Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need some advice on the diversity statement  (Read 736 times)

schooler

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Need some advice on the diversity statement
« on: December 11, 2007, 12:17:07 PM »
So I am stuck on my diversity statement.  How did some of you approach it?  Did you establish a theme?  Is it very similar to you approached your PS?  Was it just the whole "overcame in the face of adversity?"   
NYU Class of 2011

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Need some advice on the diversity statement
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 12:23:54 PM »
My DS was a short story illustrating aspects of my youth.  I tried to tie in the themes I developed in my PS and had a section at the end stating what I had learned from my experiences.

This site has a pretty good example of a diversity statement:
http://www.deloggio.com/personal/joediver.htm

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 01:23:15 PM »
Your DS can talk about anything that makes you diverse (not just race/ethnicity) and should not talk about the same thing as your PS (otherwise you're wasting a chance to tall adcomms something different).  It also doesn't have to be about overcoming anything.  My ds talked about growing up in a high-profile family and how those experiences shaped me.  It's best if you can show how you're diverse, based on a story, etc, rather than just say I'm a fob, let me in!
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

schooler

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 03:51:15 PM »
Thanks for the help.  Care to share the DS?

I wrote a general description of my childhood, and I wondered if I should have some glorious ending of perserverance. It is not really a story. 
NYU Class of 2011

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 03:52:48 PM »
Your DS can talk about anything that makes you diverse (not just race/ethnicity) and should not talk about the same thing as your PS (otherwise you're wasting a chance to tall adcomms something different).  It also doesn't have to be about overcoming anything.  My ds talked about growing up in a high-profile family and how those experiences shaped me.  It's best if you can show how you're diverse, based on a story, etc, rather than just say I'm a fob, let me in!

agreed.
Columbia 3L