Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Loyola, Southwestern, Cal Western opinions??  (Read 3113 times)

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
Re: Loyola, Southwestern, Cal Western opinions??
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 05:09:41 PM »
Here is what i have heard about Cal Western as compared to USD. You have better job prospects at the bottom of your class at USD than finishing top of your class at Cal Western. Also USD has a part time program that has lower medians so maybe look into that. I know a guy I work with here who went to Cal western and didnt pass the bar on two trys. Basically if you go to Cal Western and dont pass the bar you are screwed. The guy now just reviews contracts for our purchasing dept. Pick your poison.

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 03:25:59 AM »
Here is what i have heard about Cal Western as compared to USD. You have better job prospects at the bottom of your class at USD than finishing top of your class at Cal Western.

I sure hope you're right because I have no idea how I did on my finals.  ???
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 02:56:19 PM »
Here is what i have heard about Cal Western as compared to USD. You have better job prospects at the bottom of your class at USD than finishing top of your class at Cal Western.

I sure hope you're right because I have no idea how I did on my finals.  ???

Well that was told to my brother from a common friend of ours wife who just graduated from USD law last year

P. Pius

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 07:23:22 PM »
Why isn't Pepperdine an option?

Good point.  I had looked at Pepperdine before, but two things have kept me from considering them further at this point.  A)  Last I checked, the cost of tuition (somewhere around $38,000) was a little steep for me.  Granted, I might be able to get some scholarships, but I'm not sure if I could get any academic ones as my grades aren't extraordinary.  B)  From people who are familiar with the LA market that I've heard from, the job prospects out of Pepperdine don't seem to warrant paying the cost of tuition there.

Granted, the campus and area are absolutely incredible.  I don't think I have seen a better location for a law school than Pepperdine...

Edited:  I stand corrected, tuition is listed at around $33,000/yr.  Well, maybe Pepperdine is back in the running.
In like Flint (Accepted):  South Texas, St. Mary's
Out on a limb (Pending):  Arizona State, Southwestern, Oregon
Better luck next time (Denial): 

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=runnerxc8888

LetsDoThis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 07:32:22 PM »
Why isn't Pepperdine an option?

Good point.  I had looked at Pepperdine before, but two things have kept me from considering them further at this point.  A)  Last I checked, the cost of tuition (somewhere around $38,000) was a little steep for me.  Granted, I might be able to get some scholarships, but I'm not sure if I could get any academic ones as my grades aren't extraordinary.  B)  From people who are familiar with the LA market that I've heard from, the job prospects out of Pepperdine don't seem to warrant paying the cost of tuition there.

Granted, the campus and area are absolutely incredible.  I don't think I have seen a better location for a law school than Pepperdine...

Edited:  I stand corrected, tuition is listed at around $33,000/yr.  Well, maybe Pepperdine is back in the running.

Cool! Prepare your 'Response to Mission Statement' and you'll be all set!  Good luck!

P. Pius

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 07:49:33 PM »
So let me ask this:  Where would Pepperdine rank among the three already listed?  Putting aside whether or not I want to attend a school with a good entertaiment law program...how would the four schools rank??
In like Flint (Accepted):  South Texas, St. Mary's
Out on a limb (Pending):  Arizona State, Southwestern, Oregon
Better luck next time (Denial): 

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=runnerxc8888

Davis1L

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 06:04:53 AM »
Loyola > Pepperdine > Southwestern > Cal Western

Though if USD were in the mix, I'd go:

Loyola/USD (very preferential with these schools) > Pepperdine > Southwestern > Cal Western

Those are just my 2 cents.  While I was applying, I had a slight bias for USD over Loyola.  It seems to have a very good grip on the market where it's located whereas Loyola has to compete with UCLA/USC (and every other good law school grad that wants in at LA).  For Pepperdine, no one really had anything good to say about the school (occupational as well as the school itself) aside from the fact that the area is beautiful.  Truth be told, I avoided Southwestern and Cal Western because, and this could very well be hearsay, because I had been continually told that job options coming out of either school were subpar at best, especially out of Cal Western =\

Whatever the case, good luck with your cycle!

PS!  Oh yeah, I also didn't apply to Pepperdine because of their stupid mission statement thing lol

LetsDoThis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 02:41:06 PM »

Loyola/USD (very preferential with these schools) > Pepperdine > Southwestern > Cal Western

Those are just my 2 cents.  While I was applying, I had a slight bias for USD over Loyola.  It seems to have a very good grip on the market where it's located whereas Loyola has to compete with UCLA/USC (and every other good law school grad that wants in at LA).  For Pepperdine, no one really had anything good to say about the school (occupational as well as the school itself) aside from the fact that the area is beautiful.  Truth be told, I avoided Southwestern and Cal Western because, and this could very well be hearsay, because I had been continually told that job options coming out of either school were subpar at best, especially out of Cal Western =\

PS!  Oh yeah, I also didn't apply to Pepperdine because of their stupid mission statement thing lol

I hope a lot of people have the same view about the mission statement so my chances will be better  ;D

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2007, 08:18:40 AM »

I hope a lot of people have the same view about the mission statement so my chances will be better  ;D

I didn't apply to Pepperdine for the same reason. They basically try to weed out all those people that aren't Christian. So it didn't seem like it was the right place for me since I'm Jewish. USD is also religious but it's different from Pepperdine because USD doesn't force their religious views on you. I'm sure that's more than can be said for Pepperdine.
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 08:56:46 PM »
Say you just don't have the money, either because you're unemployed or underemployed. What exactly happens?

Author: Loss Leader
Time: December 19, 2007 - 6:59 am

First try to work with your lender. Ask for a forbearance or anything they will offer to avoid putting you in default. If you end up in default, that will trigger the default interest rate (like 25 to 30%) and you will be buried in debt that you will never be able to escape. This will also screw your credit, making it impossible for you to finance a home or car at a reasonable interest rate, if at all. How will they collect if you still refuse to pay? They will garnish your wages. There's a cap on how much they can take, but I don't remember what it is off hand.

Author: NYCEsq.
Time: December 19, 2007 - 7:31 am

It's not as much as you might think (the garnishment). It's bad, don't get me wrong, but it's not 75+% or anything close to that. Furthermore, obviously they would have to go to Court to get the garnishment. At that time you can beg the Court for mercy and throw around the mitigating factors (no jobs). The Judge (the typical state court judge knows how bad the legal job market is for lawyers) will likely keep a tight leash on the lender.

But remember, this is AFTER they have 100% completely destroyed your credit. Destroyed as in knock HUNDREDS of points off your FICO score - meaning cars, homes and anything else w/ credit will be off limits to you for well over a decade, if not for life.

Author: Blee
Time: December 19, 2007 - 7:37 am

No sarcasm here at all, if you have to work at Starbucks, sell blood or pimp your body, do it to avoid letting your loans go into default.

If you have not exhausted deferrments and the like, apply for them and any other things you can get to put off your loans as long as you can.

As the above posters stated, the actual collections efforts and garnishments are not that bad (I speak from experience) but the @#!* job they do on your credit is breathtaking. Also, there is no statute of limitations on student loan debt, nor do student loans fall off from bankruptcy.

The one good thing, is that you can climb out of default (and actually have it removed from your credit rating) by making a years worth of automatically debited payments. If payment 12 is one day late though, you have to start over.