Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Harvard v. Yale?  (Read 8130 times)

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Re: Harvard v. Yale?
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2007, 10:28:34 PM »
Probably also worth mentioning that there are many more HLS alums on the Supreme Court than YLS grads (5+ to 2).  Thomas shouldn't even count on Yale's side, since he doesn't think the degree is worth the paper it's printed on.  If you plan to be a Supreme Court Justice, it's probably best to go to Harvard.  Particularly if you want to be a Chief Justice.  I can't name a Chief Justice from YLS.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2007, 10:33:52 PM »
Probably also worth mentioning that there are many more HLS alums on the Supreme Court than YLS grads (5+ to 2).  Thomas shouldn't even count on Yale's side, since he doesn't think the degree is worth the paper it's printed on.  If you plan to be a Supreme Court Justice, it's probably best to go to Harvard.  Particularly if you want to be a Chief Justice.  I can't name a Chief Justice from YLS.

HLS also produces like 3X more graduates ;)
YLS c/o 2009

Eveman in Ingmarland

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2007, 10:38:19 PM »
There is too much shoptalk on this thread. Man, as soon as I get on Big Brother y'all goin' to Gitmo. Just FYI.

devilishlyblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2007, 10:44:57 PM »
Risk aversion is rational behavior -- it's a natural consequence of diminishing marginal returns, which is very rational.

Put more concretely --
If the "utility gap" (i.e. how satisfied you'll be) between the bottom and the middle of the class is larger than the gap between the middle and the top, and if you have no idea where in Harvard's class you'll be, then it's rational to pick Yale.

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
YLS Grad:

Survivor Champion

HLS Grad:

I love New York reject.

The difference is clear.

That's I Love New York 2 and a clear point for Harvard.

Eveman in Ingmarland

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2007, 10:55:38 PM »
Risk aversion is rational behavior -- it's a natural consequence of diminishing marginal returns, which is very rational.

Put more concretely --
If the "utility gap" (i.e. how satisfied you'll be) between the bottom and the middle of the class is larger than the gap between the middle and the top, and if you have no idea where in Harvard's class you'll be, then it's rational to pick Yale.

It's rational to the extent that it's logically consistent with the parameters you mentioned. However, it doesn't mean that what makes you happy is rational, which is my sticking point. Not quite like Samuelson's Colleague, but not too different either

devilishlyblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2007, 11:14:38 PM »
Yeah -- the parameters might not hold.  For example, those looking for SCOTUS clerkships need to be at the top and if they're not there then middle vs. bottom doesn't really matter.  Or some students (say with vastly below LSAT/GPA) might well suspect they'd be very near the bottom of Harvard's class, in which case they don't need to invoke risk aversion to choose Yale.  Etc.

Eveman in Ingmarland

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2007, 11:23:36 PM »
Yeah -- the parameters might not hold.  For example, those looking for SCOTUS clerkships need to be at the top and if they're not there then middle vs. bottom doesn't really matter.  Or some students (say with vastly below LSAT/GPA) might well suspect they'd be very near the bottom of Harvard's class, in which case they don't need to invoke risk aversion to choose Yale.  Etc.

This is why I love economics so much. You can explain anything with it. Even why your own explanations don't make sense.

EnlightenedOne

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2007, 03:11:20 AM »
If you want to get on a fast track to a position in the department of justice, take a lesson from Regent graduates. If Clinton gets the nomination, go to Yale. If Obama gets the nomination, go to Harvard. (It's pretty obvious a republican won't win.)

P.S. I'm rooting for Obama because I didn't bother applying to Yale.

Startin Up Soon!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2007, 03:29:08 AM »
They're both so great that marginal differences in prestige don't matter.  If I get a bit lucky and get into Yale, i don't think i'd be able to decide w/o ASWs.