Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Penn State and Syracuse  (Read 2234 times)

azzurri38

• View Profile
Penn State and Syracuse
« on: December 11, 2007, 09:58:06 AM »
Does anyone have any information on these two schools?  It'd be great to hear something from anyone who has attended or knows someone who has attended.

todesgebruell

Re: Penn State and Syracuse
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 10:05:49 AM »
I go to PSU undergrad, don't know if that would help you.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 11:20:19 AM »
Does anyone have any information on these two schools?  It'd be great to hear something from anyone who has attended or knows someone who has attended.

I'm from the PSU area, so I know a little about PSU.

It does fairly well in the central PA area; outside this area, however, and it's hard to say how they do.  My guess is poorly. 

Keep in mind that the tuition is high there (28 grand per year or so), but they are fairly generous with scholarships. 

If you don't like rural areas, PSU isn't the place to be.  As you probably know, they have two campuses now.  You choose where you'd like to be, although you can take classes on both campuses (each campus has different specialties).  You can also choose to change campuses each year, from what I recall.

They're putting a lot of money into new buildings there.  I'd check out the website, that has great pictures of their projects. 

Also, the cost of living is very low in this area.  People tend to forget this, and just complain about the lower salaries in this area. 

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 07:06:06 PM »
I got to PSU-DSL in Carlisle. Just finished my first semester. Ask away.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 11:50:35 PM »
I got to PSU-DSL in Carlisle. Just finished my first semester. Ask away.

I live in that area, and I like the school, so I have some questions for you:

1) I'm assuming the $54,000 is over three years, correct?

2) Why did you choose PSU over other schools? Your stats are great, and you also chose the Carlisle campus.  Why did you do so?

3) Have you seen that it is easy to take classes at the other campus if you choose to do so?  Each campus has different specialties from what I recall; is this correct?

Thank you!

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 08:30:45 PM »
Yes, the scholarship is over 3 years - $18,000 per year.

I largely chose PSU because of the location. I was already living in South Central PA - my husband and I own a home here and we didn't want to move and make him give up his job. We will likely remain in this area after I'm done with law school. So my decision was largely based on personal reasons. That being said, I'm very happy with DSL. The school has a great sense of community. The faculty are impressive and very accessible. And despite what many people on here would have you believe, my fellow students are actually quite intelligent and hard-working.

It is very easy to take classes at the other campus (although as a 1L, you have to take all your classes at one place). We have a pretty sophisticated video-conferencing system, and prof's frequently travel from campus to campus (so even if you're in a videoconferenced course, you'll likely be taught in person for at least some of the class sessions). The campus "specialties" are largely based on location - for instance, it makes a lot of sense to study sports law at the PSU main campus, and Carlisle is generally a better option for people interested in gov't work because of its proximity to the state capital.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 09:45:09 PM »
Yes, the scholarship is over 3 years - $18,000 per year.

I largely chose PSU because of the location. I was already living in South Central PA - my husband and I own a home here and we didn't want to move and make him give up his job. We will likely remain in this area after I'm done with law school. So my decision was largely based on personal reasons. That being said, I'm very happy with DSL. The school has a great sense of community. The faculty are impressive and very accessible. And despite what many people on here would have you believe, my fellow students are actually quite intelligent and hard-working.

It is very easy to take classes at the other campus (although as a 1L, you have to take all your classes at one place). We have a pretty sophisticated video-conferencing system, and prof's frequently travel from campus to campus (so even if you're in a videoconferenced course, you'll likely be taught in person for at least some of the class sessions). The campus "specialties" are largely based on location - for instance, it makes a lot of sense to study sports law at the PSU main campus, and Carlisle is generally a better option for people interested in gov't work because of its proximity to the state capital.

Ah, so you live off-campus!  We may be neighbors.  :)

Thank you very much for the information.  We may see each other next year, as it's one of my top choices so far.

I am very interested in the PA government experience one can get at PSU. Do you know anyone who has taken advantage of the close proximity to Harrisburg? Are there any programs put into place by PSU to take advantage of this?

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 10:24:06 PM »
So I just typed a very detailed reply to your post, and then something weird happened with my computer and it all disappeared...grrr...

DSL has a great mentor program. It's not limited to gov't or to PA, but there are a lot of mentors who happen to be in Harrisburg and who happen to work either in the judiciary or in state or gov't. I just got matched up with a judge in Harrisburg, actually - he's a great guy, very helpful. DSL also has a field placement program that includes a lot of gov't positions. I'll see if I can get you a list (it's on the website, but I think it's on the secured portion, so you probably can't access it). I plan to do a field placement next year. They're similar to internships you might do over the summer, but you get credit for them, and they're positions that are reserved for DSL students. I imagine they're a great way to make connections and get a foot in the door.

Aside from those programs (and I'm sure there are more that I don't know about), I think the greatest assets here are the alumni network and the Career Services Office. This area is really dominated by DSL alums, and they're very willing to help DSL students. The CSO is also quite helpful - they've got a lot of connections in state government and in the judiciary.

Again, I'm only a 1L, so I have limited experience with the legal job search. From what I've heard though, if you want to work in central PA, a JD from Dickinson will help A LOT.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 10:51:50 PM »
So I just typed a very detailed reply to your post, and then something weird happened with my computer and it all disappeared...grrr...

DSL has a great mentor program. It's not limited to gov't or to PA, but there are a lot of mentors who happen to be in Harrisburg and who happen to work either in the judiciary or in state or gov't. I just got matched up with a judge in Harrisburg, actually - he's a great guy, very helpful. DSL also has a field placement program that includes a lot of gov't positions. I'll see if I can get you a list (it's on the website, but I think it's on the secured portion, so you probably can't access it). I plan to do a field placement next year. They're similar to internships you might do over the summer, but you get credit for them, and they're positions that are reserved for DSL students. I imagine they're a great way to make connections and get a foot in the door.

Aside from those programs (and I'm sure there are more that I don't know about), I think the greatest assets here are the alumni network and the Career Services Office. This area is really dominated by DSL alums, and they're very willing to help DSL students. The CSO is also quite helpful - they've got a lot of connections in state government and in the judiciary.

Again, I'm only a 1L, so I have limited experience with the legal job search. From what I've heard though, if you want to work in central PA, a JD from Dickinson will help A LOT.

Thank you very much.  Your information corroborates what I've heard from other sources that I know in the area (lawyers and Dickinson alumni). 

You are right.  If one wants to work in central PA, it is a great degree. 

It's also nice, because they offered me $20,000/yr.  The requirements for the scholarship aren't stringent, either; I have to remain in the top half of the class.  It's not a guarantee, but it's fair.

My wife works in this area, so I wouldn't have to take out any loans for housing (since COL is so cheap here).  Owing only $24,000 for law school is very enticing...and this area is nice. 

Do you know the average salary coming out of PSU?

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 11:05:27 PM »
You must have had a pretty impressive application, because $20,000 a year is a very high scholarship amount for PSU (at least compared with what people got last year). Congrats!

I don't happen to know the average salary off the top of my head. I'm sure it's listed on US News or a similar rankings web site.