Law School Discussion

Details of Boalt's Admissions Process

Re: Details of Boalt's Admissions Process
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 06:47:51 PM »
This is somewhat rude, and I don't take my acceptance very lightly, but can I ask why you delightful people want Boalt as much as you do?

I'm looking for good reasons to look in its direction (I mean, besides the weather and reputation).  You seem like you might have such reasons

Says Wallace who has been accepted to AT LEAST 1 school.

some of us are still pending, na mean wally?

BLAHH, your numbers are great.  Even if you aren't admitted to a T14 school, you will almost certainly have your pick of such programs as Vandy, Texas, and Iowa (one of the best schools in the nation).

Go HAWKS!!!

Wallace, this is not comforting.  I applied to 1/3 of those schools.

If you don't get into Texas or Vandy, I will eat your LSDAS report once you print it out.

Is that conditional satisfying?

Repeat: I applied to 1/3 of said schools.  So when I don't get into TX because I didn't apply, I will take you up on your offer.

Wheres you LSN??

paranoia.

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 06:48:46 PM »
trump my man, when are we hearing cornell?!

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 06:51:15 PM »
I also got the email today telling me my app will be held over for "faculty review." I'm an undergrad at Cal and happen to know a Boalt student (GSI for one of my classes) who is going to be a student advisor on the committee in January. She gave me some insight into what the faculty review process is about, so I'd thought I share...

As with other schools, there are many applications that are decided on numbers alone (these are presumptive admits/rejections). All other apps go into the "maybe" pile, which is then distributed among the committee in groups of 80.

I have not heard back from Boalt yet, and have not received this email. Does this mean my app is likely to be in the reject pile?  :( :(  Anyone else whose app is still pending NOT get this email?

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 07:18:00 PM »
I also got the email today telling me my app will be held over for "faculty review." I'm an undergrad at Cal and happen to know a Boalt student (GSI for one of my classes) who is going to be a student advisor on the committee in January. She gave me some insight into what the faculty review process is about, so I'd thought I share...

As with other schools, there are many applications that are decided on numbers alone (these are presumptive admits/rejections). All other apps go into the "maybe" pile, which is then distributed among the committee in groups of 80.

I have not heard back from Boalt yet, and have not received this email. Does this mean my app is likely to be in the reject pile?  :( :(  Anyone else whose app is still pending NOT get this email?

I'm in the same boat.  I'm not feeling too good about my chances right now.  It seems as though my best shot at a T14 school may be going down the drain.   :'(

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 07:36:01 PM »
Those numbers are pretty consistent with what I was told, which is about 1/8 are accepted after faculty review.

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2007, 09:08:58 PM »
Wallace: Other than the ranking/reputation and the weather, there's the fact (if debt is important to you) that it is the cheapest T14 school with tuition around 37,000 for the first year and around 25,000 for years 2 & 3. Cali lets you get residency after 1 year, which none of the other public T14 (Michigan, Virginia, Penn) let you do. I mean, this probably won't be reason to choose it over Harvard or Stanford, but it might be reason to choose it over Michigan or Georgetown.

And the weather. Don't dismiss it. It is VERY important. I have just spend the last three years of my life in small-town northern Ohio. I cannot wait for some sunshine.

I absolutely love that you included Penn in your list of state schools.

Did you just do it for the lulz?

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2007, 10:01:07 PM »
Meep!  :D  And I'm sure plenty of others.  I don't think we can figure anything from it-- obviously they have a lot more applicants to defer, a lot more to reject, and a lot more to accept (according to the assistant admissions dean there last week, they've made about 200 offers so far this cycle-- out of the 550ish usually made without sending to committee).  Not holding my breath, but not losing hope.

Whew! Thanks for the restored hope!

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 11:15:19 PM »
I cannot wait for some sunshine.

Yeah that's the Southern part of California.  Berkeley has great weather: doesn't snow, doesn't rain, and doesn't get too hot -- but sunshine's not exactly one of its virtues.

ghil04

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2007, 01:51:04 AM »
I know Wallace thinks otherwise, but if your intention is to work for a top firm and earn a comfortable 130-140k at 60-80 hours a week, it really doesn't matter where you go in the T14.  From what I understand, Boalt will provide you just as many opportunities as a Michigan, NYU, Penn, Georgetown, etc. 

The real factors to consider should be location, weather (this was mentioned), money (ditto), academic rigor, etc. 

With that said, I think a great many of you (joyce in particular) still have an excellent shot at getting into Boalt.  Keep in mind that 'faculty review' doesn't mean you have a 1/8th chance of getting in.  If you have good soft factors and above average #'s (which the vast majority of people on this board seem to have), I think your odds stand considerably better than 16%. 

Good luck to you all!