Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Temple Visit  (Read 2300 times)

aneffigy

• View Profile
Temple Visit
« on: December 11, 2007, 12:54:27 PM »
I'm looking into law school for an '09 start (possibly later, even), but since I was back in PA for the holidays I took the trek up to Temple yesterday from Pittsburgh.

First, a caveat: I have never liked Philadelphia. I'd been there a few times when I was younger, and I'm sure some of it is psychological because as a very young Pittsburgher I was trained to loathe the other side of our fair state, but I just think it's dirty, smelly, and just a bigger, uglier version of Pittsburgh. I've been to the Center City, I've been to the historic sites, and it just doesn't grab me.

Anyway, after fitting in some time for sightseeing, we went over to the admissions office, which is in a beautiful newer building. Unfortunately, that building houses only administrative offices and a few classrooms, but it was still pretty to look at nonetheless. The admissions staff was friendly. We went on a tour with an admissions officer and since exams were going on, there were a lot of rooms that were off limits, but I got the general gist of the place.

The law school building proper was nice. Lots of technology in all of the classrooms, including a few nice rooms exclusively for their lauded Trial Advocacy program. The library seems a bit outdated, but is seven floors, so it wasn't small.

I would still think of applying there, I suppose.. but ultimately I was so turned off by the surrounding area that I seriously doubt I would go there unless my options were limited. I go to school in Chicago now so I've seen rough parts of town before, but my current campus is in a very decent part of that city. It just was not a very pleasant place to be. Everything was run-down, there were very suspicious looking people on the sidewalks, and there wasn't much to do in the area. The admissions staffer told me that most of their law students live in Center City and commute here, and I can see why. The area did little to soothe my Philly-hating ways.

It was my first law school visit, and it did scare the crap out of me in some ways. But onward and upward.

stewie griffin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Temple Visit
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 01:17:36 PM »
I'm looking into law school for an '09 start (possibly later, even), but since I was back in PA for the holidays I took the trek up to Temple yesterday from Pittsburgh.

First, a caveat: I have never liked Philadelphia. I'd been there a few times when I was younger, and I'm sure some of it is psychological because as a very young Pittsburgher I was trained to loathe the other side of our fair state, but I just think it's dirty, smelly, and just a bigger, uglier version of Pittsburgh. I've been to the Center City, I've been to the historic sites, and it just doesn't grab me.

Anyway, after fitting in some time for sightseeing, we went over to the admissions office, which is in a beautiful newer building. Unfortunately, that building houses only administrative offices and a few classrooms, but it was still pretty to look at nonetheless. The admissions staff was friendly. We went on a tour with an admissions officer and since exams were going on, there were a lot of rooms that were off limits, but I got the general gist of the place.

The law school building proper was nice. Lots of technology in all of the classrooms, including a few nice rooms exclusively for their lauded Trial Advocacy program. The library seems a bit outdated, but is seven floors, so it wasn't small.

I would still think of applying there, I suppose.. but ultimately I was so turned off by the surrounding area that I seriously doubt I would go there unless my options were limited. I go to school in Chicago now so I've seen rough parts of town before, but my current campus is in a very decent part of that city. It just was not a very pleasant place to be. Everything was run-down, there were very suspicious looking people on the sidewalks, and there wasn't much to do in the area. The admissions staffer told me that most of their law students live in Center City and commute here, and I can see why. The area did little to soothe my Philly-hating ways.

It was my first law school visit, and it did scare the crap out of me in some ways. But onward and upward.

Is living right next to campus really that important to you?  I sense that it may be from your general reaction.  If so, Temple is definitely not for you.  Being a Philadelphian, Temple is high on my list, but it ain't because it's in a nice part of town.  Still, it's a great school, particularly considering how inexpensive it is.  I'm guessing you'd qualify for in-state, which makes it really cheap, by law school standards.

I think you should definitely consider visiting again if you decide to apply there and/or get in.  Philly has so much more going for it than you've seen.
Temple University Beasley School of Law 2011

you fine american.

Final record: 5-1-4

aneffigy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 01:36:47 PM »
Is living right next to campus really that important to you?  I sense that it may be from your general reaction.  If so, Temple is definitely not for you.  Being a Philadelphian, Temple is high on my list, but it ain't because it's in a nice part of town.  Still, it's a great school, particularly considering how inexpensive it is.  I'm guessing you'd qualify for in-state, which makes it really cheap, by law school standards.

I think you should definitely consider visiting again if you decide to apply there and/or get in.  Philly has so much more going for it than you've seen.

I live right next to campus now, as an undergrad, and I never really considered it that important. But yeah, it's definitely convenient. I have to agree that it seems like a very good school, though. And I actually talked to the admission rep about getting in-state. Apparently it would be very difficult if I waited to apply for a few years, which is the current plan. PA is one of the hardest states to have/get residency in. I'm only a PA resident until I graduate, and that's because my parents still live here. Once I graduate and go wherever I go, I lose it. So she told me I most likely would not get in-state tuition for the first year, and it would be tough to get it the following 2 years, as well.

