel day."
  :D

Haha I was just going to mention pretzel day. Stanley is my absolute favorite character even though he has such a small part and I can't really say why. I think I just want to buy him a pretzel every day.

C'mon!  I think we've got to go with Kevin when it comes to small-part characters.  Have you seen his band play?
Attending: Stanford
In: Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Chicago($$$), Berkeley, Michigan($$$$), Columbia($$$$), Penn($$$$), Virginia($$$$), Duke($$$$), Northwestern($$$$)

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 12:25:58 PM »
C'mon!  I think we've got to go with Kevin when it comes to small-part characters.  Have you seen his band play?

Depends...Are you referring to Scranticity, or Scrantanicty 2?  Because I would never associate myself with those treacherous bastards in Scrantanicity.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

KD03

• Sr. Citizen
  • ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 12:40:09 PM »
Kevin was great singing karaoke on the Christmas episode last night - that whole episode is just awesome. "I heard that Angela's party has double fudge brownies!...it also has ANGELA."

MCD

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 01:03:03 PM »
Law school is less work than I ever had during undergrad. Of course, I don't write 2 page briefs for every note case like some people. But serious, you read like 20 pages a night per class (which is usually like 20-50 a night total) and that is all you're responsible for until finals week.

However, law school is way more stress than undergrad because of the bell curve, the competition, and the fact that the final is 100% of your grade. Also, if you take leadership positions and stress out about sending out 1000 resumes for that 1l firm job, you have a little bit more work on your hand. Otherwise, law school is not that much work.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2007, 02:36:46 PM »
I think the toughest transition for me will be studying regularly.... rather than pulling all nighters before the exam.

Ironically the only 24hr/day library on campus is the law library... I've spend many nights writing papers until the sun rose and I HAD to leave or else have my car towed by UPD.

What law library are you talking about? Certainly not the Levin College of Law because our library closes at 11 PM. It opens late on weekends and closes early. It's closed on Game Days. They graciously extend the hours to 2 AM during finals. Not like it matters b/c you can talk loudly throughout the damn place and the few locations marked "quiet rooms" are punctuated by loud whispering. That place sucks.
Vanderbilt 2010

ilsox7

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2007, 03:18:12 PM »
I am bit worried about the law school workload. I do NO work in undergrad. The other night I watched an "Intervention" marathon on A&E in lieu of writing a paper. I wonder how much extreme procrastination I can get away with in LS. Probably not much....

It really depends on the person.  I have taught myself an entire course in about two days.  Not everyone can do that, or is willing to give it a try, but it works for me.