Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: would you pay $700 an hour, 3 times a week, till your lsat date... for a 180?  (Read 3771 times)

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
what if the tutor was really hot, and perhaps like a prostitute or something?  Assuming we are in Nevada, or the Netherlands..
Wow. I would have def. done better if this was like my tutor...

UMDMike

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Jesus thanks for the definition gymnast... next time I have a "pay for sex" related question it is you I will turn to.
University of Minnesota Law Class of 2011

devingymnast

• View Profile
    • Email
^^^ Haha. Touche.   :P

hort stu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Maybe someones suggested this already but I'd tell the tutor that I will open an escrow account via a lawyer... or it's equivilant, and when he satisfies his obligations, the 180 all the money will be transfered to him.  Until then he can have 30$ an hour for his time.

If he's so sure of himself he wont have a problem with that.  Maybe even come up with a contract that gives him a percentage of the total based on your score...

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
I don't charge enough.  :(

philneuro

• View Profile
my cousin is actually considering a tutor who claims he can bring her up to a 180 for the february LSAT.  she's already been studying and is in the 160s so i think it's especially ridiculous in her case... but THAT is the rate he is charging her.  $700 an hour, a minimum 3 hour time slot once a week, up till 2/2.  you do the math.  (i don't want to even KNOW what that comes out to....) we all say we'd pay loads of money for a 180... but would you actually?  although if it were pocket change for me i'd probably say otherwise, but i just can't imagine handing that much money over per hour!!!  and yes, this guy actually gets a good number of clients each year, more than 2 months in advance of their lsat date!!

kits44, is this tutor for you are your cousin?

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
that's what i don't understand. i asked her if it's money-back, and it's not!!  so what happens if she DOESNT get a 180....

"I will get you a 180 if you pay for 3 hours of tutoring per week up until the LSAT"

::checks notes::

Looks like consideration to me.

I wonder what expectancy damages on a 180 would be...

::predicts usage of reliance as a measure of expectancy::

Too uncertain! But arguably forseeable?
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
that's what i don't understand. i asked her if it's money-back, and it's not!!  so what happens if she DOESNT get a 180....

"I will get you a 180 if you pay for 3 hours of tutoring per week up until the LSAT"

Foreseeable about the people that will see 180 and jump at it or foreseeable about what will happen when the actual scores come out?

Forseeable that the expectation damages would be caused by the breach.

Damages caused by not getting the 180 (not getting into X law school, not getting X job) are arguably forseeable by the breacher (tutor who guaranteed 180, but failed to deliver). However, forseeability would limit damages for things like "I didn't get a 180, so X won't marry me, and I should be compensated for my expectation that if I did, they would." Because unless the special circumstances were communicated, something like that is probably not forseeable by the breacher.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile

Foreseeable about the people that will see 180 and jump at it or foreseeable about what will happen when the actual scores come out?

Forseeable that the expectation damages would be caused by the breach.

Damages caused by not getting the 180 (not getting into X law school, not getting X job) are arguably forseeable by the breacher (tutor who guaranteed 180, but failed to deliver). However, forseeability would limit damages for things like "I didn't get a 180, so X won't marry me, and I should be compensated for my expectation that if I did, they would." Because unless the special circumstances were communicated, something like that is probably not forseeable by the breacher.

Those expectation damages can very well just be, say, expectations.  And lets just throw in the term reasonable.  It is always a winner to use.  Is it reasonable to rely on a promise that someone will get you a 180? 

Case closed.

I think my answer is better.

They can be whatever someone expects. "Just expectations," as you put it. Limited by causation, certainty, forseeability, and mitigation. And/or reasonableness, if you like.

kits44

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
my cousin is actually considering a tutor who claims he can bring her up to a 180 for the february LSAT.  she's already been studying and is in the 160s so i think it's especially ridiculous in her case... but THAT is the rate he is charging her.  $700 an hour, a minimum 3 hour time slot once a week, up till 2/2.  you do the math.  (i don't want to even KNOW what that comes out to....) we all say we'd pay loads of money for a 180... but would you actually?  although if it were pocket change for me i'd probably say otherwise, but i just can't imagine handing that much money over per hour!!!  and yes, this guy actually gets a good number of clients each year, more than 2 months in advance of their lsat date!!

kits44, is this tutor for you are your cousin?

my cousin - i already took the lsat.  just waiting... ahhhh!