Law School Discussion

HOLY SHlT 6 more days

AkhilAmar

• Need lots of good karma!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: HOLY SHlT 8 more days
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2007, 10:14:39 AM »
hey Akhil - have you actually taken a class with Amar?  I got to take a class with him as an undergrad, and he was incredible.

No, I didn't and I'm very jealous of you because I've heard nothing but amazing things about the guy.

What course was it?

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2007, 10:15:15 AM »
Constitutional Law.

AkhilAmar

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2007, 10:21:25 AM »
Constitutional Law.

con law was my favorite course in college, and while i had a very good prof. he wasn't of an Akhil cabliber.

other than his obvious intelligence/knowledge, what made him a great prof. (out of curiosity  ;D)?

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2007, 10:24:40 AM »
Constitutional Law.
con law was my favorite course in college, and while i had a very good prof. he wasn't of an Akhil cabliber.

other than his obvious intelligence/knowledge, what made him a great prof. (out of curiosity  ;D)?

Well, TBH, the only reason I decided to take the class was that I sat in on the first lecture, and it was immediately apparent that he was both passionate and excited about the subject matter, and he had a way of explaining the material that made it seem more like Story Hour than dry case law.  The human aspects of both the cases and the various Supreme Court compositions really came through, and I found it inspiring to sit in the lecture.

That said, I made the mistake of taking the class during a semester when I was taking 6 courses (my previous average was 4.5), so I did not get to deveote as much attention to the material as I would have liked.

AkhilAmar

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2007, 10:28:30 AM »
Constitutional Law.

Well, TBH, the only reason I decided to take the class was that I sat in on the first lecture, and it was immediately apparent that he was both passionate and excited about the subject matter, and he had a way of explaining the material that made it seem more like Story Hour than dry case law.  The human aspects of both the cases and the various Supreme Court compositions really came through, and I found it inspiring to sit in the lecture.

That said, I made the mistake of taking the class during a semester when I was taking 6 courses (my previous average was 4.5), so I did not get to deveote as much attention to the material as I would have liked.

How fair was Akhil's grading? My prof. was cool but when it came time to grade all the friendly in-class schmoozing went out the window.

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2007, 10:51:33 AM »
How fair was Akhil's grading? My prof. was cool but when it came time to grade all the friendly in-class schmoozing went out the window.

Tough to tell, since most of the grading was done by the TAs.  I was grateful for my grade; even though it is the lowest grade I received in undergrad (relatively...it's not THAT low) the course material was so difficult that I was half-expecting something much lower.