Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: would you pay $700 an hour, 3 times a week, till your lsat date... for a 180?  (Read 3751 times)

kits44

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
is it really foolish though, if you think of it in relative terms? even if she does take up this seemingly outlandish proposition, i'll still argue that she is not a fool.  for one thing, we've talked about it and it's clear to me that she's aware that this isn't going to guarantee a 180, and frankly, she doesn't care.  her family has more than enough money to dispense this requested amount without second thought - and the 2 hours she is planning to spend with him a week is very little (she's not doing 3) compared to the total amount she is already putting in right now, which is how i've come to understand the way she sees her situation. it might sound odd, but the best way to explain the way she sees it is the way someone else might see a 1 or 2 hour weekly lesson that's $40 an hour from a tutor who claims can help his/her students obtain a vast improvement in their score. 

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
is it really foolish though, if you think of it in relative terms? even if she does take up this seemingly outlandish proposition, i'll still argue that she is not a fool.  for one thing, we've talked about it and it's clear to me that she's aware that this isn't going to guarantee a 180, and frankly, she doesn't care.  her family has more than enough money to dispense this requested amount without second thought - and the 2 hours she is planning to spend with him a week is very little (she's not doing 3) compared to the total amount she is already putting in right now, which is how i've come to understand the way she sees her situation. it might sound odd, but the best way to explain the way she sees it is the way someone else might see a 1 or 2 hour weekly lesson that's $40 an hour from a tutor who claims can help his/her students obtain a vast improvement in their score. 
Let us know if she gets a 180.

If she does, I will consider moving there, studying with this jedi master, and going through another cycle.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
Let us know if she gets a 180.

If she does, I will consider moving there, studying with this jedi master, and going through another cycle.

Same here.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Sounds like a scam. No one can gurantee a 180.

halftheloop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Sounds like a scam. No one can gurantee a 180.

i think that's been established here.

anyway, unless this guy does more harm than good in teaching this chick, she really doesn't have anything to lose if her family doesn't care about the money and if it's just a small amount of time in her schedule.  if she does care about the money (although it sounds like she doesn't), it would probably only add a little bit of good pressure that she HAS to get as close to a 180 as possible since her money's all sitting on it - that's the way i would feel, at least. and if i ended up getting a 175-179, i definitely wouldn't be pissed about NOT getting a 180 at that point.  anyway, if she takes up the offer, do tell your cousin to come back here and tell us what the hell the tutor's secret is if she does get a big jump in her score...  ;)

hort stu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What geographic area is this tutor in?  I'd like to interview them and see what their experience is as well as what guarantees they would give me after we discuss my past LSAT experience and official score. 

Also I'm looking to interview any and all tutors in the NYC/n. NJ area for help on specific aspects of the lsat getting ready for february retake.  Please PM me your recomendation and/or your pitch/price.

Thanks

kits44

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
ok, maybe i should have phrased my OP better. i never said it was some universal money-back guarantee.  the dude has worked with her before on several standardized tests, and is very familiar with her intellectual capabilities and work ethics.  for what it's worth, she aced the SATs (back when it was 1600) - but aside from that, she also got a 163 on her diagnostic and seems to be making great progress so far, so it isn't that inconceivable that she has a shot at scoring in the 99%tile and even a 180 on a *very* lucky day whether or not it's with his help.  anyway, i just want to clear up any misconceptions for those of you who are now on the prowl for an LSAT tutor - i do not believe there is ANYONE who could GUARANTEE you a 180 or any other score for that matter (unless a 120+), so i wouldn't base your tutor search on who can "guarantee" a certain score for you.