Law School Discussion

LSAT & IQ/ James Watson (DNA Laureate) Reported to have black Genes

http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_tech/article3239366.ece#2007-12-10T00:00:01-00:00

Revealed: scientist who sparked racism row has black genes
By Robert Verkaik
Published: 10 December 2007
A Nobel Prize-winning scientist who provoked a public outcry by claiming black Africans were less intelligent than whites has a DNA profile with up to 16 times more genes of black origin than the average white European.
A Nobel Prize-winning scientist who provoked a public outcry by claiming black Africans were less intelligent than whites has a DNA profile with up to 16 times more genes of black origin than the average white European.
An analysis of the genome of James Watson showed that 16 per cent of his genes were likely to have come from a black ancestor of African descent. By contrast, most people of European descent would have no more than 1 per cent.
"This level is what you would expect in someone who had a great-grandparent who was African," said Kari Stefansson of deCODE Genetics, whose company carried out the analysis. "It was very surprising to get this result for Jim."
The findings were made available after Dr Watson became only the second person to publish his fully sequenced genome online earlier this year. Dr Watson was forced to resign his post as head of a research laboratory in New York shortly after triggering an international furore by questioning the comparative intelligence of Africans. In an interview during his recent British book tour, the American scientist said he was "inherently gloomy about the prospects for Africa" because "all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours whereas all the testing says not really".
The Science Museum in London cancelled a lecture by him, while the Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, branded his comments "racist propaganda".
Other scientists working in the field of molecular biology quickly distanced themselves from the comments, saying that it was not possible to draw such conclusions from the work that had been done on DNA.
The study of the DNA of Dr Watson who shared the 1962 Nobel Prize for medicine adds another twist to the controversy surrounding the American scientist's comments.
In addition to the 16 per cent of his genes which were identified as likely to have come from a black ancestor of African descent, a further 9 per cent were likely to have come from an ancestor of Asian descent, the test indicated.

Reference to Watson:
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=LATBKS.story&STORY=/www/story/12-03-2007/0004715134&EDATE=MON+Dec+03+2007,+07:50+AM

Re: LSAT & IQ/ James Watson (DNA Laureate) Reported to have black Genes
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 05:10:53 AM »

James Watson's Personal Genome Sequence

http://biosingularity.wordpress.com/2007/06/02/nobel-laureate-james-watson-receives-his-personal-genome-sequence/

Is this black genes 'revelation' to be believed? If this is true, consequences?

jason_perrlx

• Betrayed by Dot. Plotting revenge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 07:14:08 AM »
dude's obviously got a lot of soul

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:JamesDWatson.jpg

jason_perrlx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 08:03:59 AM »
I like to think of myself as the genius behind some of the least relevant threads in LSN history, but this one beats the crap out of anything I've ever accomplished.  I love how you threw "LSAT & IQ" in the title.  Nice touch.

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 08:23:03 AM »
I like to think of myself as the genius behind some of the least relevant threads in LSN history, but this one beats the crap out of anything I've ever accomplished.  I love how you threw "LSAT & IQ" in the title.  Nice touch.

It's relevant. DNA testing is the new route to URM status. How many LSDers have longed for the boost! You still rock, Jason.

NYT "In October, The Times of London quoted Watson as saying that he was "inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa" because "all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours -- whereas all the testing says not really." "A publicist for Watson, Fraser Seitel, said his client had no comment."

Watson's LSAT score? Any wagers?

jason_perrlx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 08:42:23 AM »
165.  he'd nail the logic games, but probably get smoked on the reading comp 'cause he's used to reading scientific texts slowly and painstakingly for detail.

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 09:41:22 AM »
165.  he'd nail the logic games, but probably get smoked on the reading comp 'cause he's used to reading scientific texts slowly and painstakingly for detail.

Are you saying that James Watson would need his soft factors to avoid a ding at Yale, Harvard, Stanford? He's smart enough to be a science Nobel Laureate, but not smart enough to go to a T3?

Einstein had a problem with a university engineering entrance exam. He failed. Later, he was determined not to possess the minimum qualifications for a university professor.
Both of these men are perceived as brilliant...Einstein as a genius...

LSAT number = IQ ????

jason_perrlx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 09:46:51 AM »
on a serious note (I'm ashamed just typing that), Einstein only failed the portion of the entrance exam that was in French (swiss university).  He didn't speak french very well.

Watson's soft factors prolly would've given him an edge, but you never know.  It's a numbers game and, after all, it's not like he won the nobel prize all by himself. 

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 10:08:30 AM »
on a serious note (I'm ashamed just typing that), Einstein only failed the portion of the entrance exam that was in French (swiss university).  He didn't speak french very well.

Watson's soft factors prolly would've given him an edge, but you never know.  It's a numbers game and, after all, it's not like he won the nobel prize all by himself. 

http://specialcollections.vassar.edu/exhibits/einstein/essay2.html

"When the family moved to Italy in search of better business prospects, Einstein was left behind in Munich to complete his education. It soon became unbearable, and at age fifteen he quit school, rejoined his family and moped about for a year, finally deciding to study electrical engineering at a prestigious polytechnical institute in Zurich. The entrance examinations at the Eidgenossische Technische Hochschule (ETH) were quite rigorous, and Einstein failed the sections on biology, chemistry and French. But his scores in physics and mathematics were so strong he was admitted, pending a remedial year in a Swiss boarding school."

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 10:30:09 AM »
The whole idea about IQ is pretty dumb to me.  There are so many different forms of intelligence that it's not really reasonable to try to quantify it.

Check this out:
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=LATBKS.story&STORY=/www/story/12-03-2007/0004715134&EDATE=MON+Dec+03+2007,+07:50+AM