What are some places I should visit the next time I make the trek there? I really want to like Philadelphia. I don't want to live or go to law school in Pittsburgh, but it would be nice to stay in PA to be somewhat close to family, and Philly is the only other big city here.

stewie griffin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 09:05:28 PM »

I live right next to campus now, as an undergrad, and I never really considered it that important. But yeah, it's definitely convenient. I have to agree that it seems like a very good school, though. And I actually talked to the admission rep about getting in-state. Apparently it would be very difficult if I waited to apply for a few years, which is the current plan. PA is one of the hardest states to have/get residency in. I'm only a PA resident until I graduate, and that's because my parents still live here. Once I graduate and go wherever I go, I lose it. So she told me I most likely would not get in-state tuition for the first year, and it would be tough to get it the following 2 years, as well.

What are some places I should visit the next time I make the trek there? I really want to like Philadelphia. I don't want to live or go to law school in Pittsburgh, but it would be nice to stay in PA to be somewhat close to family, and Philly is the only other big city here.

Wow, there are so many places I could tell you.  Obviously, if you haven't been to any of Philly's museums, you should check those out, especially the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Academy of Natural Science, the Franklin Institute, and the Mutter Museum.  In terms of neighborhoods, Rittenhouse Square is a great part of town in which to eat, go shopping, grab a beer (if you're 21, of course), or just walk around.  You should go to the Italian Market section (9th Street between Christian and Wharton, more or less), you should go to South Street (east of 7th) for local flavor, and you should check out Old City as well.  Those parts of town would give you a great feel for the city.  THAT'S the Philly you'd likely be spending most of your not-at-school time in, anyway, not North Philly.
Temple University Beasley School of Law 2011

you fine american.

Final record: 5-1-4

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 09:50:03 PM »

Wow, there are so many places I could tell you.  Obviously, if you haven't been to any of Philly's museums, you should check those out, especially the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Academy of Natural Science, the Franklin Institute, and the Mutter Museum.  In terms of neighborhoods, Rittenhouse Square is a great part of town in which to eat, go shopping, grab a beer (if you're 21, of course), or just walk around.  You should go to the Italian Market section (9th Street between Christian and Wharton, more or less), you should go to South Street (east of 7th) for local flavor, and you should check out Old City as well.  Those parts of town would give you a great feel for the city.  THAT'S the Philly you'd likely be spending most of your not-at-school time in, anyway, not North Philly.

I cosign what he said.

typycal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 02:04:15 AM »
there are some nice artsy parts of northern liberties/fishtown too....if you get past all of the not-so-nice parts up there.

traydeuce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 02:20:21 AM »

Wow. It's sad, I'm 22 and from Montco, not too far up in Montco either, just 10 minutes north of Willow Grove, and the vast majority of the time I've spent in the city has been at the Reading Terminal (unless you count Chestnut Hill, haha)... which he should go to too if he likes great cheap Chinese food. But yeah, Philly is a great city, Temple happens to not be in a nice part of town, but even North Philly has its charm. I'm not looking at Temple but I'd absolutely love to come back home and go to Penn. 

RedWine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 03:59:47 PM »
I go to Temple, and it's really not so bad.  Not many people live near school, I can only think of about two people I know who do.  It definitely has a commuter vibe.  A fair number of people live in the suburbs, the majority of people live in Center City.  I live close to the Broad Street Line and my commute is about 10-15 minutes, depending on how long it takes for a train to come, which is completely tolerable.  Also, I (and most of my friends) spend very little time on campus outside of class, which can be a drawback because you don't see other students as much, but can also be an upside because you don't see other students as much.  It all depends on how you look at it.

One thing I kind of like about Temple is that it knows its location and doesn't try to hide or downplay it.  They pretty much expect that if you're there, you know you need to be a little street-smart, and tell you this right away.  I don't feel sketched out on campus, but I don't recommend wandering around the neighborhood -- and there's no real reason to do that, anyway.  Food trucks are never more than 10 feet away, and the ones ringing Klein Hall are the best ones on campus  ;)

Honestly, if you really don't want to be in a gritty, urban location, it's probably a bad choice of schools.  If you think you could handle it, you probably can.

aneffigy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 07:33:46 PM »
To the OP, have you read "In The Deep Heart's Core" yet?

I have not. Half of the corps members have told me not to read it because it'll just get me down, and half have said that I need to read it before I make a final decision so I really not what I'm getting into. I take it you recommend it?

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 04:49:28 PM »
I go to Temple for my MM now, and I live in CC, so I am good to talk to about the living one place and going another scenario.  Temple is a BAD part of town, but it's actually pretty safe.  Temple fields the 3rd largest police force in the STATE - Philly is 1 and Pittsburgh is 2.  The cops are ever present and hardasses to homeless people who harass students.

The campus itself is useful.  It's not Penn, but everything is central, and the law school is literally 50 feet from the subway station.  I am good friends with the law librarian there, and he tells me all the time that people are turned off by the area but turned on by the nice facilities.

Go to those places mentioned before.  THAT is Philadelphia (I'd add Washington Square - that's my neighborhood and I love it).

If you want to see shady, go up to where Temple has its medical school.  You will want to kill yourself.