Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: -  (Read 2299 times)

Mpaule

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chilling T14 Employment Prospects
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 01:54:44 AM »

The ABA data specifically says that they're seeking employment.

I believe it is possible to seek employment from the grave..... or at least from a psychiatric facility.... or maybe a jail?

Hannibal

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love it when a plan comes together
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 02:31:38 AM »
I've interviewed engineers from MIT with a 3.9 GPA, MSEE that we didn't hire because
(a) they were complete douchebags; or (b) they were so socially awkward that it was impossible to see them existing outside of academia.

I'm almost certain that these people at the T14 fit in to one of these two categories.
Attending: Stanford
In: Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Chicago($$$), Berkeley, Michigan($$$$), Columbia($$$$), Penn($$$$), Virginia($$$$), Duke($$$$), Northwestern($$$$)

Nizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 03:08:57 AM »
You really think it is that easy to find a job from these schools if you are the WORST in you class grade-wise?  I understand we're all smart, but what does it say about you if you can't manage to stay in the top 93-94 percent on your class on a regular basis.

If this was the only possible reason, i don't see what the problem would be.  Of course, as people have mentioned, there are other possibilities usually based around standards/pickiness and complete social incompetance.

qwertyman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 04:09:40 PM »
But is it really that bad to be ranked last in a class of the best law students in the country in the first place? I mean, to get into somewhere like Columbia or Chicago you have to be a star in college, and a star on the LSAT in the first place. Someone simply has to come in last, and at a T14 it may be more a result of statistics than of that person being lazy and stupid. Put another way, nobody stupid and lazy gets into a school like that in the first place.

EatYourVeggies

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 04:16:59 PM »
There's also a chance that at least some of these people have some sort of honor code violation that they're required to disclose to potential employers.  I imagine there are at least one or two people in each class who get into trouble...

treefity350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 04:31:04 PM »
but what does it say about you if you can't manage to stay in the top 93-94 percent on your class on a regular basis

I hope this is sarcasm, anyone who is confident that they will be in the top 6-7% of their class at a top 10 law school probably isn't going to be. Do you realize what that means having to overcome? The quality of the student body at these schools (at least as far as my expectations, which I have reason to believe are accurate) is going to be a whole different league from anything you've ever seen before.

I am confident that if I work hard and stay on my game I'll be in the top 30% of my class, but I think anything above this has a lot to do with subjective factors (i.e. how in line your particular writing style/area of interest coincides with that of your professors).

ETA: Ok, I read your response wrong, I see that now, but this is still solid for anyone out there who might have thought they were the shxt.
Remember when I was at the picnic - the company picnic - and I hit the ball over the fence? You guys didn't think I'd catch it too but I did. I'm fast as s**t - 17 stolen bases in '72, 18 in '91.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 04:32:28 PM »
but what does it say about you if you can't manage to stay in the top 93-94 percent on your class on a regular basis

I hope this is sarcasm, anyone who is confident that they will be in the top 6-7% of their class at a top 10 law school probably isn't going to be. Do you realize what that means having to overcome? The quality of the student body at these schools (at least as far as my expectations, which I have reason to believe are accurate) is going to be a whole different league from anything you've ever seen before.

I am confident that if I work hard and stay on my game I'll be in the top 30% of my class, but I think anything above this has a lot to do with subjective factors (i.e. how in line your particular writing style/area of interest coincides with that of your professors).

Are you criticizing someone for saying they won't be bottom 6% of their class while you claim you'll be in the top 30%?

???

treefity350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 04:33:48 PM »

Are you criticizing someone for saying they won't be bottom 6% of their class while you claim you'll be in the top 30%?

???

see above, my mistake
Remember when I was at the picnic - the company picnic - and I hit the ball over the fence? You guys didn't think I'd catch it too but I did. I'm fast as s**t - 17 stolen bases in '72, 18 in '91.