Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: no no... THIS was awkward  (Read 1570 times)

JMFM2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
no no... THIS was awkward
« on: December 10, 2007, 06:36:52 PM »
So I am sitting at work today, minding my own business when the COO of the law firm I work for comes in.  We chat like normal, and he turns to leave, but then comes back.

"So is it true what I heard about you?" he asks.

I draw a blank.  "Huh?"

"The law school application thing.  Is it true?"

Mind you, my employer does not know that I am considering leaving in the summer.  Or rather, they aren't supposed to.  But somehow the managing partner told the COO and the COO confronted me about it in front of several coworkers.

So much for flying under the radar.

I do not know how the MP found out, how it came up in conversation with the COO, or why it was even important enough to be a topic of conversation.  The kicker?  I've never had an actual conversation with the MP.  I wasn't positive he knew who I was.

I honestly felt like I had been kicked in the stomach.  So that was my afternoon!

Mississippi1212

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: no no... THIS was awkward
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 08:30:54 PM »
I'm kinda in a similar situation, but I don't work for a law firm. I've made sure to mention it in passing a few times so it may not be a total shock this summer..."I took the lsat last September, but...I don't know..." I guess you do the same thing I do where you check out lsac.org and LSD and have to quickly minimize it when coworkers come up...

rabbit9198

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 11:25:11 PM »
Same for me, too...only I have to totally play up the "I dunno, I might defer, *if only I felt like I had really interesting work to do*" angle, in order to try to get myself promoted/not stuck with boring work for the next 6 months because they would think I was leaving & not worth investing in...

And yes, I am constantly minimizing windows to avoid detection.
Read my blog about 1L life at Yale (and Harvard): http://similarlysituated.blogspot.com/

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/rabbit9198/

YLS 2011

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 11:26:51 PM »
So I am sitting at work today, minding my own business when the COO of the law firm I work for comes in.  We chat like normal, and he turns to leave, but then comes back.

"So is it true what I heard about you?" he asks.

I draw a blank.  "Huh?"

"The law school application thing.  Is it true?"

Mind you, my employer does not know that I am considering leaving in the summer.  Or rather, they aren't supposed to.  But somehow the managing partner told the COO and the COO confronted me about it in front of several coworkers.

So much for flying under the radar.

I do not know how the MP found out, how it came up in conversation with the COO, or why it was even important enough to be a topic of conversation.  The kicker?  I've never had an actual conversation with the MP.  I wasn't positive he knew who I was.

I honestly felt like I had been kicked in the stomach.  So that was my afternoon!

did u list where you work or submit a resume on your apps?
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

JMFM2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 07:40:30 AM »

I did.  I guess maybe he was contacted somehow?  I dunno.

kmac128

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 08:13:34 AM »
im in the military and my bosses have been great, everyday, one of them, (i have a few) comes in and asks if i got in anywhere new yet.  or theyll hear something about some bill in congress or some case before the supreme court and theyll ask me to explain it to them, as if applying to law school is like going, graduating, and practicing for decades.

but theyve been really good about the whole thing

gowi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Emory '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
In September, my boss's boss came in and flat out asked me if I was looking to leave. He thinks I'm looking at another job though. Good thing is I was promoted a couple of weeks later with a nice raise.  :D

My boss, on the other hand, does know and has been great about it.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 08:26:22 AM »

I did.  I guess maybe he was contacted somehow?  I dunno.

maybe someone at one of the law schools you applied to knew your bosses boss, so he called to ask about you...
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 09:26:02 AM »
I work at a mid-sized law firm and my boss (a partner) wrote one of my LORs.  For the most part they have been great about it and are actually excited for me.  (There's one exception, but I don't think he liked me beforehand, haha.)

I still feel awkward about spending a ton of time on LSD/LSN though, and I do the minimizing thing every time I hear footsteps.

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 10:48:48 AM »
I told my boss to consider me having given my 10 month notice, and I gave him a premature apologie if I get in nowhere