Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: would you pay $700 an hour, 3 times a week, till your lsat date... for a 180?  (Read 3709 times)

bruins5261

• View Profile
ok i did the math (although i was a humanities major so who knows if it's right...)

.... around $17,000????!!!  i would do a lot of things for a 180: eat a stick of butter, lose a few choice fingers, etc.  but that's a whole heck of a lot of cold hard cash that could go to a better purpose (oh, say, actually paying for said law school after getting the 180).

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
ok i did the math (although i was a humanities major so who knows if it's right...)

.... around $17,000????!!!  i would do a lot of things for a 180: eat a stick of butter, lose a few choice fingers, etc.  but that's a whole heck of a lot of cold hard cash that could go to a better purpose (oh, say, actually paying for said law school after getting the 180).
I would gladly drop 20k to get a 180 on the LSAT. The problem is that this is a scam.

bruins5261

• View Profile
clearly.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
17K for a guaranteed 180? Yes.

17K for some kid that says I can get a 180? Hell NO!
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

devingymnast

• View Profile
    • Email
17k for a 180? H*ll no. Guaranteed or otherwise. First, 17k is my household income and I couldn't imagine dropping all of that on a number (then again, I'm in the 170s, so I don't have the same reason for wanting to get a 180 so badly). Second, a 180 doesn't mean squat if you get it through dropping a ridiculous amount of money on it to guarantee it, unless it's the result of actual work (i.e. guarantee vs. studying and earning).

Gunarm4

• View Profile
I don't think that 700/hr is that ridiculous...I've seen professional tutors upwards of 1,000/hr and the truth is that if you / your family can afford something like this it's definitely worth it...Of course he isn't guaranteeing a 180 for anybody, if he/she is teaching the lsat, he/she surely knows that is quite a legal promise that isn't such a good business practice

I had an SAT tutor that was, lets just say, high, because my parents forced me to and it really did help a lot and pushed me into the 1500+ range.  I did not get an tutor for the LSAT but just did a TM class and did not find it very helpful at all.  Beyond just a simple foundation, I feel that only a tutor would truly have raised my score into the 175+ range....This is kind of a lot of rambling but basically a) it is not really that much and b) worth it if you can reasonably afford it

traydeuce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I wouldn't spend a dime on a tutor. Not that I wouldn't really like to get a 180 but I figure I already have a good chance of doing so.

That said, taking the case of this girl who's in the 160s and plans to buy her way to a 180, what if she gets into Harvard Law but really isn't smart enough to even be there? Won't she just screw up in law school, or on the bar exam, or get her job at a top firm and get exposed once she gets there? I really don't see the point. Like I said before, I don't know why anyone would want to go to a great school if they're not actually bright enough to hang with the other students.

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
I wouldn't spend a dime on a tutor. Not that I wouldn't really like to get a 180 but I figure I already have a good chance of doing so.

That said, taking the case of this girl who's in the 160s and plans to buy her way to a 180, what if she gets into Harvard Law but really isn't smart enough to even be there? Won't she just screw up in law school, or on the bar exam, or get her job at a top firm and get exposed once she gets there? I really don't see the point. Like I said before, I don't know why anyone would want to go to a great school if they're not actually bright enough to hang with the other students.
This assumes that the LSAT is 100% predictive of law school success. Further, it assumes that the LSAT is predictive of career potential. It's not.

If you go to HLS with a 180, and graduate at the bottom of your class, you are still head and shoulders more marketable than you would be graduating from any other school you could get with a 160.

UMDMike

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
what if the tutor was really hot, and perhaps like a prostitute or something?  Assuming we are in Nevada, or the Netherlands..
University of Minnesota Law Class of 2011

devingymnast

• View Profile
    • Email
^^^

Oh

my

God.

P.S. Not that I should take the time to write this, but that'd be a call-girl's cost, not a prositute's (if you consider that, even though call-girls could fall under the abstract term prostitute qua a woman who sells herself for sex, prostitute generally refers to the "less refined street women"). And I should mention, a fairly expensive call-girl.