Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: F's in lsac gpa=totally screwed?  (Read 2730 times)

Chessiesmile

• View Profile
F's in lsac gpa=totally screwed?
« on: December 12, 2007, 06:24:32 PM »
So I just got done factoring some old transcripts into my lsac gpa, and my numbers went from a 3.97 to a 2.92.  This is mostly due to 3 F's I recieved 5 years ago (long story, but I completely flaked out during my first stab at college...went back fall of last year and have had all A's ever since).

I'm pretty much numb right now, coming to the realization that attending a T14 seems all but impossible.  Is this indeed the case?  It's just a sh**y situation...I f-ed up in school a long time ago, but have worked my ass off to turn things around...I'm hoping it's not all in vain.

Thanks for any input.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: F's in lsac gpa=totally screwed?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 06:31:06 PM »
So I just got done factoring some old transcripts into my lsac gpa, and my numbers went from a 3.97 to a 2.92.  This is mostly due to 3 F's I recieved 5 years ago (long story, but I completely flaked out during my first stab at college...went back fall of last year and have had all A's ever since).

I'm pretty much numb right now, coming to the realization that attending a T14 seems all but impossible.  Is this indeed the case?  It's just a sh**y situation...I f-ed up in school a long time ago, but have worked my ass off to turn things around...I'm hoping it's not all in vain.

Thanks for any input.
You aren't totally screwed. If your second stab at college was indeed all a's that shows a lot of maturity. Adcomms like growth.

QueenoftheCourt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 06:33:34 PM »
I don't think you're completely screwed. As for the dramatic GPA drop, write an addendum explaining your situation. With such a dramatic upward grade trend and the time elapsed between your As and Fs, adcomms might be willing to give you some leeway.

Law school admissions are very much a numbers game, however, so you really need to get a strong LSAT score to offset your GPA. If you get a very strong LSAT score (165+), then you will have a great shot at some top 25 schools; with a 170+, you could go to a T14 school. There are quite a few "splitters" on lawschoolnumbers.com and this board who have gotten into some great schools this year.

I hope that helps! 
Harvard Law 2011!

(Formerly known as CalGirl86)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=calgal86

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 06:42:07 PM »
Your situation sucks but if I had a 2.9 GPA, I'd want one like yours.

1. Get a good LSAT score (168+... Even with a 4.0, a high LSAT is necessary to get into a T14 or T25).
2. Cast a wide net (apply to as many T25s as you can, prioritizing schools that are not in the top 5).
3. Write a good GPA addendum.
4. Get your applications in as soon as possible.
5. Send an extra LOR (and tell your recommenders about your first year and ask if they can address it at all... one professor of mine said that I was like a "bright spot" in the classroom, she had no idea why I under-performed, and that she thought I was just a late-bloomer).
_______
.|E|R|S.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 06:55:30 PM »
Are you sure about your calculation? I don't see how 3 Fs could drop you more than .3. To drop you a full point it would require lots of passes (i.e. credits with no value) or somehow graduating with 12 classes or something.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 07:09:23 PM »
I had one F freshman year because I missed a final, dropped me from 3.45 to a 3.37.  My college calculated GPA just like LSAC does tho, so their the same.  But to drop that much must mean that  aside from the Fs you had other bad credit hours...

Chessiesmile

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 07:26:53 PM »
Yeah, I had some other poor grades too...One D, two C's, two B's and a B- to be exact.  (Aside from the 3 F's)  I arrived at the 2.92 by plugging everything into an lsac calculator I found on google.

Thanks for the advice though guys.  Hopefully things will work out, although I can't help but worry considering how much of a numbers game ls admissions are...I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

And to think those F's could have been avoided had just bothered to drop the classes...unbelievable...

Hannibal

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love it when a plan comes together
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 07:56:12 PM »
My friend was in an identical situation: Freshman year of D's, F's, and a lot of screwing around followed by nearly straight A's starting eight years later.  It didn't work out for him the way I thought it would.  He had a 166 LSAT, and didn't get in to any of the T1's he applied to, and was even dinged by a couple T2's.

I think you can throw all the upward trending out the window.  If you are a white male, then all they will see is the sub 3.0 GPA.  If you are below the medians, then accepting you does nothing but hurt the school in the rankings.  You have to bring something special (URM, amazing softs) to the table in order to offset the numerical hit you are asking the school to take by admitting you.
Attending: Stanford
In: Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Chicago($$$), Berkeley, Michigan($$$$), Columbia($$$$), Penn($$$$), Virginia($$$$), Duke($$$$), Northwestern($$$$)

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 07:58:32 PM »
My friend was in an identical situation: Freshman year of D's, F's, and a lot of screwing around followed by nearly straight A's starting eight years later.  It didn't work out for him the way I thought it would.  He had a 166 LSAT, and didn't get in to any of the T1's he applied to, and was even dinged by a couple T2's.

I think you can throw all the upward trending out the window.  If you are a white male, then all they will see is the sub 3.0 GPA.  If you are below the medians, then accepting you does nothing but hurt the school in the rankings.  You have to bring something special (URM, amazing softs) to the table in order to offset the numerical hit you are asking the school to take by admitting you.

A 2.9 with a 166 or better was good enough for a couple of Tulane students.  Some in this range were dinged though...

Chessiesmile

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 01:34:19 AM »
Crazy how when I woke up this morning I thought I had a 3.97...  I realize maybe all is not lost, but I'm not sure how I feel about banking everything on the off chance that I get lucky.  As Hannibal mentioned, admitting someone below the median is hurting the school's rank, and an adcom would have to feel pretty compelled to do this (while at the same time denying someone who does have the stats to get in).  This just changes everything, as I've never even considered a sub-T14 school.  Anyone think I'd still have a fair shot at Virginia applying ED and being a legacy?  What if I was in state?  (Probably not, but I'll still throw it out there.)

For what it's worth, mathematically it's possible to pull things up to a 3.3-3.4 by the time I graduate, but even that's well below the median at any T14.  (I think)  I'm also a little apprehensive about majoring in philosophy if law school's not in the cards...I'm def. not planning on teaching philosophy.

Oh well, I'm done w/ this for today.  Thanks for all the help though guys.